Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Formula RX or Magura Louise?
  • Brown
    Free Member

What would you go for?

I don’t think I can stretch to Hopes, so they’re out. I’d consider Avids, but they’re not my first choice. Haven’t had Hayes for ages. I used to love Shimano, but I really don’t like the new levers and I’m fed up of trying to get a decent bleed on my new SLXs.

So Formula RX or Magura Louise?

neninja
    Free Member

Got RX which I’ve been running for just over a year. They’ve been maintenance free apart from needing new pads.

andrewh
    Free Member

Try them is the best advice
    I had been planning a set of Marta SLs for my race bike, mainly due to the warrenty as well as weight, but when I tried a set I hated the feel of the lever. Went for R1s instead as they felt much nicer, and three years on they are still great.

traildog
    Free Member

I had magura louise brakes on my bike for years and years. They were brilliant and never needed any fettling and no problems at all. I eventually swapped them out as a bolt stripped when I needed to change the pads and I fancied trying a new set of brakes. I’ll fix the Maguras and use them as spares.

I have had several sets of Hope and the Maguras were much, much better IMHO.

Reluctant
    Free Member

I’ve been using RXs for nearly two years. Great power, lovely feel, good looks; zero maintainence apart from changing pads. Very good brake in my experience 😀 .

messiah
    Free Member

Nothing comes to close to Formula RX/R1/Th1 for lever feel IMHO… best brakes I have ever used.

letmetalktomark

Sadly cannot comment on the RX brakes but am Magura all the way on my disc equipped bikes. Three pairs of Louise & a pair of Julies.

The Louise brakes have been brilliant – much better than similar fom Hope & Avid IMHO.

I purchased a set of non BAT Louise brakes from On One recently for £118. Excellent albeit without the adjust ability of the other two sets.

The carbon handles look ace too 🙂

superdale
    Free Member

Have never had a problem with my Formula Oros in over 3 years – as sharp as the day they were fitted. My GF Magura Louise however are not even a year old and been returned once under warranty and still not 100%. Too much lever travel & not enough power plus they are quite heavy in comparison to Hopes or Formulas. I would either pay a bit more for Hopes or save some & get the Formulas.

Brown
    Free Member

Split pretty evenly then!

I’ll try and find someone who owns the brakes and have a play. Currently thinking of Magura as I can get them a little cheaper and I prefer getting mineral oil in my eyes, rather than DOT.

EDIT – I clearly can’t count… five in favour of Formula over 2 for Magura!

Brown
    Free Member

Anyone else have any strong views either way?

chojin
    Free Member

I have formula RXs, like others have said – maintenance free and great stopping power…

kane10255
    Free Member

Defo Maguras, maintenance free and superb stoppers, here check this review

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/disc-brake-systems/product/review-magura-louise-bat-brakes-10-37317
    bought mine from USA for £149.99 for both with 180mm rotors BARGAIN!!

photofix
    Free Member

I have the Formula FR and Magura Louis. Formula’s are awesome work as good as the saints on my DH rig. The magura’s do not stop. I’ve bleed them replaced the lines with goodrich lines sanded the pads cleaned the rotors… and on and on.. they suck. I wish I would have just got another pair of formulas…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Maguras every time. Shimano might be a tad more reliable (they might not) but Maguras wipe the floor with them on power. I’ve had 4 sets of Louises (FR, 2 x BAT, Carbon BAT) and I wouldn’t buy anything else now. Compared to Louises, Avid Juicys are akin to gently rubbing the rotor with a bar of soap, and Hopes not even that good. 😉

Neil-S
    Free Member

I’m selling a pair of Formula RX if you’re interested? Mail in profile 🙂

Neil.

Brown
    Free Member

Neil – maybe… what sort of nick are they in/how old are they etc? Ok bleed-wise? How much are you after?

vondally
    Free Member

Magura louises for years no trouble but you are best using Magura pads and hoses………LBS bleed my martas new pads and goodrich lines and dear god it was horrible. So for me Maguras

Hopes SO is still on a set from last century and they are brilliant

Neil-S
    Free Member

Hi Brown.

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve not been near a computer for a while.

They’re about 2 years old I think. They’re 180mm front and 160mm rear. I think there’s a spare 160mm disc and bracket if you wanted a smaller rotor. All the bits are there. The pads are in good nick and I’ve got a brand new set you can have too. They work perfectly and are in reasonable condition cosmetically.

I want to fit a new rear hose first as it’s a bit short and will bleed them both while I’m on if you want them.

£120 posted if you’re interested.

Best to get hold of me on the email address in my profile.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

maguras for me

fudge9202
    Free Member

trailmoggy +1 for maguras absolutely superb stoppers especially in the descents here in ireland never fail me

valleydaddy
    Free Member

got RX’s on both my bikes and they are superb as others have said problem free 😀

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Formula RX or Magura Louise?’ is closed to new replies.