Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Forks – Fox or Rockshox?
  • justinbieber

I had a biggish off last night down Garburn Pass, and part of me thinks it was a lack of stiffness in my Fox Float 32s (as well as the usual lack of skill etc etc).

How much stiffer are Revelations, or is there not really much difference now they’ve gone to 15mm axles rather than the 20mm of old? Or do you need to change to the Fox 34’s or 36’s to see a noticeable increase in stiffness? I’m riding an Orange 5, so I don’t want to put overly long (160) or heavy forks on.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Revs in 20mm I found flexy but that was coming from 36/65mm forks.
    trying some 34’s tomorrow so hopefully they are better as there is a nice set of 160mm 34’s up for grabs

eskimonumber1

I’ve just changed from Fox 32s 140 QR to Revs 150 15mm and the difference is AMAZING!

Wish I had done it sooner. The front of the bike feels stiffer and more stable for sure.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

A personal opinion obviously, but…
    I can’t really think of an instance on a fast rocky descent like Garburn when I’ve notices the stiffness of the fork being an issue. Plushness and good rebound damping seem to have a far greater effect for me.

I run a 140mm Marzocchi 44RC3ti on my Five and love it. It’s not particularly stiff, it’s definately not light, but it’s brilliant on stuff like that.

Northwind

32 is a stretched XC fork really, very flexy once it gets up to the bigger sizes. Straight-steerer Rev is closer to a 34 than a 32 overall, but still noticably less stiff than your 36s, Lyriks etc.

Fork flex doesn’t really bother me much normally but every time I ride a 32 it’s the first thing I notice, really obvious on braking- but it’s very rare I’ve ridden my Revs and thought “these are flexy”- I switch from Revs to Lyriks ofter and though there’s a difference, it’s not one that really makes much of a difference.

justinbieber

Ecky-Thump – maybe you’re right. I just felt like I was being thrown all over the place and the front wheel was wandering. I still managed 12th on Strava though so I can’t complain too much 😀

Northwind – Are the Revs still stiff even now they’ve gone to a 15mm axle, or did the extra stiffness come from the 20mm?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I ran 2010 wind-down 20mm Lyriks on my ’08 Five for a while. 120 for flat singletrack, 160 for playing on downhills. TBH, you could run at 160 all the time without too much trouble.

wl
    Free Member

Interesting, this. I’m looking at a set of pre-CTD tapered 140mm Float RLs with FIT for my build – are they generally rated as a decent fork for slow technical and fast rocky stuff? Long-lasting too? Ta.

Northwind

justinbieber – Member

Northwind – Are the Revs still stiff even now they’ve gone to a 15mm axle, or did the extra stiffness come from the 20mm?

If there’s a difference between the 15 and 20, it’s small enough that I didn’t notice but I’ve not ridden the 15mm versions very much.

QR Revelation is stiffer than a 15mm 32 though 😉

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

I doubt it was fork flex to be honest.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

You still beat me down as well (-;

32’s are too flexy for hooning down lakeland descents IMO. You get too easily deflected on the rocks, I definitely noticed the difference anyway. I would get Pikes, 34’s or 36’s. You could get them lowered to 150 or 140 mm if you didn’t want to mess with your geometry.

A Fox 34 has a lower axle to crown height than a 36 so you could get away with a pair of those.

justinbieber

I doubt it was fork flex to be honest.

What do you think it was then?

justinbieber

You still beat me down as well (-;

32’s are too flexy for hooning down lakeland descents IMO. You get too easily deflected on the rocks, I definitely noticed the difference anyway. I would get Pikes, 34’s or 36’s. You could get them lowered to 150 or 140 mm if you didn’t want to mess with your geometry.

A Fox 34 has a lower axle to crown height than a 36 so you could get away with a pair of those.

Ha ha, yeah – the look on your face when you realised I’d crashed yet still beaten you was a good un. Nice to see you last night – it’s been ages

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

You and your mind ;)….or possibly fork set up?

b45her
    Free Member

could save £400 and get a set of x fusion slants.

justinbieber

You and your mind

You’re not suggesting that I was at fault are you? Surely the answer to all problems like this is to throw money at it? 😆

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

That’s the silly thing I’d do 🙂

danielgroves
    Free Member

I’ve just changed from Fox 32s 140 QR to Revs 150 15mm and the difference is AMAZING!

Wish I had done it sooner. The front of the bike feels stiffer and more stable for sure.

Ditto. Did exactly the same last month.

iainc

XFusions are getting good reviews and as mentioned in ealrier post much less dosh for Fox typre performance

geordiepaul
    Free Member

I recently changed from 32’s to 36’s and the difference is amazing..
    I found the 32’s took me where they want to go, I think that’s the best way to describe it….with the 36’s the bike goes where I want. Yeah they’re heavier but going down is much more fun now 🙂

sprocker
    Free Member
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Forks – Fox or Rockshox?’ is closed to new replies.