Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Fox Airshock experts what's causing this please?
  • cardo

I have an RP23 Fox shock and it leaves a lot of fluid on the shaft of the airshock(as in more than it ever has historically and enough to worry about it) I have tried replacing the seals with new ones and whilst this worked initially after a couple of hours of riding there was rather a lot of fluid built up on the shaft again. The last time it did this it was dripping off the shock and onto the frame….Apart from that one problem in nearly 3 years it’s never been an issue before and has always been well behaved. I can’t see any damage or scratches hence why I’m asking if anyone else has experienced this before.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve always found the seals pretty effective at keeping oil etc where its supposed to be.
    Is the damping still working as it should? Perhaps its damping oil leaking out the circuit and being expelled past the seals. Its usually a little runnier than float fluid, so may get past the seals more easily?

cardo

It holds pressure (195 psi)and has no other issues apart from this weeping of float fluid. I’m sure it is float fluid as it’s blue. It’s puzzling as the shock is such a simple design and the seals were replaced with new ones.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    schnor
    Free Member

I find if I use too much float fluit in the can (3ml IIRC) or smear too much on the seals (2 ml) any excess immediately goes onto the shaft. In time after a service it settles, and when I reopen it for the next service there’s always enough in there. If it drips over the travel ring after its settled down then that would be too much leakage for my liking.

cardo

Mojo technical basically said if it’s holding pressure then it’s not an issue, the constant over lubing of the seal although a bit messy won’t actually do any harm, 🙂 probably more good.

bigyinn
    Free Member

So its working ok then? In which case, as mojo says, dont worry about it.
    Perhaps its just with the cold weather that the seals aren’t quite as flexible?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Fox Airshock experts what's causing this please?’ is closed to new replies.