• This topic has 4,478 replies, 425 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 4,479 total)
  • Forum Update
  • metalheart
    Free Member

Hmmm! I’ll test on my iPad later.

ill do it now instead….

metalheart
    Free Member

Seems to work. Good effort… 💪

angeldust
    Free Member

Attitude still stinks.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DezB
    Free Member

Interesting update from Mark – I’m sure many will miss it, but I’ve saved the link to it, so will post that in reply to any more “I still can’t get to my last post!”s I see 🙂 Cheers Mark

Drac

Cheers Metal

What are you after Angel can you give us more detail of what you’d like? Mark has explained the process, again, and has invited people along to see what is going on.

Mark

It’s not a problem Drac. I’m in no way expecting I’ll satisfy everyone with anything we decide to do. There are those who will just hate us and in particular, me regardless of anything that is said or done. That’s just the way it works. In the meantime we’ll just keep doing what we think is right, knowing that for some it will be wrong.

bigblackshed

Mark.

Thank you for taking the time to post a reply and explain what the decisions you have taken.

MODS.

Is it possible to post a sticky with some of the fixes that have been dealt with. Many of us are reposting the same faults as we find them, rather than knowing what has been mentioned and reported. It will probably save cover the same ground daily.

Thanks.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

perhaps a sticky explaining to the uninitiated how to attach pics, embed video that kind of thing might help. I’ve edited the same post about 8 times trying to embed a You Tube video

BobaFatt
    Free Member

oh, and the Forum Help page is a fair bit out of date

Drac

True Mark so true.

Sorry Bigblack I’ve been meaning to do that for a couple of weeks but work and home keep getting in the way.

The Our Forum thread has details.

Ooh got to go my computer has just updated what I asked it do ages ago. You think this place is bad try Citrix.

metalheart
    Free Member

Just trying to get a video to work.

oh, drac, my quote was from a ipad2 on latest update…

metalheart
    Free Member

Woohoo,il marche c’est bien. 👍

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s not a problem Drac. I’m in no way expecting I’ll satisfy everyone with anything we decide to do. There are those who will just hate us and in particular, me regardless of anything that is said or done. That’s just the way it works. In the meantime we’ll just keep doing what we think is right, knowing that for some it will be wrong.

Speaking personally, I don’t hate you or anyone on here. I’ve made my peace with the forum going in a certain direction. It’s your baby and you can do with it as you have and will.

I’m just about sitting in the cheap seats throwing peanuts.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m just playing around..

I’m a bit bored..

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>I’m about to post a video..</span>

mikewsmith
    Free Member

<div>Mark
    <div>
    <div>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div>

It’s not a problem Drac. I’m in no way expecting I’ll satisfy everyone with anything we decide to do. There are those who will just hate us and in particular, me regardless of anything that is said or done.

No real hate just the deafening silence was getting a bit much, there was a lot of stuff properly broken and only Drac and Cougar trying to placate people.

BUT….

Hi all.

Our plan and how it has turned out has well, gone as expected.

I tried to explain at the start of this thread what our approach was and why. Clearly that’s been lost or I just didn’t make it clear enough.

If you expected to break all these things in day one then was there not some time to sort some of them out?

</div>
    Anyway best of luck fixing all the stuff, I’m hoping that the bread and butter forum posting of words, quotes, pics and videos ends up being simple and with a lot less clicks than it is now.

Finally one of the hardest lessons I have learned in customer relations, project delivery and project cock ups is that you write your combative and defensive reply, file it somewhere and then do the slightly apologetic one.

dannyh
    Free Member

Finally one of the hardest lessons I have learned in customer relations, project delivery and project cock ups is that you write your combative and defensive reply, file it somewhere and then do the slightly apologetic one.

It’s good to see some progress being made and some interaction from the powers that be. Keep it up!

That quote above is absolutely right. I’ve got a few fruity drafts in my outlook folders at work. When I’m feeling a bit passive-aggressive after rowing back from what I’d really like to send, I have a read of them, have a snigger and fantasise about actually sending them!

Drac

What I learnt is you don’t apologise unless it’s meant and you have made a mistake, if the complainant is wrong you tell them why they are wrong.

ransos
    Free Member

There are those who will just hate us and in particular, me regardless of anything that is said or done.

Is that really how you see it?

Jamie
    Free Member

Is that really how you see it?

Pick a side!

Drac

Well here’s one example of emails we occasionally receive.

“You’re a **** **** mate.”

So I hope you can see what Mark is getting at.

Jamie
    Free Member

I meant that affectionately, Drac.

perchypanther
    Free Member

You have mates?

Who’da thunk it? 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I can Drac and abusive emails are totally unacceptable, but I hope he and the rest of the staff can see where their customers are coming from too, the updates are a good start, a couple of weeks late but a start. Most of us just wanted an idea of what was going on, when things were going to be fixed and what the end game was.

I will leave it there as emotions seem to be running high there.

ampthill

Mark explanation does help

So I think what you are saying is that you haven’t yet started fixing the issues we see. You are fixing issues behind the scenes. Then you will fix the errors we can see

Thanks

Drac

I think the 4th word in that was mean for me PP.

Jamie I missed your reply I was directing at you,

We can see the genuine complaints yes Mike, it was explained at least once before but got buried.

Yes and no Ampthill, some of the issues have been fixed, hopefully you can now see why it was slow and why the others will be a little while longer.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well, now now dear fellow. Thats just down right rude!

Can we have the name of the offender 😉

Should we start a thread and guess who it is??

We have a number of forumites who would be so bold, we could start a sweepstake..

Cougar

If I’m thinking of the same incident, that particular gem was from a (now former) classifieds-only user who took umbrage at us for having the audacity to remove one of his adverts (which IIRC was a URL to an advert on another website and not much else).  He got a month’s ban for his initial outburst and a life ban for his subsequent response to that suspension.  Proper charmer.

(No, I can’t remember the username, and wouldn’t disclose it if I did.)

zokes
    Free Member

Thanks for the update, Mark

“What I learnt is you don’t apologise unless it’s meant and you have made a mistake, if the complainant is wrong you tell them why they are wrong.“

I’m assuming you don’t require goodwill at any point from the person complaining?

Drac

Never assume Zokes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

True Drac but your customers have no choice and admission results in law suits.

Rest of us means customer is kind of right and in this case no matter what the underlying reasons the upgrade has been shite, if you want to defend it then carry on, from a user perspective it’s shite. Features broken, no help, no explanation. no advice as to how any new featrure/**** worked etc. Finally the owner showed up and still doesn’t manage to apologise to his customers about how shambolic the upgrade was.

Anyway still waiting for some confirmation about my address change back to the UK, adjustment to the RoW mag charge etc,

zokes
    Free Member

You deserted the land down under for good then, Mike?

sbob
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>Drac
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

That’s appalling.

Abuse should be hurled openly, for everyone to see. 🙂

</div>

sbob
    Free Member

You deserted the land down under for good then, Mike?

Just having a play.

angeldust
    Free Member

‘Well here’s one example of emails we occasionally receive.
    So I hope you can see what Mark is getting at.’

Yes, that is without doubt out of order and uncalled for….

‘If I’m thinking of the same incident, that particular gem was from a (now former) classifieds-only user who took umbrage at us for having the audacity to remove one of his adverts (which IIRC was a URL to an advert on another website and not much else). He got a month’s ban for his initial outburst and a life ban for his subsequent response to that suspension. Proper charmer.’

….but with a bit of background, also almost completely unrelated to the subject. The fact that you are comparing an expletive ridden outburst from a ‘classified-only user’ clearly doing something against policy, to the response you are getting here from forum users really does say a lot. Nice.

Cougar

I think perhaps the point is that whatever we say or do, to some people’s eyes it’ll be wrong.

Drac

As perfectly demonstrated.

ransos
    Free Member

So I hope you can see what Mark is getting at.

I don’t, actually. The email was quite obviously from a total nobber, but every site attracts its share of frothing loons, without that being an indicator of the views of site users in general. I suspect that far more users are simply of the view that the changes have been badly managed and the attitude of the owners leaves something to be desired.

Drac

Oh yeah it is bit of the extereme case but it’s not unusual to receive those for a variety of things, there are posts on here where people have had a proper rant about the current state of the forum. They have had a go at Mark but it’s Ok they put a smiley at the end.

Saying the state of the forum is currently shit is fine, I said that myself more than once but there has been updates, not always quick I know, and Mark has posted when he can. The thing it’s often the case when these are done the minority who love to shout shout louder and complain about the reponse. There is times when no matter what you can’t win.

ransos
    Free Member

I think that’s a bit of a cop-out. It’s very easy to point out the extremists but much less easy to justify why there is a growing body of people saying the same thing.

theotherjonv

so vote with your feet, or at least with your p’ness, if you feel so strongly. We have the ultimate say in that in the end the site / forum will rise or fall based on the users. Abusing the owners/staff whether directly like the above or in niggly little digs – at the end of the day they opted for a certain course, have now explained why they opted for it, I don’t really see what else more there is to say other than constructive stuff in debugging it as it goes on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 4,479 total)

The topic ‘Forum Update’ is closed to new replies.