Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fox Air Can Service – STW Expert Help Please!
  • doug_basqueMTB.com

I’m about to do the air can service on my Rp23. The instructions seem pretty clear, remove air from shock, then shock from bike, then pull and unscrew air can, clean, add FOX FLOAT FLUID, reassemble.

I don’t have the rebuild kit because I’m just wanting to open and clean and am not planning on replacing the o-rings etc because all that seems sound and there’s no loss of air or anything.

So a couple of questions – 1. wtf is Fox Float Fluid?? 2. Is it as easy as it sounds?

I’ve never done this before as I’d usually just send everything to TF once a year but that’s not practical at the moment.

petetheplumber
    Free Member

Its very easy, don’t now the fox fluid wt but I have also used 7.5wt oil that worked fine. The fox fluid seems heaver than 7.5wt.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Cheers Pete. I’ve got some 5 and some 10wt, I’ll shove in the 10wt and see how I get on.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Unscrew the can by hand BEFORE you remove the shock from the bike!

Davy
    Free Member

Doug, the Float fluid is not the same as the damping oil. It’s much more viscous, as it’s solely designed to lubricate the seals etc.
    To be honest, it’s worth investing in a rebuild kit, as there’s a very good chance that you’ll damage the seals as you pull the air can off. You get a full set of seals, and a sachet of float fluid for a tenner.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

To be honest, it’s worth investing in a rebuild kit, as there’s a very good chance that you’ll damage the seals as you pull the air can off.

I you’re a ham fisted oaf, I service mine once a month and have only replaced the seals once in 14 months.

IA

Float fluid is more like 85wt gearbox oil, no where near the same as 7.5wt damping fluid!

You’ve got a bike presumably worth at least 1k+, and begrudge spending the tenner to service it properly?

doug_basqueMTB.com

Guys, cheers for the advice.

IA, it’s not the tenner, it’s getting stuff posted out here (south of Spain) that adds up the price!

Kingtut, what do you use when you service yours?

If I need the kit then I’ll hold off and order it along with some other stuff. It sounds like it might be a good idea to have spare seals because I can’t really afford to be without my bike for more than a few days. I was wanting to start doing this a bit more regularly as my bike’s getting a lot of use/abuse at the moment.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Kingtut, what do you use when you service yours?

Fox Fluid.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Cool! Do you buy it in bulk if you’re not using the o-rings every time? Can’t see it on TF or CRC.

guitarhero
    Free Member
    doug_basqueMTB.com

doh – IDIOT! I hadn’t checked Mojo. I guess I’ll just stump up for the postage then and get some bushings while I’m at it. If a job’s worth doing and all that…

Thanks for the advice guys.

DezB
    Free Member

Markanthonycycles on Ebay sell the Float Fluid too. Not sure if its cheaper.
    Can’t see that you’d need a seal kit just for a routine service.

DezB
    Free Member

Unfortunately, I lost the hi-res video, but this is worth a watch – http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r90/dezb99/Junk/?action=view&current=air_vanilla_low.flv

scruff
    Free Member

Watch the RP23 sleeve doesnt spin round on the aircan when tightening up. You need to make sure the aircan is tight, the sleeve is kinda seperate and can spin round and not do owt.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fox Air Can Service – STW Expert Help Please!’ is closed to new replies.