• This topic has 4,478 replies, 425 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 4,479 total)
  • Forum Update
  • epicyclo

vincienup

Was going to mention that the quote button seems to still be borked but I see everyone is aware.  Word search is about right.  This surely has to be damaging the forum and Singletrack itself.

You can go back in and edit out the impressive amount of garbage, plus add the username.

MrOvershoot

RustySpanner

This really isn’t fun anymore, is it?

At least the latest issue of the mag is worth reading. I might just stick with that for a bit.

vincienup
    Free Member

Manually editing the result isn’t really the point though, is it?

Speaking of edits, I was surprised a few days ago when I found I couldn’t edit or delete a fool comment on the front page of the actual site.  Absolute classic, hadn’t read the article properly and commented…

vinnyeh

Not sure whether it’s been posted or not, but ‘topics started’ and possibly favourites don’t contain results from the classifieds…

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have (sort of) bitten my tongue on this ….. but a while ago STW Towers advertised for tech / web developers … it struck me at the time that the money being offered was pretty cut price.  As they say in Office Bull S Bingo … now we are where we are.

bruneep

Ok.
    It’ll be a slow today and over the weekend as there’s some magic going on at STW towers.

What magic has happened then? is the quote fixed?

bruneep

clearly not 🤔

whitestone
    Free Member

clearly not

Let’s see. Clicked blockquote button, copied and pasted your text

whitestone
    Free Member

clearly not

Copied and pasted your text, highlighted it and clicked the blockquote button,then enter twice

whitestone
    Free Member

As a further test this is some text copied from a story on the BBC site:

A scene in the film shows a character who suffers a blackberry allergy being pelted with them by a gang of bunnies.

It looks like it’s the copy/paste functionality that’s messed up in the new editor code used for writing posts.

dannyh
    Free Member

Earlier at a STW Towers COBRA meeting.

It’s OK guys. I know you don’t want to hear this, but we could deploy…..the backup.

I mean, there’s got to be a backup, right? You guys kept a backup, yeah? Backup? Yeah?

bruneep

@@whitestone not easy to do when buttons are covered. it’s not something that we should have to do either.

dannyh
    Free Member

Now, brace yourself Rodney………we’re going to deploy the forum upgrade…..

Klunk
    Free Member

could someone from stw towers actually tell us what the long term benefits of this change actually are ? as it currently seems like a more buggy and less usable version of old one with emoticons in thread titles !

zokes
    Free Member

could someone from stw towers actually tell us what the long term benefits of this change actually are ?

I believe the long term goal is a revamp of the entire website and greater integration of its parts, requiring an upgrade of the forum software.

As for when that will happen? Well, there’s been talk of a fabled forum update since about 2008 I think….

whitestone
    Free Member

I believe the long term goal is a revamp of the entire website and greater integration of its parts, requiring an upgrade of the forum software.

If the above has the span detritus then copy/paste isn’t working correctly in the text entry box. (I’ve done a clear cache forced page update prior to this post so should be clean)

DezB
    Free Member

clear cache forced page update

A copy puts the codes into your local copy buffer/clipboard along with the text, so clearing the page cache isn’t related to the issue (as far as I understand it anyway)

zokes
    Free Member

…and it only worked for me because I’m on a proper keyboard so just typed in the appropriate [ quote] tags

whitestone
    Free Member

@DezB – the clear cache was just to make sure I’d got the latest version of the forum. It’s actually the past function that’s broken – copying text from a web page and pasting it into any other editor just gives the plain text – none of my editors (either word processor or code editors) add the HTML to it.

Let’s see if just adding the [ quote] [ / quote] tags does it.

and it only worked for me because I’m on a proper keyboard so just typed in the appropriate

whitestone
    Free Member

Nope 🙁

That was type the [ quote] (without the space), past the text, type the closing block.

DezB
    Free Member

the clear cache was just to make sure I’d got the latest version of the forum

Oh no! You don’t want that 😆

It’s actually the past[e] function that’s broken

Yep, I’d agree with that.

Wonder what happens when you paste from another forum…

its backwards according to the rotation marks on the tyre

Yup, deffo the paste!

kelvin

[ the forum is working quite well for me … but then I only have the basic editor without any formatting tools or preview … ]

[ since the post editing and numbering issues were fixed, the forum has been faster, and more stable, than before the big upgrade to the back end stuff ]

shermer75
    Free Member

Is anybody else’s screen completely dominated by a massive ‘P’ for every post by a Premier subscriber?

shermer75
    Free Member

shermer75
    Free Member

Apologies to epicyclo, didn’t mean to single you out for any particular reason, just wanted to illustrate the point! 🙂

epicyclo

shermer75

Apologies to epicyclo, didn’t mean to single you out for any particular reason, just wanted to illustrate the point!

Wow! Does that mean I’m a big P?

Runs off to check dictionary for words beginning with P.

Feeling important… 🙂

Edit: BTW I don’t see that effect. (Safari, old iMac)

pitduck
    Free Member

lol

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You’re going to have to explain what you mean.  As i said, it’s not a feature I ever used.  Can you reply to the sticky please, then everything’s in one place.

From another post – The old useful forum activity page – the useful one that told you what thread and when it was last replied to, it’s a nice short list compared to every post you have made in the last few days completely out of context with any discussion.

I will again…. but put simply it’s a list of all the thread titles you have replied in and the post count, time you last posted and time of the last post with the useful thing we used to have where the hover over was the last poster not a Reply to the thread name next to this hover over… It used to be under your Forum Activity page as the main thing

aracer
    Free Member

whitestone wrote:

@DezB – the clear cache was just to make sure I’d got the latest version of the forum.

Interesting – how do you make sure you haven’t got the latest version of the forum?

dannyh wrote:

Earlier at a STW Towers COBRA meeting.
    It’s OK guys. I know you don’t want to hear this, but we could deploy…..the backup.
    I mean, there’s got to be a backup, right? You guys kept a backup, yeah? Backup? Yeah?

My understanding is that because of the nature of the change they can’t revert to a backup (because the DB format has changed, and a backup would require reloading the DB and losing all recent posts). Of course if you’re making such a fundamental change in the worlds most of us work in you make sure the upgrade is fully functional and has been thoroughly tested in a non live environment first…

Jamie
    Free Member

What if it has been thoroughly tested, and this is how they want it to look/operate?

mefty
    Free Member
    midlifecrashes

Still no quote or other formatting buttons here on Firefox, is it because I’m one of those Aldi types?

whitestone
    Free Member

@aracer – by forum I meant the current versions of whatever code and libraries are in use not the posts themselves.

cogwomble
    Free Member

As a new forum member can I just say this is without a doubt the most infuriatingly frustrating website I’ve ever come across in terms of usability and not working functionality.

I’m not sure what the history is, but it’s slow, clunky and half the stuff like quote and formatting just makes a mess of the content.

It’s also massively crap on both PC and android to view.

The content of the forum is the savioir, and that’s user generated.  You really need to sort it out.  I’m not sure what premium would give me, but based on what’s going on I’d be incredibly wary of handing any hard earned over.

dannyh
    Free Member

“Of course if you’re making such a fundamental change in the worlds most of us work in you make sure the upgrade is fully functional and has been thoroughly tested in a non live environment first…”

You mean, like, actually TEST something first?

Nah, let’s just go for the Wile E Coyote UAT method.

JoeG
    Free Member

Is that a Forum Search button that I see on the main forums page?

Am afraid to try it…

Cougar

I’m not sure what the history is

The history is a sprawling mass of ancient spaghetti code worked on by successive developers.  What you see right now is the first step in getting it all sorted out.  You managed to pick an unfortunate time to join I’m afraid!

simondbarnes

Is that a Forum Search button that I see on the main forums page?

No

dannyh
    Free Member

“What you see right now is the first step in getting it all sorted out”.

Holy shit. You mean there are more ‘steps’ to go?

And anyway, what I see right now is line after line of hieroglyphs where anyone tries to quote someone else.

The salient point about the Titanic was not the neatness of its deckchairs as it went into the depths.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 4,479 total)

The topic ‘Forum Update’ is closed to new replies.