Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fox 34 – e specific (from CRC) – running on normal bike
  • Premier Icon craa22uk

Hi,

Similar in vein to this thread: https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fox-ebike-forks-ok-on-a-non-ebike/

I have just got a pair of, recently available, Fox 34 140 from CRC and realise on entering the code at fox.com that they are e-bike versions.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fox-suspension-34-float-performance-series-boost-fork/rp-prod207946

From research, it seems that the main difference is the beefier build to the legs giving to the internals being from the 32. Does anyone have experience of these or are willing to offer an opinion as to whether the 32 internals will make a difference in performance? (or anything else to watch out for)

I’m minded to keep these to fit on my Switch9er it’s a heavy bike and i’m a heavy rider – just looking out for any pitfalls before i get the pipe cutter out and cross the Rubicon.

Cheers.

Premier Icon HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I had some I bought from a German site ages ago and I thought they worked great.

Premier Icon HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Anyone else noticed all the retro Marzocchis on there too?? https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/marzocchi-bomber-z5-fork/rp-prod207937

Whats going on? They found some old stock and decided to take advantage of the surge in demand??

Premier Icon joebristol

It does look like CRC have found old stock, or something very wrong has gone with their site! Looks like they’re even selling z1 springs – assuming these are for vintage z1’s they’ve not been available anywhere for years as I looked for some a while back.

Premier Icon Gotama
    Free Member

They look like the same forks that came on my Levo. They’re fine, a bit spiky under repeated fast hits and despite being ebike branded they’re still noticeably less stiff than a 36 so if you’re a heavier bloke and give it some stick then I’d probably avoid them for a lyric/36 etc

Premier Icon chakaping

Anyone else noticed all the retro Marzocchis on there too??

That’s crazy. Probably come with the usual CRC warranty approach of just giving you a refund if you have any problems.

Looks like they’re even selling z1 springs – assuming these are for vintage z1’s they’ve not been available anywhere for years as I looked for some a while back.

The current Z1 is air or coil – that’s what the coil conversion kit is for.

Premier Icon DezB

Are the Fox 34s unstickered, like the CRC ad?

Premier Icon craa22uk

Are the Fox 34s unstickered, like the CRC ad?

yes they just have the code and basic info about settings stickers and a small E-logo

the code search said the were OE – so probably a job-lot origrinally destined for complete e-bike model fell off a lorry (but more official than that)

Premier Icon Northwind

IIRC they’re only rated for 180mm rotors, if that’s an issue for you.

It’s a weird idea really, if I understand it right it’s basically a thick-walled 34 with 32 internals in it (because there’s not enough space for the 34 internals). And it weighs about the same as a 36. So… if that’s a good way to build a stiff fork, why is there a 36 at all? One of these forks has to be the less sensible way of doing it you’d think.

But, that doesn’t stop it from being a decent fork as a standalone. You’ll have less tuning options since the aftermarket thrives on big enduro kit, and the smaller air spring in the 32 definitely feels less good to me than the 36… though who knows if the actual integration will have it feeling the same…

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

It’s a weird idea really, if I understand it right it’s basically a thick-walled 34 with 32 internals in it (because there’s not enough space for the 34 internals). And it weighs about the same as a 36. So… if that’s a good way to build a stiff fork, why is there a 36 at all? One of these forks has to be the less sensible way of doing it you’d think.

With a lot of OEM stuff, it’s about perceived market position and perception of value quite often, rather than what is best… I don’t know what Spesh pay for OEM Fox forks (I use Spesh as an example, as they are possibly/probably Fox’s largest OEM customer), but there has to be several ways of justifying the price hikes inbetween models, and the more small differences in spec there are, the easier it is to do. If the cheaper bike had a 36 on it, just a different groupset, then it would be more difficult to justify spending the extra money, but dropping the entry level Levo to a 34 whether it’s ideal for it or not, makes it much easier to justify the price differences in spec.

Premier Icon pop-larkin

Interesting- I was considering but need to drop to 120- does this mean a standard fox 34 airshaft wouldn’t work?
    OP – may be worth adding a review in the website to advise/warn people as its a bit naughty of CRC imo

Premier Icon gribble
    Free Member

I’ve done exactly the same with a 27.5 Fox 36; it was an OEM fork taken from a Santa Cruz eeeb. It has been absolutely fine; it is a burly fork and suspect a bit heavier than a normal 36. I am selling mine, but only because I am looking to change my FS for something lighter, not any reflection of the fork itself.

I wouldn’t have any concern, but as per the posts above I suspect they are a bit heavier.

Premier Icon craa22uk

BTW i sent them back- felt like i would always be wondering if a straight up pair would be better, and i would like option to run a 203

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.