Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Fox 140’s and Hope floating rotors on ChrisKing hHub issue
  • AndyRT
    Free Member

I admit there won’t be many out there with this issue, but I was wondering if anybody else suffers from postmount rubbing on the adonised part of a Hope floating rotor? Is there anything I can do?

markd
    Free Member

Yep – just take a dremmel to the mount.

bosh.

STATO
    Free Member

Its the hub thats causing the problem, in their infinate wisdom King placed the disc mount closer to the fork than anyone else, so King hubs often fall outside the limit of adjustability/compatibility for the majority of brake/fork combinations. Congratualtions on your purchase 😆

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I did with Hope floaters, CK hub and Fox forks. Changed to Pro2 hub and same issue. Changed to non-floating rotors and issue has gone away.

nickc

It’s a common alignment issue with King hubs IIRC. there’s more than enough material on the mount to safely grind some off. Alternatively you can shave some of the hub (achieves the same thing)

markd
    Free Member

I would say its more to do with the fox fork and the rotor. seen it a few times now.

you should only have to take a wee bit of the surface metal off.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Thanks all, I feel both special and a muppet at the same time 😯

Hadge
    Free Member

It’s to do with the Chris King hub – NOT the forks. We’ve made some 15mm Axle conversion kits at BETD/Goldtec for CK hubs and we’ve moved the position of the disc mounting face to cure that very problem. CK don’t get everything right! As for your problem I’m afraid it’s either use the normal rotors or remove some metal from the little spacers.

markd
    Free Member

i stand corrected.

good to know – thanks Hadge.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Happens with Pro2 hubs too

DustyLilac
    Free Member

My chum had the same issue with his new Fox 36s, he’s been advised it’s a Chris Bling issue.

turnip
    Free Member

top quality hub fail hahaha

Spongebob
    Free Member

Chris Bling

😆

The price of posing! 😆

LabMonkey
    Free Member

I Have a 2009 CK 20mm front hub on 2009 Float 36 RC2’s with a standard hope rotor and it work just fine – maybe just cahnge your rotor?

Taz

Yep – happened to me with 36’s

The non floating rotor ‘cured’ the issue

STATO
    Free Member

Happens with Pro2 hubs too

What brake and mounting adaptor were you using? also, what fork?

AndyRT
    Free Member

I may take a little off bothe the rotor’s spider and the paint on the post mount, which should give me a load more clearance. Not ideal.

In regards to the hub, I have to say it’s great! The 15mm conversion is so thorough, I cannot see why they intend to produce a specific hub for this, as the ISO is so good, unles they have changed their measurements for disks….

amedias
    Free Member

various parts from various manufacturers don’t always fit perfectly together shocker….

the solution to you problem is remove the bit that rubs until it doesn’t rub, unless you’d have to remove so much material that the bit that rubs no longer functions as intended or in a safe manner – use whatever tool you feel most comfortable with, file, dremel, toothbrush…

If only there were some kind of written specs, like a ‘standard’ that was recognised by companies from different places, maybe even ‘internatioanlly’, that would really be something…

amedias
    Free Member

apologies for the rant there, i think my views may be tainted by the amount of times I’ve had to apply moderated ‘redesigns’ to supposedly well tested kit.

I think what I’m trying to say is – just file it down a bit, it’ll be fine.

AndyRT
    Free Member

I agree, standard measurements are a great idea, it just seems they never filter through in the bike world, just lots of competing systems making us poor punters bewlidered by potentially damaging incompatabilities. Why is it that the market gets to decide the standards, rather than common sense and engineering? OOooops! Sorry, I forgot we don’t live in Utopia

AndyPaice
    Free Member

happens with crossmax hubs/fox forks/floating rotors too.

kelvin

I was going to mention the BETD adaptor things and their repositioning.

CK not as bad as they were. Before they went 6 bolt the old spider adaptor hubs pushed the rotor out a lot more.

Gary_C

happens with crossmax hubs/fox forks/floating rotors too.

+1

(’08 Crossmax ST,’08 Fox 36 FLOAT,203mm Hope Floating rotor.)Yet I don’t have the problem when I use my other wheelset which has a Pro2 hub.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Fox 140’s and Hope floating rotors on ChrisKing hHub issue’ is closed to new replies.