Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fox Dropframe, Poc Tectal, Kortal, or….
  • I have a Bell Super DH with removable chin guard – great helmet, but it’s a bit unwieldy when worn as a half shell.

Following previous crashes, I do want some extra protection – what’s good from the above (obvs trying on always helps), but….

impatientbull

The Giro Tyrant is good but warm. I’m on my second. Having had a Fox Proframe I wouldn’t get a Dropframe due to the lack of an adjustable cradle. I picked up a TLD A3 in the sales which has a good level of coverage and fits me well, but I haven’t ridden in it yet.

Oh yeah, hadn’t seen that – not an issue if it fits well, but a pain if it doesn’t

1timmy1
    Free Member

Probably best to order a few and see what fits best and send the rest back. I tried a POC Kortal and a TLD A3 but they just didn’t fit my head shape. Ended up with a Giro Manifest because it was the most comfortable.

submarined
    Free Member

Tectal Race is the comfiest thing I’ve ever had on my head.
    My mate with a similarly massive, but different shaped noggin likes his too.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Just bought a Tectal after trying so many different helmets, none of which fitted my xenomorph head.
    This fits like it was made for me.

Interestingly I have a 59cm head, but the 55-58cm fits. So if they fit, they size a bit big.

v7fmp

pretty much same experience as chrisdw. Poc Tectal Race spin, fits like a glove.

by my pervious Giro i went with the larger size and it was massive, so got the M/L and its perfect.

slowoldman

POC Tectal comfy here too. Agree with sizing, the small I have is supposedly smaller than my head.

Anyway on the strength of that I also bought an Octal for the road bike.

v7fmp

@slowoldman – how did sizing, comfort and fit differ between the two helmets? As i am thinking of a more road based one for my daily commute.

mrdobermann
    Free Member

I’ve been a fan of the POC Tectal for a long time now but the Troy lee A3 out shines it for me. It’s very comfortable and a great fit, when I go back to the tectal it feels basic and the fits not as good as I previously thought. Never liked the A1, A2 never suited my head but the A3 is spot on. My son has the drop frame great helmet but he finds it too hot!

argee

Not sure what the question is, as the Tectal, Kortal, A3, etc are all standard helmets that pretty much offer the same level as any other helmet, the Dropframe provides a little more coverage and weight, a bit like a chin guardless full facer, same with the Giro Tyrant and the Alpina Rootage.

Are you looking at other removable chin guard helmets, the ‘enduro’ style Dropframe/Tyrant/etc or just a normal lid?

Personally, i have 3 helmets, i have the Giro Montaro for all round stuff, the Dropframe for enduro stuff with uplifts or push ups, and the TLD DH helmet for those BPW days and the likes, i’m guessing you’re after the middle one?

slowoldman

@v7fmp The Octal is more adjustable – small is 50-56. Very comfortable.

Oh and Oops, I have a Trabec not a Tectal! XS/S is 51-54.

stayhigh

A timely post indeed as I’ve been eying up the Tectal and Kortal to replace my aged IXS Trail. A quick tape measure gives me a a 57.5cm head circumference; how are people finding the sizing?

stanfree
    Free Member

Just sold a 661 full face , Fox speedframe and POC Tectal race , now have a Proframe and speedframe pro. Also have a IXS for the gravel bike.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Don’t buy without trying on and jumping around a shop first.

POCs look nice but feel nothing special to me once on the head. High end Giro and Met all feel better to me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.