Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Forks….used or new?
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

I can’t decide whether to buy new or used forks for my build which is a mix of new and used parts.

New…warranty etc

Used….cost saving (though seems not by much)

STW thoughts?

Liftman

Used

mtbfix

Used forks just have too many potential hidden problems IMO. That said if you get the fork so cheap that you can afford a full, warts and all, service then why not?

nicko74

Used – buy it on stw from someone who’s been here a while, and grab a bargain. I bought some Rebas in 2005 offef ebay DE, with no problems; my current forks (Revs) were bought in 2008 from a stw user who had looked after them for the princely sum of £200. Even if you have to get them serviced as soon as you get them, assuming they’ve not been thrashed you end up ahead, IMHO

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

used but only forks with a good reliability reputation and preferably that you can see before buying.

I have bought used pikes – got years of life out of them but they are deteriorating now. Three sets of ‘zocchis – all perfectly OK

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

Never bought new forks in my life…. Never had any problems!

mboy
    Free Member

Surely budget has to be a deciding factor?

Anyway, if you’re after a set of 130mm travel QR Revelations in mint condition, I might be selling mine soon… 😉

bigbloke
    Free Member

Budget yes always a factor. Thing is with various online retailers selling at reasonable discounts the used forks that come up for sale tend to be only a little bit behind in price, hence my indecision.

Mboy….i am after something with a 15 or 20mm axle really, i used to have Pikes on another bike which i really liked the feel of with the 20mm axle. For some daft reason i have it in my head QR is not up to the job (nonsense i know).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Forks….used or new?’ is closed to new replies.