• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by RicB.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Formula K24 Oro brake question..
  • missnotax
    Free Member

Hello 🙂

I managed to change the brake pads on my 5 recently (first time i’ve done it – whoop!) but also managed to lose both the tiny little horseshoe shaped clips that fit on the end of the pin. The pins that hold the pads in are in tightly, but the tiny little clips just pinged out my hands….

Are the brakes ok to use without these? Do I need the little clips?

Cheers!

sadexpunk

i never used em after changing them the first time. never did me any harm 🙂

missnotax
    Free Member

Cool, that’s good to know thanks 🙂 I don’t know how anyone is supposed to keep hold of the damn things with cold hands!!

wobbem
    Free Member

Yep,those things the dumbest idea ever and loads of other brakes use them as well. 😕

Northwind

Traditionally with those wee jesus-clips, I forget they’re there and undo the bolt. Ping! But yes no need for them, just snug the bolt properly.

(jesus-clips because that’s what you say when they ping off across the garage. Or if you’re really lucky, into your crankcase)

missnotax
    Free Member

I ended up saying a lot more than that when the second one shot off onto gravel….!

RicB

Don’t tighten the retaining bolt too much as you can distort the caliber body and cause the pistons to stick

Moderately tight with a tiny dab of loctite I reckon

Northwind

Really? I’d have thought the thread or head would strip way before that point

aye-aye
    Free Member

I’ve done three trips to Whistler bike park, total of about 14 weeks, riding 6 days a week, hitting 30 foot booters and nasty drops on a set of oros without the retaining clips.
    I think you’ll be ok

wahoomcgoo
    Free Member

missnotax – Member
    I ended up saying a lot more than that when the second one shot off onto gravel….!

POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Lost mine the first time i changed pads on my oros. Until this post i totally forgot they were there in the first place.

Did you say Flippin’ ek?

RicB

Toby from Propel (old formula distro) warned me about the overtightning thing.

missnotax
    Free Member

Thanks guys 🙂

Well, rode last night with fully functioning brakes (and not dragging at all) so am feeling quite pleased with myself today. Only a minor achievement, but one small step for woman-kind and all that!

Just how tight should the pin be done up then? I did it so that it was *tight* but then left it and didn’t force it anymore. Should it be looser than that then?

I have no idea what loctite is either….. 😳

dan1980
    Free Member

Loctite is just something to stop it coming undone accidentally.

I’ve ridden mine for over a year without the little clip and it’s been fine. Because of the size of the Allen key required to do up the bolt, there’s a limit to the amount of leverage you can apply to the bolt, so I just do do it up finger tight then notch it round another 1/4 turn.

Brown
    Free Member

Just snug it up – I’ve virtually never used the clips, but it has cost me: I forgot to tighten a caliper in the Alps. The rattling around caused the retaining pin to rattle out, taking the pads with it. Luckily there weren’t too many rocks in the ditch I crashed in to!

I guess that’s a word of caution against incompetent mechanicing more than anything else!

missnotax
    Free Member

I forgot to tighten a caliper in the Alps. The rattling around caused the retaining pin to rattle out, taking the pads with it. Luckily there weren’t too many rocks in the ditch I crashed in to!

Blimey 😯

I think I shall be obsessively checking the brake pads from now on then! (and get someone to check them before anything more hardcore!)

TheGingerOne

The pin should be just nipped up tight, no need for any more imho. Can’t say I’ve ever seen anyone mention (or own up) to the pin disappearing mid ride. They are usually soft enough that any force applied trying to over tighten them would knacker the head anyway.

rhyswilliams3
    Free Member

(didnt read previous replies)

I’ve lost mine off my k18’s and im not dead yet.

tendonitis
    Free Member

Or you could buy some replacements clips. They are £1.99 each from CRC, or about £1.00 for a packet of thirty from a fastenings dealer on ebay-search for E-clips, can’t remember the internal diameter but its something like 2mm

RicB

I think the issue is most important with new hardware

I lost a pin and pads from my back brake and almost ended in in the canal!

Once the caliper has been on for a while the crud etc tends to seize the pin in place

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Formula K24 Oro brake question..’ is closed to new replies.