Formula RX Brakes

Home Forum Bike Forum Formula RX Brakes

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Formula RX Brakes
  • SBrock

Merlin are doing a set for £149 – are they any good?

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Not bad, but there’s better for the money – bit weak and grabby – I’d look at either Formula The One / T1 if there are deals about, or Shimano XT.

SBrock

The One are about £400 though lol

Premier Icon JohnClimber
    Subscriber

I’m happy with mine on my Fatty, plenty of stopping power

Premier Icon FOG
    Subscriber

They’re ok but I swapped mine for some SLX which are infinitely better and probably cheaper.
    Still better than Avids though!

Premier Icon tenfoot
    Subscriber

Been using a set for two years. Plenty of stopping power for me, but I would agree that they’re a bit grabby.

SBrock

always been Avid but fancy a change -may have a look at SLX

Could get xt for the same money on merlin.

Ive a set of rx – they are ok, but not great. Tend to fade a bit on long decents.

No probs here. I got a set in a deal, nice feel to them, not grabby at all in my experience, easily more than enough power with one-finger braking. Nice linear feel to them and no squiginess. What more do you want out of a brake?

jim25

I have rx and xt on different bikes. both great powerful brakes, but work in a different way.

The xt’s have a very high initial bite feel, will lock the wheel almost instantly making them feel more powerful.
    The formula’s have the same amount of stopping power, but deliver it in a more linear way, the more you squeeze the more you get./ Will obviously still lock up either wheel.

Xt’s feel more powerful cos of the almost instant lock up. All comes down to personal preference, i prefer the shimanos over the formula but they require a “better” control of the lever

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Grabby might be a bit unfair, they have been OK when I had them on trail bikes but used then on a dh bike in Alps last summer and they scared me shitless.

benwh1te

My Meta AM2 came with them in back in October, now swapping back to my old Deore’s because I preferred the lever feel so if you are interested in going second hand I have a set for sale.

fuzzhead

I liked mine (came stock on my Meta SX) until I went to the Alps where I experienced very bad brake fade. Now have Zee

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

They’re alright but I wouldn’t pay £150 (and I’m a Formula fanboi 😉 ) Not as good as the old Oro they replaced.

owned both id have XT every day of the week personally

Premier Icon monkeyp
    Subscriber

They are £130 direct from formula with discs and mounting hardware for a front and rear set.

mindmap3

You could get a set of T1’s for not much more than that and they’re supposed to be very good.

I have Shimano brakes and they are good, but when things go wrong its new lever / calliper time whereas on most other brakes you can buy spares.

andrewh

Got a set on my SS and I get on fine with them.
    Using Alligator sintered pads with R1 rotors and no hint of grabbiness.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Formula RX Brakes’ is closed to new replies.