• This topic has 4,478 replies, 425 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,441 through 2,480 (of 4,479 total)
  • Forum Update
  • nt80085

So when reading a post and scrolling back up to the top it would be helpful to have quick links to the other sections of the forum, I.e. for sale, chat etc. Unless I have missed it?

martinhutch

Swiftkey is broken.  Try a different keyboard.

Any plans to fix it, or is that the permanent recommendation?

Drac

As mentioned numerous times its way down the priority list.

martinhutch

Apologies. Loading times were too slow to keep looking at the other 60 pages.

Drac

Maybe I’m blind and useless – probably

but I cannae see in my account/ profile the button that says dont see adverts after logging in

It’s now just a default.

darrell
    Free Member

right

hence the option for STW to put in stealth adverts on the forum front page

Drac

It’s never elimanted them completely just reduced them.

DezB
    Free Member

As nobody has actually said (that I’ve seen anyway) whether the navigation links are going to improve (hover to see last poster; link to last thread posted on etc), can I put it out there that the Profile page would be better if

Replies Created was the default page, rather than Topics Started ?

Obviously, much prefer the old way, or similar, but that would be an improvement.

Drac

Again been raised many times and is being looked at but there are other priorities.

Can we keep this thread to new bugs please.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I notice some people embedding tweets into posts. Is there a code for this or is it just copy’n’paste the link?

darrell
    Free Member

woooowooooo

so the opt out for adverts has gone – or as you say its default – but there is no statement for this on the site

so in effect there is now no opt out for adverts and when the customers complain about the stealth adverts appearing on the right hand side of the screen we can be ignored, well because there is no opt out of adverts anymore

Drac

What adverts are you seeing?

Can you post a pic please?

Ta

Bez

I notice some people embedding tweets into posts. Is there a code for this or is it just copy’n’paste the link?

Just paste the URL. Same goes for lots of things: blog posts, news articles, forum threads, Twitter profiles, etc etc.

If you want to just include the link instead of embedding content, in many cases you now need to use the link button.

AlexSimon

RSS was removed because it was broken on the new software. As far as I’m aware it’ll be returned at some point.

Thanks for the reply Cougar – appreciate it

Cougar

woooowooooo

so the opt out for adverts has gone – or as you say its default – but there is no statement for this on the site

so in effect there is now no opt out for adverts

Woah there Tonto.

There is no longer an opt-in for adverts.  [P] users do not get served third-party advertising at all, it’s now default behaviour.

This does not apply to other site content such as promotion of articles elsewhere on STW.

Cougar

Any plans to fix [swiftkey], or is that the permanent recommendation?

It’s my recommendation for now.  I said earlier that I expect it’s low down on the priority list as it’s affecting a subset of a subset of users and other alternatives are readily available – certainly it’d be at the bottom of the pile if I was a web developer – but this is pure speculation on my part, we don’t know for sure.

Cougar

@aracer, I’ll PM you technical details in a bit, it’s not that it’s a secret but I expect it’s of little interest to everyone else.

lowey

Anyone got any idea how i post pictures from Flickr onto here now ? I’m stumped.

rogermoore

Goto Flickr. Choose Photo.Click Share button. Choose BBCODE. Select text in between the tags IMG & /IMG. Copy to clipboard. Paste this into the Source box of the Insert/Edit Image tool.

RM.

roverpig

Can’t do that on a mobile device though as there is no BBcode option in the app

nixie

@roverpig. There is an (android) app you can install that gives this functionality. Something like flickrbbcode?? You share the pic from flickr app to the other app and hey presto get some bb code 😀

lowey

roger… that how I used to do it, but the new reply box will not even given me the option to paste anything….

The only way I have found it to get the BB code, strip out all the gubbins so you just have the .jpg address and then use the insert image button.

Bit of a faff but not the end of the world. Shame really as linking to flickr using that BB code was so easy.

cokie

Not a bug, just an observation- I can’t use the forum at work anymore due to the header being fixed when scrolling. Watermark background isn’t helping either. It’s not very incognito 🙁

Cougar

Uh, it’s not fixed?  (The fact that it isn’t fixed been a complaint a few times.)  What platform?

Drac

Lowey what system? Have you logged out since yesterday?

Cokie system, OS and version please.

Cougar

Jinx.

zippykona

Looking at the forum for the first time on my mac book.

Is there any way to get rid of all the crap on the side?

If not , can you sort it please.

Drac

Can you be more descriptive than ‘crap’?

zippykona

There’s a poll, then latest stories  ,then a video  for a tubeless inflator.

It takes up a third of the page.

Drac

Oh that.

Yeah it’s been altered once already and the rest is here to stay, I can’t say if the layout of it’ll chaneg or not.

zippykona

It’s quite obtrusive.

It’s ok on my iPad but the page loads slowly so was hoping to use my Mac book.

chewkw
    Free Member

Yeah, it looks the forum function is slowly working for me now.

But I need smileys … a lot of smileys … many … 🙂

edit: Forum looks good so far.

Poopscoop

ignore

bruneep

Obviously paying for my P and running a  blocker that must not be mentioned to remove unwanted obtrusive items that take up  1/3 of a page  is frowned upon.

Hey ho

and its still loads as slow as a slow thing

njee20
    Free Member

Have the fonts got bigger, or is it me? Had to reduce zoom, so there’s now even more white space.

Edit: only in threads, on the main forum screen it’s still sensibly sized, so I have to resize the page when opening a thread, sure that’s new?

darrell
    Free Member

I totally agree about the cr4p on the right side

it’s intrusive and I am kinda wound up about the fact that having a P and still having this, well lets be honest here, sponsored adverts.

especially now that the formal opt out for adverts is in the ether, err sorry, it’s default but not formally stated anywhere

get ready for more adverts or links to articles or whatever

Cougar

Obviously paying for my P and running a  blocker that must not be mentioned to remove unwanted obtrusive items that take up  1/3 of a page  is frowned upon.

I was halfway through sending you a message when I saw this, so if you’d rather do this in public instead that’s fine by me.

You quoted the STW T&Cs at us in your email.  From the same T&Cs text: “In addition you agree not to promote the use of ad blocking on our site in either story comments or forum posts.” This is why your post was deleted, not because you are using ad-blocking software.  That was never mentioned.

As I said earlier in this thread, premier subscription entitles you to ad-free browsing. It does not entitle you to other-parts-of-the-site-free browsing and never has. Premier users do not get served third-party advertising and this is now default behaviour across the board rather than users having to opt out.

The promoted content is taking up no more space than the blank space on the previous software did and the forum discussion content is the same (fixed) screen width it always was so your suggestion that polls etc are “taking over” is erroneous I’m afraid.

lowey

Drac…

Windows 10 version 1709

Chrome Browser.

Logged out and logged back in.

I cant even get the paste command when i right click over this box.

This happens on Home Desktop and Work Desktop

Mark

The forum is actually wider (old = 650px new = 730px ) The right hand column is the same width as it was before. Ergo content portion of the screen has increased.

Ads are paid for by third parties. There is none of that in the right hand column for subscribers. What you have is content and links to content from us. A magazine about mountain bikes. I’m afraid the right hand column and it’s contents will remain and I fully appreciate that for some that will not be what they want to hear.

Cheers

Mark

zippykona

If it’s pissing people off why not get rid of it?

You don’t need to fight us all the way. What’s the point?

Viewing 40 posts - 2,441 through 2,480 (of 4,479 total)

The topic ‘Forum Update’ is closed to new replies.