Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fox deterrent
  • jonnych
    Free Member

Has anyone got any experience with keeping foxes out of the garden? It got one of our ducks this morning and I don't really want it getting any of the others!

uplink
    Free Member

They don't [supposedly] like the smell of male piss

other than that – keep them locked up until you're up & about

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Dunno mate! With my parents hen's the only think which kept em safe was locking them up at night!

Don't worry justice will be delivered boxing day!

jonnych
    Free Member

Trouble is we have quite a large garden meaning we can't really keep an eye on them the whole time.. And i'm not sure i have a large enough bladder to cover the whole garden

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

mtbfix

You only need to scent mark prominent spots on the boundary. Leave a 2l. bottle in the bathroom and build a good stock pile for dominating the local fauna. That or get a decent fence or maybe some geese for defence against marauding dogs.

anokdale
    Free Member

Llama pee is the stuff they use near us, okay if you have Llamas but there are a couple of farms near us, Abergavenny, that own Llamas and the foxes back off. Failing that lash in your garden but dont get caught otherwise you will end up on the Sex Offenders Register !!!

jonnych
    Free Member

Llamas may be the answer, i've always fancied them! Failing that, how long will a 'scent mark' stay around and how spread out can they be?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Lock 'em up at night. Or get yourself a cat like my Dennis – I've seen him launch into an attack at the mere sight of a fox, without any sort of warning or hesitation – the poor bugger couldn't get away from him quick enough.

BTW, Ratty's solution wouldn't help – one dead fox simply means that the territory is free for another fox to move in. The size of a fox litter is even dependant in how much territory is available, ie, less foxes = larger litters.

jonnych
    Free Member

Well they are locked up at night but after letting them out this morning they wandered down into our field and a lot of quacking later we were minus a duck, i even saw the fox running off with it

tankslapper
    Free Member

You could try creosote we had quite good results with that or you may wish to consider electric fencing or something like SCOOT

Try this link for help http://www.foxproject.org.uk/

You may also want to try a motion sensor water deterrent as below

CheesybeanZ

here foxy foxy

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

BTW, Ratty's solution wouldn't help – one dead fox simply means that the territory is free for another fox to move in. The size of a fox litter is even dependant in how much territory is available, ie, less foxes = larger litters.

Ernie – I can guarantee you, after years of experience, that the lead injection method works fantastically well! The problem with your theory being that it only kicks in at maximum population density, by the time you've got to that you're already fecked, much better to keep a lower population density, and have some fun in the process.

hodge

Just piss on the boundary, an old trick indeed. Collect you piss in a bottle and when you have enough squirt it along the boundry.

The next best thing is to eat the ducks yourself and piss the fox right off!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

50 hounds and some horses?

PikeBN14
    Free Member

I use one of those Scarecrow water squirter sensor things (up above) and it's stopped whatever was sh**ing in my garden doing so. It's jsut a pain when you go to put some washing on the line and forget about it!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fox deterrent’ is closed to new replies.