Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Former dyslexic road cyclist hear (Friendly abusive banter encouraged).
  • dvnjhn

Hi fellow mtb riders.

Just literally bought a bike today.  Nice wee hardtail.  Been out of cycling for a while blah blah blah.

As a massive road cyclist in my 30’s until Rhumatoid Artritus hit, I used to look at mtb riders who were over 35 say; as past it.  I would think why dont they give up pretending to be cool and just admit they will finally be road cyclists.

I find myself in a position, as I fast aproach 50 (late 40’s) where the opposite has happened.  Bit the bullet and went for MTB.  This is due to last summer I dug out my very nice Bianchi road bike.  Went out twice on it, loved the bike.  I found though, I just didnt like it (as much).  Long story short (er), my sons getting into cycling.  Thought we have lovely local off road trails and it is much safer than actual roads (IMO) and generally mtb is more fun for his age (10).]

I have loved doing all my research on what to buy etc and am going to try and get fit again, having some pure unadulterated fun doing so.

J.

Cougar

Welcome aboard.

Cougar

Oh, wait,

Friendly abusive banter encouraged

As a former dyslexic you should know it’s “here.”

(You did ask…😁)

racefaceec90

welcome 🙂

reeksy

Welcome. Nothing comes close to the fun of MTB with kids. Congratulations.

As for the forum, you’ll be banging frozen sausages into left wing sudocream/plutolined cats in no time at all… or something.

… oh, and apparently there’s a magazine, too.

dvnjhn

Thanks guys.  I subscribed to the magazine too.  40% off for both…  Got to admit I’m pretty excited about it all.  Spend a few months getting in used to cycing again.  They rides in the summer hurt!!!  I had not been on a bike in 5 years (apart from a couple of failed attempts when my arthritis had calmed the 2nd year).

matt_outandabout

Hola.

Welcome to the madhouse.

garage-dweller

Welcome! At about the same age as you I’m one of the youngsters in my evening MTB ride group.

On that basis you’re definitely not old because that would mean I am old.  I know I am not (too) old so you are not.

I also ride on road and off with my my secondary school aged boys and they will happily bring friends out.   Always a good day out.  🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Riding bikes with your kids is awesome. Fact!

dvnjhn

My 70 year old father taught my son (who is 10) during the start of lockdown.  They had great fun, It was hard to not take part.  But I realised the memories and bonding it would create.

I plan on taking him as soon as I get the hike and have done a trial run or two…

We have tried other hobbies but haven’t ent clicked with them.  I always wanted him to cycle, but he fell off quite bad for him.  He was a wee Daredevil and quite alternative sporty since then, but ask him to ride a bike, oh no, not for years.  Hoping this sticks.

TiRed

Welcome. For kids, MTB is a gateway drug to road cycling. It’s much easier because children can’t ride on the roads with cycle clubs, so you need dedicated cycle facilities. For road cyclists, MTB is a gateway drug to fun when you fancy a change from the hard miles and training blocks. (not really, I’m a hardened roadie and trackie who hardly ever gets his tyres muddy 😉). All bikes are fun.

And you aren’t the only one here with RA. I hope it’s well controlled.

ampthill

Just out of interest how did you get to be a “Former Dyslexic”? Asking for a friend

kayak23

Thanks guys. I subscribed to the magazine too

The what now?

Drac

Welcome!

Nice to hear you’ve found a new lease of life in biking.

What’s your thoughts on planes on a conveyor belt?

matt_outandabout

Riding bikes with your kids is awesome. Fact!

True dat.

I’ve seen mine go from balance bikes and trikes through to racing in the Alps, planning tours of Spain and Norway, and travelling the world to ride bikes in nice places. 👌

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Welcome. Why as a road rider have you been a member since November 2013?

bensales
    Free Member

I would think why dont they give up pretending to be cool and just admit they will finally be road cyclists.

Wait till you find out that everyone here is actually a roadie pretending to be a mountain biker.

Edukator
    Free Member

Beware of signing off your posts with “J”, it didn’t end well for Rachel.

blokeuptheroad

Welcome! You’ll love it here. I didn’t get into mtb until my late 40s and I’ve never been a roadie. I’m 60 in a few weeks. Still ride with my kids though, even if they are in their 30s! It’s the best bit about mtb for me. My daughter does have strong roadie tendencies though. I may change my will accordingly.

IMG_20210402_124740368_HDRPXL_20231026_135655002IMG_20191020_122457980_HDRIMG_20190818_160025119_HDR (1)

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve read that post twice now and still can’t find the cure for dyslexia.

dvnjhn

Yeh, definitely got the title the wrong way round.  I did give it a glance over…

The R.A has been under control for a year.  Hopefully, long may it continue.  New injections made a massive difference.  Thank the lord for the NHS.  Thank you for asking.  I had it bad for 3 years, basically an invalid.  Worst flare up ever, due to lockdown I couldn’t get in the hospital (Not moaning, they were busy), so it went unchecked and I got a cocktail of drugs to try and help it.  None did, until I qualified for a biological treatment.

muddylegs
    Free Member

Welcome along. Another RA sufferer here trying desperately to kick it in the backside and keep riding and racing mtb, albeit mid pack results. Good to hear yours is under control.👍

ayjaydoubleyou

dvnjhn

dyslexic

user name checks out

redmex
    Free Member

You will fit in perfectly here as there are a few on here who either didn’t get I before e except after c at primary school or got made to sit in the corner of the classroom with a cone on their head

elray89
    Free Member

Thing with MTB is it doesn’t get old. You can ride the same road hundreds of times and all that happens is you get faster.

Ride the same trail a hundred times and not only do you get faster, you can look for ways to get smoother, take infinite different lines, and it’s ALWAYS (or mostly) Type 1 fun unlike road biking, which can be just training sometimes.

MTB is also a hell of a workout even if you take it easy.

Plus – you get to wear cool baggy-but-not-baggy trousers and get to use sweet lingo like “Rad” and “Gnarly”. Don’t need to even think about getting run over except maybe an uplift bus once every half hour, or making sure there isn’t a sponsored 12 year old DH rider about to blow past you.

Poopscoop

Welcome to the forum op!

tonyg2003

Maybe it’s “Farmer dyslexic” ..

tonyg2003

Welcome and great to see someone coming back to the sport. Has your rheumatoid arthritis been treated in some way to allow you back on the bike?

Bunnyhop

Welcome. I’m much older than you and plan to be mtbiking again in the summer.

dvnjhn

Got an ancient Scott XC Genuis.  I worked at the Wellington school by Glentress and went MTb sometimes after work.  That’s why I have been a member since 2013!  I trust that answers your question my friend.  I also took up cyclocross with my father in 2015.  We done a 65 mile sportive in York that year, just incase that comes up.  It was horrific weather and my dad hated every minute, about 4k of climbing.  He was 63.  Still going strong on his cc bike, as is my mother.

I just got put on a medication that is top range, but they don’t give you it until all else ain’t worked.  I inject 40mg  fortnightly.  It’s around 650 British lizzies for a mg of it.  So way more expensive than methotrexate, which is horrid.

Cougar

Maybe it’s “Farmer dyslexic” ..

Old MacDonald had dyslexia, Z, X, Z, X, Q?

dvnjhn

They pictures look awesome.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.