Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Fox 38 or Zeb?
  • Premier Icon TheGhost

I need a fork for my bike. Does anyone have any thoughts on the 38 vs the Zeb?

Premier Icon honourablegeorge
    Free Member

You can buy two Zebs for the price of one 38, which pretty much settles the argument for me.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

Having ridden neither, I’d say it’s akin to Lyrik Vs 36 where there is no real performance difference, but there is a price difference.

Any reason it’s between those two only? How about the EXT Era?

Premier Icon ta11pau1

Or the Manitou Mezzer pro?

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

Don’t get me started in the Mezzer. My advice would be don’t buy a fork if you can’t buy something as simple as a seal kit.

Premier Icon howsyourdad1

I’m also thinking about this. By all accounts they perform equally as well as each other and you would not be able to tell the difference. The zeb is cheaper and lighter. However the fox has the desire factor.

I’m waiting until next bike park season to decide, May next year. I have heard of some creaking csu  on zebs . Plus Öhlins will have released their 38mm fork by then

Premier Icon ta11pau1

Don’t get me started in the Mezzer. My advice would be don’t buy a fork if you can’t buy something as simple as a seal kit.

Like this seal kit?

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/manitou-mezzer-pro-comp-servicekit-932088

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

Nine to be had in the UK and getting them from Europe will be noticeably more difficult next year. Hotlines are not great at carrying spares for Manitou and already, they have revised the lowers twice but Hotlines refuse to acknowledge there is an issue.

I really wanted a Mezzer, I just didn’t want Hotlines pulling my pants down and leaving me with a fork in pieces for months on end.

Premier Icon ta11pau1

Far enough, good to know actually as I’m looking at buying some Mezzer Pro’s over winter.

Premier Icon zezaskar
    Free Member

Aren’t there already creaking 38s?

Also, for me it’s simple, anytime you have two products performing close enough that you end up with countless inconclusive “Vs” articles, I’ll go with the cheapest one. Even easier with such a big difference in this case.

Not to mention that RS spares are both cheaper and way easier to find

Premier Icon honourablegeorge
    Free Member

howsyourdad1

I have heard of some creaking csu on zebs

Reviews of the 38 (Enduro mag for one) had plenty complaints about creaks

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/new-fox-float-38-2021-review/

Premier Icon dandasbike
    Free Member

zeb for me, cheaper by quite a margin and far less likely to creak than the 38’s. mezzer sound interesting but poor back up rules them out for me.

Premier Icon poah
    Free Member

mezzer pro is my choice.

but poor back up rules them out for me.

never had an issue with backup from manitou. what is likely to go wrong?

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

I know you’ve been okay with your Poah, but the reason there have been two lower revisions so far are because of known issues with bushing tolerance and lose bottom out bumpers.

That’s fine when you get US level of service but if all we get is Hotlines, it’s a genuine concern.

Premier Icon TheGhost

Mezzer not an option for me.

Has anyone found a Black 29er Zeb Ultimate in stock?

Premier Icon poah
    Free Member

yet my mezzer is an old manufacturer date and it perfectly good. no issues with top out bumper or bushings.

Premier Icon dhrider
    Free Member

I’ve one of the first Mezzer pros, no issues with mine either.

Premier Icon tdog
    Free Member

What’s it going on !?

a Paradox v3 by any chance 😜

Premier Icon TheGhost

I’ll be dropping it to 150mm and yes it will either go on the Paradox or my RSD Middle Child.

I’d get a 36 or lyric at 150mm then.

Premier Icon doug_basqueMTB.com

I’ve got the 38’s, they’re great. Marginal performance improvement over the new 36’s at the same 170mm travel. Certainly it’s a slight improvement at “singletrack” speeds over bike park speeds where it may be more noticeable. They look great though, mine are pistachio green. There are some reports of creaking (not isolated to the 38’s) and also reports that fox are fixing very quickly. That’s what I’ve heard anyway, I’ve not had an issue. I was riding with someone on the Zeb recently, a pro, and he was delighted with them. He was faster than me on my 38’s but there is a possibility that wasn’t due to the forks 🙂

Premier Icon droodling
    Free Member

I had a Mezzer Pro, lasted a week before bushing problems, Zero support from Hotlines until a couple of weeks after I sent it back to wiggle and insisted on a refund. Happy with the Lyrik I have now.

I find it hard to fathom the price difference between Fox and Rockshox.

Premier Icon chakaping

Really fancy a Zeb myself to run at 180 (or even 190) on my 170mm 29er. It has too a low BB anyway so it’d be win-win.
    Heard rumours about pro feedback that they were too stiff, but I never had that complaint with my old Totem or 66 and I’d like that “power steering” feel again.

I had a Mezzer Pro, lasted a week before bushing problems, Zero support from Hotlines

Works on Poah’s iPad.

I find it hard to fathom the price difference between Fox and Rockshox.

Silverfish run some pretty sweet VW vans.

Premier Icon TheGhost

@Howsyourdad1

I already have a brilliant 150mm 2021 Lyric on one bike I don’t want the same on the other. 🙂

Premier Icon ads678

Fox look great, Zeb is a stupid name, but….

You can buy two Zebs for the price of one 38, which pretty much settles the argument for me.

Premier Icon bigyan
    Free Member

I would lean Fox for spare parts availability, RockShox for price.

Or STW answer, whatever matches your bike.

Premier Icon marksnook

Are fox spares more readily available than Rockshox spares?!
    Most of mates wouldn’t touch anything but fox. Then a mate got on my lyrik and couldn’t believe how much smoother than every fox fork felt. Fox sort of have that vw image in my head, everyone thinks they are better but in reality everything is pretty even

@theghost

I already have a brilliant 150mm 2021 Lyric on one bike I don’t want the same on the other. 🙂

Fox 36 then 🙂

Premier Icon philjunior
    Free Member

Zeb for me, servicing possible knowing you’re not going to need any weird special tools.

I know someone who has paid full retail to replace an OEM fox 38 spec’d on his bike with a Zeb, too, so I’m not sure it comes down to just price. I’m not going to pretend I would notice or at least be bothered by the performance difference myself.

So yeah, Zeb if you’re paying anything like RRP.

Premier Icon sharkattack
    Free Member

I really want a 38 but at RRP it’s absolutely not happening. My 36 at 180mm is just a bit too flexible and it’s always been on the harsh side. You just can’t wind the compression far enough off without running too much sag. For the sake of £1300 or something, I’ll just live with it.

I would have a Zeb but it would break up the Fox monopoly on my bike and look out of place. I’m not really a tart in any aspect of life but I refuse to break my Kashima triangle of fork/shock/dropper!

Premier Icon bigyan
    Free Member

Are fox spares more readily available than Rockshox spares?!

Yes, just look at a Fox parts diagram and the RockShox spare parts catalogue for a fork or shock. Damaged RockShox stuff is scrap all the time as they dont sell a shock shaft, fork lower bushes, damper bladder (for newer models, they used to sell them) etc etc.

It depends how long people keep stuff, I regularly fix older Fox suspension, but am unable to repair a 3 year old RockShox part as they dont sell them. There are some aftermarket parts for some things, but nothing available for others.

RockShox are generally much easier to home service, much less propriety tooling.

Premier Icon chakaping

I’m not really a tart in any aspect of life but I refuse to break my Kashima triangle of fork/shock/dropper!

Sorry mate, you are a tart.

Premier Icon TheGhost

“Kashima Triangle” – brilliant 🙂

Premier Icon sharkattack
    Free Member

Sorry mate, you are a tart.

My bike is the only object in my life where I need some kind of aesthetic cohesion. Matching rims, matching tyres, matching suspension. I’m a little grated at the minute because I wanted to try a 40mm rise bar without switching to a 35mm clamp so I’ve had to use a bar that’s a different brand to my stem. I’m trying to ignore it but it’s quite upsetting.

My girlfriend wishes these traits would extend to other areas of my life especially my wardrobe but I’m content to be a shambles in everything else.

Premier Icon TheGhost

I couldn’t cope with mismatched tyres or rims but dropper and and fork I’m OK with.

@sharkattack pics please.

Premier Icon kimbers

Jeez I have mismatched rims- Mavic/wtb, hubs- formula/mavic, dropper- brandx, shock- fox, fork- RS yari with splug, tyres maxxis & e13, bar- renthal & stem- kona, grips- sdg my saddle & my back rim are both wtb & both brakes are hope , cranks raceface, shifter & mech- xt, cassette- Sunrace, pedals- crank bros
    (Can anyone beat that?)

It rides great!

I’d get the Zeb, fox are silly money & creaky CSUs are the devil’s works

Premier Icon sharkattack
    Free Member

@sharkattack pics please.

It’s nothing outrageous to look at. This pic is from a while ago, I just fitted a Renthal Fatbar to the Joystick stem which I’ll live with because it feels really nice and Renthal don’t make none-ugly stems.

Still, it would look mint with a black Fox 38 up front.

(I’d happily run a red Lyrik but only if I could afford matching Super Deluxe coil shock and a Reverb)

Premier Icon unclesomebody
    Free Member

I just bought a 180mm Zeb Ultimate to replace a 3 year old custom tuned 180mm Lyrik. I got the Zeb for £730 delivered and at that price it just doesn’t make sense (for me) to go with a Fox 38 – which I couldn’t really find at a sensible price anywhere. An Ohlins RXF m2 coil would have been my first choice but I would only buy with a warranty and they’re priced above £1200 everywhere!

Fingers crossed I don’t get a creaky CSU Zeb.

Premier Icon chakaping

That’s a decent price, considering.

Was that from Germany?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.