Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Fox DOSS update
  • getonyourbike
    Free Member

Just saw this on my Facebook feed from Mojo. The lever looks a lot better now it’s below the bars.

http://vimeo.com/36285214

honourablegeorge

It does – still not sure about the side mounted cable though.

And it should be kashima coated, however pointless that would be. it just should.

PJM1974
    Free Member

At £350 it’s far too expensive…

…not long ago, £350 bought you a set of Fox Vanilla R forks, with enough change for a headset.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

…not long ago, £350 bought you a set of Fox Vanilla R forks, with enough change for a headset.

They were £200 when I was in my 2nd year, that was post the year when they all belw up the dampers, and pre the stanchion wearing years.

shepleg
    Free Member

legend
    Free Member

I’m interested to see the price of the Thomson dropper if that happens

james
    Free Member

So the lever(s?) will go under the bars, good. Can’t say I’ve looked in detail but is that 2 levers?
    Only 3 position (2 dropped), rather than the infinite position reverb/i950/etc
    The upper rubber loop cable guide looks alright I s’pose, but that velcro thing below just looks gash IMO

Going by what gets said on here whenever Thomson doing something new gets suggested, Thomson won’t make a dropper post (nor handlebars, nor QR seatclamp?)
    IIRC they’re not setup to the kind of machine work other things would require. Plus bikes aren’t their main work. Or so (I think) people say

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I think I’d prefer the 3 positons rather than the infinite position because you don’t really need the infinite feature.

MSP

I kinda agree on the three position being preferable to infinite, but I do suspect that the infinite system is actually simpler to implement, both for the lever and the mechanism on the seatpost itself, 2 levers seems a bit of a faff and unnecessary complication.

matt_outandabout

*waits for the ‘help with my DOSS’ threads being as common as ‘help with my reverb’ threads.

Lego
    Free Member

Specialized Command post with a £100 or so premium for the Fox logo springs to mind…

rickmeister

Having owned a very early Joplin (literally in the skip), for a few years and now a Reverb… I think that the DOSS post has missed the point. The technology has moved on:

1. Cable vs hydraulic. The cable system needed greater maintainence due to rusty cables. The pin to actuate the system on a Joplin needed a certain clearance under the saddle to work. Only certain saddles had high enough rails. Hydraulic, sealed from the elements, once bled, forget mostly.

2. The cable operates the device from the saddle clamp area and the cable moves. granted this happens on my Reverb but surely the way forward is to have the cable entering the post lower in such a way as its static when the saddle drops. Thinking there was a hydraulic post with the line coming from the post base.

Then, £350 for this and its gone backwards imo.

R

james
    Free Member

You don’t really need a dropper post, a seat QR on a standard post will ‘do’
    But infinte gives (a lot) more choice rather than 40mm fox has picked and max 125mm

getonyourbike
    Free Member

But why do you need the choice? It means you can’t get it to the intermediate positon as easily and you’ll probably get it wrong trying so it’s either too low or too high. The 40mm drop makes perfect sense for stuff where you want it dropped a touch so you can sprint easier and move around on the bike better but still be able to be able to sit down and pedal intermitantly.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

That video makes it look a lot better than initial reports had suggested. I’d happily spend £100 on it. £350 is presumably some kind of sick joke…

peakprowler
    Free Member

And your LH shifter goes ???????????????????

robhughes
    Free Member

james.
    Your right.Thomson are precision engineers.

Home

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Who needs a front mech? Single ring ftw!

No, I think Fox will have that covered.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

James I’m pretty sure Thomson stated first hand they are making an adjustable. It was on a video on here iirc.

peakprowler
    Free Member

getonyourbike – Member
    Who needs a front mech? Single ring ftw!
    Plenty

No, I think Fox will have that covered
    ……. mounting underbar & the size of those levers … I don’t believe they have it figured out actually & they look extremely vulnerable above the bars

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Fox DOSS update’ is closed to new replies.