Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Forks for a Flux
  • debaser

A frankly ridiculous discount and a rush of blood to the head led to me buying my first boingy frame – a 2010 Turner Flux – a couple of weeks ago.

The Magura Laurin FCRs (100-130mm) I was planning on using are too short of steerer for the Fluxes mahoosive head tube so it’s time for new forks.

After a wee bit of research the following look suitable…

2010 Fox F120 RLC FIT forks
    2012 Magura Durin Race 120mm
    2012 Rockshox Reba RLT 120mm

It’s not going to be an especially light build and I’d like the option of altering travel between 100-130mm but can’t see any options on the market at the moment with most going for dual position travel adjust with unsuitable travel options for the frame. The 210mm ish of steerer required limits second hand options too.

Can Dual Position Revelations be spaced down to run 100-130mm rather than 120-150mm?

Anyone have any advice on the above or know of any alternatives I might have missed?

CaptainSlow

Got some DT Swiss XMM 120 Twin Shots on mine. They go well with the Flux if your looking for a good trail bike.

rickon
    Free Member

Dual position are set at the travel they are AFAIK.

Fox 120s are great – best feel, best setup, stiff, but you need to keep on top of the servicing to keep them wear free – so if you happy to drop the lowers once a month or so then they’re you best bet. Plus if you fit SKF seals, they’re be buttery smooth. (I’ve had F100, F120, 140 FiT Kashima)

Rebas would be my next bet, service intervals are less, they have better small bump tolerance than Fox, but I don’t think they feel as nice overall. (I’ve had Reba Race, SID Race, SID Team, Sid RLT ti, Rev Race)

Magura… I’ve had some 2010 Thors, and they were a pain in the bottom to set up, and never felt right. Personally, Reba or Fox. And go with QR15 or Maxle light.

Given the years you’ve given, I’d go brand new and have warranty – well worth it with forks, I’d avoid secondhand to be honest as most people dont know or understand how worn their forks are.

Good luck, I love my DW Link Flux… best bike i’ve ridden by far, I’m running Fox 120 RLC FiT Kashimas with SKF seals 🙂

WRT DT Swiss above… the service interval is huge – 200 hours i think, so they’re fit and forget. My issue with them is zero small bump tolerance, as they don’t sit down in their travel.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    debaser

Thanks folks, most useful. Definitely going for new forks and it’s probably between the F120s and the Rebas.

If I can figure out if the 2012 Reba RLT is 90-120mm u turn, then, along with the more forgiving servicing intervals it might swing it to the RS.

I have a strange and irrational compulsion to match the rear shock and fork though 🙄

Will have a look at the DT Swiss too. cheers.

rickon
    Free Member

Climbing at 120mm with the Flux is very good indeed, I wouldn’t want to steepen the head angle; I’ve raced on the Flux a few times this year and it’s been great fun and very fast – even though its no where near as light as my carbon Spark was.

Why would you want to be able to adjust the travel? You’d end up just leaving them at 120mm – have a look at this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/turner/review-turner-flux-dw-link-120mm-vs-100mm-fork-732356.html

I agree with the comments in the review. I’d also add that it descends like my old Zesty did with 140mm front and rear – it’s crazy that a 105mm rear end can feel like that.

Digger90
    Free Member

Flux is a VERY nice bike!

I ran Fox RLT’s on mine, very adjustable, but after a few weeks I left them in the 120mm setting ALL the time.

Fox no better/worse than Reba or Magura so choose anything but 120mm is great.

debaser

Sounds like 120 is the magic number then 🙂

Having said that, I’ve now read a couple of threads on here and mtbr that say 130mm is pretty damn good too 😕

convert

I took an alternative approach.I bought a RS SID 120 fork and after riding it at 120mm and spaced down to 100mm in the end I bought it a works components 1 deg angleset and spaced the fork to 110mm. I have a bike now that’s slightly slacker in head angle than a standard flux set to 120mm (which is still steeper than some 100mm FS bikes) but with the BB height and seatpost angle almost exactly like they were with the standard flux and a 100mm fork. To me that’s the perfect compromise – it’s all pretty subtle changes tbh but this feels good to me.

I used to switch in a 110-140mm PIKE U-turn wound down a bit (110mm most of the time as a PIKE has a 10mm longer crown to axle length than most 120mm forks for a given suspension travel length then open up to 130mm on some of the downs) to beef the bike up a bit when riding tougher stuff out of my comfort zone but I’ve got used to it as it is now and haven’t bothered for a while.

rickon
    Free Member

Turner wont warranty the frame at 130, as it’s not designed to work at those tolerances – and I wouldn’t risk it, I know it’s only a degree more, but still….

120 is perfect 🙂

organic355
    Free Member

Debaser youve got me worried. Ive just got a 2011 flux and was planning on putting on my 100mm SIDS, but I think Ive only got 7 inches (180mm) or so of steerer. Are they not going to fit?

organic355
    Free Member

Just checked ive got a medium, which has a 4.3 inch head tube. Rule of thumb is headtube +3inches right? So I am borderline but think I will be OK?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Forks for a Flux’ is closed to new replies.