Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Forum Sentiment Analysis: The mood of the ‘nation’ in 1 graph
  • Mark

The Singletrack Forum is really quite a thing to study. In the last 14 years its accrued more than 10 million posts generated by more than 120k regist …

By mark

Get the full story on our front page at:

Forum Sentiment Analysis: The mood of the ‘nation’ in 1 graph

Support us and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

scotroutes

LOL. But only happy on two days out of the last 90 😉

teaandbiscuit
    Free Member

This is great! Can you filter it further down or over a longer time? Would be interesting to see sentiment change as a result of covid, or if threads of the week have an impact. Are Fridays happier than other days, or Mondays if we’re sharing pics of weekend rides? Do your upbeat articles get more hits if launched on happier days or if people are miserable is that the time for an upbeat article?

Interesting!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kaiser
    Free Member

Was it 2008 then it all started .. thought I was on here before that but perhaps wrong.

ampthill

How do I point the api at my posts?

scuttler

Can anyone pinpoint when Perchy stopped regularly posting (no cheating).

weeksy

I think in the coming weeks you may need to change the graph so it can go down further !

nickc

Have you able to compare different forum to see if here is wildly different to say Mumsnet or Pistonheads?

martinhutch

I’ll bet it’s really good at detecting sarcasm.

Mark

Lots of cool questions.

We can’t compare against other forums like mumsnet because we can’t connect to their database.

We can’t go back further than 18 months as that’s when we first connected up the Google API. We can drill down further into the data though and I’m getting to grips with the analysis tools.

martinhutch

Are you going to purge the most miserable members? I feel I need to ask.

footflaps

We need a good old witch hunt first to identify them, then we need a few weeks of persecution and maybe then purge or possibly just drown them as witches etc.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’ll bet it’s really good at detecting sarcasm

ISWYDT 🙂

imnotverygood

Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy
    Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happyHappy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy Happy happy

That should help screw up the analysis

Mark

Sentiment analysis

Not by much

fatbrad
    Free Member

So there’s no analysis of Badger’s tubeless woes?

Mark

You could always cut and paste older content into the demo box linked above if you like.

It’s actually a relevant point to note that all the stored data we have is from the pandemic times so it could be that the forum was much happier before.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

What happened on the 24th Feb I wonder..!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Ah – that’ll be the day Putin invaded Ukraine!

LAT

could this be used to check and correct the tone of emails so people at work don’t irritate each other?

footflaps

could this be used to check and correct the tone of emails so people at work don’t irritate each other?

Those plug-ins already exist for Outlook and Teams…

bikesandboots

Not sure if I’d want irritating people hiding behind a tone checker. Better to just see the true person.

MSP

How can you know true happiness, without first suffocating in misery.

LAT

Those plug-ins already exist for Outlook and Teams…

wow! it’s a long time since i was in that kind of employment. i’ve not even seen teams!

matt_outandabout

Does it work on zoom calls too?

ahsat

What is the y-axis metric? Is zero relative to a ‘internet’ baseline, or based on the dataset you put in i.e. the forum’s own ‘zero’?

Mark

The calibration is done by Google and their Natural Language AI project. If you follow the link to the Google demo page you can test it yourself. On an individual basis with a single test it’s probably easy to confuse it, especially if you enter something sarcastic, but the reason it kind of works on our site is simply down to the huge amount of data it is being fed. It’s hard to overload the system with sarcasm when there are thousands of posts a day 🙂

twisty

How does the mood of Singletrack compare to other forums though?
    Just realised I’m at least the 3rd person to ask that – hope that doesn’t upset anybody 🙂

footflaps

How does the mood of Singletrack compare to other forums though?
    Just realised I’m at least the 3rd person to ask that – hope that doesn’t upset anybody 🙂

Well the ‘average’ forum should be close to the Internet basline. However, averages don’t describe individuals so there will be individual forums more / less happy than the baseline and also more / less than STW.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.