Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Formula Cura 4’s… Who’s using them?
  • mboy
    Free Member

After a new break setup right now. Switched wholesale from Shimano to SRAM a few years ago just as the dreaded Shimano wandering bite point issue developed (though did briefly have some Shimano MT520 4 pots on one bike, which were very good and didn’t suffer from this actually!), was just going to order some Code RSC’s for new build having gone from Guide RS’s to G2 Ultimates, and now just wanting just a touch more power again but with the same consistent control…

Briefly rode a bike with Formula Cura 4’s a few months ago, they felt very good in a wholly unexceptional way, but had plenty enough power and modulation. I particularly like the fact they’ve gone back to basics on adjustment (I never use the pointless bite point adjusters on my brakes, and would prefer lever reach to be an allen key rather than thumbwheel to stop any potential meddlers on the trail!).

Who’s got them on their own bike? How do you feel about them after several rides on them? Any foibles? Worth the outlay compared to other offerings?

honourablegeorge

I have them. Straightforward is a good word, they’reeasy to bleed, easy to set up, easy to get along with. There’s heaps of power, good modulation, and all at a low price. Really like the feel, dead happy so far. Starbike.com were cheapest when I bought mine.

Also have Cura 2s which are good too, but more XT-like in their immediate bite, that’s the main difference to the 4s as opposed to power, they’re easily the most powerful 2 pot brakes I’ve used.

I was wary of Formula having had less than positive experience of their older models, but these are a different beast. The reach adjust is annoying and needs a small Allen key, that’s my only gripe.

Very detailed reviews of them on nsmb.com, worth a read.

jonswhite

Ive go some. Take a little effort to get set up – balancing pistons, getting drag free, but once done they seem to just work.
    Plus the shiny silver finish is lovely.

eyestwice
    Free Member

Following this thread as I almost bought some last week. Don’t mean to hijack but if anyone reading this has a comparison with Code Rs then I’d be interested to hear it.

olii
    Free Member

I’ve recently got some coming from XT 2 pots.

The Cura 4s are much more powerful and have a lot more modulation. It’s taken a bit to adjust to losing the on/off feel of XTs but I expected that and am happy with my choice. In comparison to the poster above, I had no issues setting them up and just aligned them.

It’s worth having a spare set of pads on your toolbox if you’re on a trip as not many places stock them.

hopefiendboy

My friend has some. He had the code r brakes before and likes these. I really rate the codes. I think you’d be happy with either. If I was to buy a new set depending on the price I’d get code RSC.

enigmas
    Free Member

Going against the grain, I demoed a geometron with cura 4 pots on them and didn’t really get on with them. They felt a little wooden and didn’t really get on with the lever feel. Reminded me a lot of hope brakes.

I much prefer the new Shimano 4 pots and also like codes.

bruneep

🙋‍♂️ I do

I’ve never had any issues with them, run them with Galfer brake pads. They just work

nixie

I’m tempted by the 2s however not got the best UK availablity.

luke0912
    Free Member

I have a set and really like the power and modulation they work very well for me but brake pad availability is a pain. I have been using Uber bike race matrix which have been perfect all summer, but I have found that they wear at an alarming rate in wet conditions and don’t provide the best power. I have used original sintered pads which are much better in the wet and last a bit longer but are very expensive. Hopefully a few more aftermarket options will appear soon

Kamakazie

I’ve just put some Rahox pads in my 2 pots. Will see how they last but plenty of power so far.

docgeoffyjones

I have the two pots and really rate them I had formula ones before and find these have a lot more modulation and still plenty of power.
    I would assume the 4 pots are also good but I was put off going for them due to pad availability.

mboy
    Free Member

Any more for any more…?

SirHC

Formula 2s on both bikes, excellent power & modulation. I’d reccomend them over the 4’s, as 2 pots are easier to setup and keep aligned.

lewzz10
    Free Member

Not tried 4’s, but the Cura 2 uses the same lever/master cylinder FWIW. Best brakes I’ve ever ridden, super powerful (203mm) and fantastic lever feel and modulation. Mostly used for steep enduro/DH riding in Scotland/Alps. They’re also very easy to bleed, and I’ve never had them fade in the alps (3x 2-week Morzine trips).

It’s annoying to get spares, I just go through the Euro sites as the support from Geometron (UK distributor) is non-existant. Luckily the only spares I’ve needed had been a replacement lever blade (very easy swap compared to guides), and a new bleed screw after I mangled the seal. Setting them up rub-free can be annoying, especially if your rotor is slightly out of true.

I bought mine for ~£80 per end (+adapters, rotors), which is less than a POS Guide R or SLX.

Tl;dr – I’d buy again in a heartbeat.

squealingbrakes
    Free Member

Had both Cura 2 and 4. Prefer the 4’s because they are easier to set up (more pad retraction?).

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Formula Cura 4’s… Who’s using them?’ is closed to new replies.