Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Fox 36 1"1/8th vs Talas Tapered?
  • tor5
    Free Member

I’ve just been told that there are no Fox 36 with tapered steerers available and the alternatives are a straight 1″1/8th or a Talas with tapered steerer (at extra cost). Annoying as my fork had be specifically reserved apparently.

So, question is, how noticeable is the difference between straight & tapered steerer? Will the stiffness be significantly compromised if I go for the straight steerer? I’ve heard that the Talas forks don’t feel quite as good as the Floats, but which compromise would I notice more? For reference I’m 105kgs, ~115kg riding weight (clothed, helmet & knee pads, 3l water)

honourablegeorge

Only difference is that straight steerer gives more versatility as far as headsets/stack height go. Don’t think anyone can notice the difference in the steerers.

d45yth
    Free Member

Are you looking at the open-bath Floats? If so, like you’ve been told they are only available with the 1.1/8th steerer. You can get tapered ones with the RC2 damper though (which would be cheaper than a 36 Talas).

tor5
    Free Member

Actually, i’m looking at RC2… Having said that, I’m not looking at retail. I’ve ordered a frame and build kit, but the distributor has just come back and said tapered RC2 are not available. I’m curious though who has them available, maybe my guy can get something worked out with them

d45yth
    Free Member

Freeflow bikes have them, as I’m sure plenty of others will have.

theblackmount
    Free Member

You wont notice.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Fox 36 1"1/8th vs Talas Tapered?’ is closed to new replies.