Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fox 34 at 150m travel – are they a bit wibbly wobbly?
  • snotrag

I have a 2020 Hightower frame on order. Currently have a Fox Rhythm Pperfomance 34 on my shorter travel bike.

I could reconfigure the 34 to run at 150mm I believe. However I am concerned they might be a bit floppy at this length, especially given the nature of the bike.

Has anyone run them like this? They come OEM at 150mm on a few 29ers but I wonder this is just cost, and really those bikes would have been better with a burlier fork (a 36, Pike/Yari/Lyrik).

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I’m sure a Pike or 36 will be stiffer but I have zero issues running either of my 34 forks at 150 mm on burly 29er race bikes. I’m 88kg ish, pacey enough at PMBA type enduros and not a particularly light rider so the forks are getting used enough and I’ve never noticed overly floppy, if at all.

ogri
    Free Member

Had two rides on my newly extended 34’s(130-150) and haven’t noticed any difference flex-wise.

kelvin

Rhythm are stiffer than the more expensive lighter 34s… but you’ll need to triple check that they can actually be changed to 150mm.

chiefgrooveguru

“However I am concerned they might be a bit floppy at this length, especially given the nature of the bike.”

They’ll be fine until you ride a similar bike with stiffer forks! 😉

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I think any telescopic fork is going to struggle with 150 metres of travel. Suspect it might put a shade too much stress on your head tube junction as well 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If you ride hard, and go from a bigger fork like a lyrik or a 36, then yes they do feel a bit floppy on rough stuff (same with the Pike though).

Given the choice, I wouldnt run them, as i have enough issues going through CSU’s on 36’s, with how much a 34 flexes, it will only happen quicker.

Akers

I run my Fox 34s at 150. Never felt particularly noodley but not as good as my 36’s either.
    They do seem to have developed a creak somewhere in the crown of late but whether this is related to them having the longer airshaft fitted I couldn’t say.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ve got a 150mm Fox 34 (27.5) on my Intense Spider. It was accidental really as I always assumed it was a 140mm till I actually measured it.

I notice it more on rocky stuff, it doesn’t seem to track well on rougher ground. I am a bigger guy though, so this might not be noticeable if you’re a lighter weight.

When I get it serviced I’m going to get it reduced to 140 or 130mm to get it back as it should be.

If I had the choice, I’d have a Fox 36 at 140mm.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fox 34 at 150m travel – are they a bit wibbly wobbly?’ is closed to new replies.