Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Fox 32 advice
  • Danno72
    Free Member

Right! Going to sell my hard tail and my fox 36’s to fund a pair of 32’s for my 5 to make it a bit more of an all rounder. Question is, Which ones to get? Initial thoughts are 32 non talas rlc 150 but they only come in white as far as I can tell. Kind of wanting black forks but they are Talas only and not sure I really want talas. Don’t think I would use the travel adjust? Might be wrong though. Would 140mm be ok on the 5? Considering I’m coming from the 160mm. As much as I love the 36’s and don’t really want to part with them they will be to much for what I’m intending to do. Your thoughts and experiences please?

boxxer7
    Free Member

what 36s do you currently have?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Another one who might be interested in the 36s.

Danno72
    Free Member

2007 float RC2’s

greeble
    Free Member

how about lowering the 36’s to 140mm?

failing that a second hand pair of 150mm or 140mm 32’s would be a good bet.

neninja
    Free Member

I’d have thought a 140mm fork would be perfect given it has 140mm rear travel.

I’ve got 2011 32 Talas and they are superb. The travel adjuster is easier to operate than the old Talas so I’ve found myself using it surprisingly often.

Danno72
    Free Member

Thought about lowering the 36’s but might as well save some weight at the same time so switched my thoughts to 32’s. Would definitely be 15mm axle though! Just can’t decide on 150 or 140/ talas non talas, oh and Kashima?

Danno72
    Free Member

Do they have more problems with the Talas? Less things to go wrong without it.

greeble
    Free Member

buy the 150mm and if you don’t like it put the 10mm travle spacer in there. lower them to 140mm. – not possible if you buy the 140mm.
    wouldn’t use the talas system. the biggest improvment would be skf and a fit cart over kashima
    if you’re after travel adjust go rockshox

Gotama
    Free Member

Are you a heavy (14 stone ish) and ride the five relatively aggressively downhill? Three of the four people i know that had 32s, albeit two were the 150mm, suffered from creaking crowns which had to be replaced. All under warranty fortunately. I would say the 36s spaced down to 140 or 150 would suit the five perfectly. Solo air Lyrics at 150 on mine and i love it.

Danno72
    Free Member

I’m just under the 15 stone mark. Interesting, I’ve seen a few for sale with the new crowns and wondered why. Whats SKF?

Gotama
    Free Member

I also found the 150mm very flexy/noodly when it got rough. Would suggest a test ride on a bike that has a set fitted before you buy.

If you want lightweight, although not helping on the colour front, whilst i went lyrics a mate went for the revelation world cups (carbon crown jobbies) which are featherlight whilst still being noticeably stiffer than the fox forks.

neninja
    Free Member

If you’ve got the funds then have a look at BOS Deville 140 too. Their 140 fork would be a prefect match and is 34mm so a happy medium.

Danno72
    Free Member

Think I might try and lower the 36’s and see how they work

Danno72
    Free Member

Can you lower them to 150 or does it have to 140? I know some forks can only go in 20mm increments.

Gotama
    Free Member

Nope, you can definitely go to 150 as the third guy who had the 32s now has 36s at 150mm. Provided they are the air naturally 😉

Danno72
    Free Member

Sweet! Thanks for all the advice peoples. Will order a 10mm and a 20mm and have a play. You’ve saved me a lot of money….the mrs will be happy, although that probably means the money from the hard tail will go into the new kitchen.

cheers

greeble
    Free Member

http://www.mojostore.co.uk/acatalog/Forx_Travel_Spacers.html

there you go
    10,20,25 and 30mm spacers

have fun!

if you buy one of each = £4.60

don’t forget to buy some crush washers
    and some oil
    so while your at it may aswell do a lower leg service!

boxxer7
    Free Member

Just lower the 36s was going to be my suggestion, they’re not all that heavy see how you get on with them.

Jeffus
    Free Member

+1 for lowering your 36’s , I have both forks 150 32’s and 36’s and the 36’s are so much stiffer and only 3/4lb heavier, 90Kg rider.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

The Boss forks are amazing and expensive BUT they have had a rake of problems with the Deville and they take a country year to fix, I know someone who has been waiting 3 months and he still hasn’t go them back.I’ve been running some 2010 Fox 32 talas 150 and I haven’t had any issues with them and even if I did the service you get from Mojo is excellent.

I did what you want to do, sold my 36’s for some 32’s and stuck them on my Foes. I haven’t missed the 36’s (at the moment!)

chakaping
    Free Member

In the STW tradition of suggesting something completely different, I’m going to suggest getting a Rock Shox Revelation with 20mm maxle and blackbox damping.

Noticeably stiffer than a 32 IME, with amazing performance.

Model name you need depends on year, as they change them every year to keep us on our toes.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Running PIKes on mine at the moment , while I service my forks they are pretty good and stiff , damping not as good as Fox , but the new Revs must be improved over the Pikes 454’s

Brianblessed
    Free Member

i had float 140’s(rlc)on my 5 and theyre a perfect match. theyre now for sale on the for sale section if you’d like to take a look, theyre like new :-)…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Fox 32 advice’ is closed to new replies.