Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Formula RX Brakes
  • SBrock
    Free Member

Merlin are doing a set for £149 – are they any good?

chakaping
    Free Member

Not bad, but there’s better for the money – bit weak and grabby – I’d look at either Formula The One / T1 if there are deals about, or Shimano XT.

SBrock
    Free Member

The One are about £400 though lol

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I’m happy with mine on my Fatty, plenty of stopping power

FOG

They’re ok but I swapped mine for some SLX which are infinitely better and probably cheaper.
    Still better than Avids though!

tenfoot

Been using a set for two years. Plenty of stopping power for me, but I would agree that they’re a bit grabby.

SBrock
    Free Member

always been Avid but fancy a change -may have a look at SLX

monkeyboyjc

Could get xt for the same money on merlin.

Ive a set of rx – they are ok, but not great. Tend to fade a bit on long decents.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

No probs here. I got a set in a deal, nice feel to them, not grabby at all in my experience, easily more than enough power with one-finger braking. Nice linear feel to them and no squiginess. What more do you want out of a brake?

jim25

I have rx and xt on different bikes. both great powerful brakes, but work in a different way.

The xt’s have a very high initial bite feel, will lock the wheel almost instantly making them feel more powerful.
    The formula’s have the same amount of stopping power, but deliver it in a more linear way, the more you squeeze the more you get./ Will obviously still lock up either wheel.

Xt’s feel more powerful cos of the almost instant lock up. All comes down to personal preference, i prefer the shimanos over the formula but they require a “better” control of the lever

chakaping
    Free Member

Grabby might be a bit unfair, they have been OK when I had them on trail bikes but used then on a dh bike in Alps last summer and they scared me shitless.

benwh1te
    Free Member

My Meta AM2 came with them in back in October, now swapping back to my old Deore’s because I preferred the lever feel so if you are interested in going second hand I have a set for sale.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I liked mine (came stock on my Meta SX) until I went to the Alps where I experienced very bad brake fade. Now have Zee

Northwind

They’re alright but I wouldn’t pay £150 (and I’m a Formula fanboi 😉 ) Not as good as the old Oro they replaced.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

owned both id have XT every day of the week personally

monkeyp

They are £130 direct from formula with discs and mounting hardware for a front and rear set.

mindmap3
    Free Member

You could get a set of T1’s for not much more than that and they’re supposed to be very good.

I have Shimano brakes and they are good, but when things go wrong its new lever / calliper time whereas on most other brakes you can buy spares.

andrewh
    Free Member

Got a set on my SS and I get on fine with them.
    Using Alligator sintered pads with R1 rotors and no hint of grabbiness.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Formula RX Brakes’ is closed to new replies.