Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fork upgrade for Zesty
  • goyawave
    Free Member

My dilemma; I’d like to upgrade my fox 32 rl 140mm forks on my Zesty to something stiffer and longer at 150mm. I have been looking at used fox 34’s but it isn’t that much more for new Rockshox Pike RCT3 150mm. However, I reckon I will upgrade my bike next year and will almost certainly want 160mm and I hate to say it…. 650B. Anyone got any bright ideas on how to upgrade my current fork and future proof my next ride…..

rickon
    Free Member

Fox forks accept 650b wheels.

Or.

Keep your current fork, and ride it as its probably better at 140mm anyway. Then spend all your saved cash on the bike you really want next year.

You never know, it might be 28″ wheels by then anyway.

portydave
    Free Member

I had a zesty with the same dilemma as you, and went for the x fusion vengeance. Can be adjusted to any travel up to 170 mm, and takes 650b. I ran them at 160mm, and was much better than the 140 foxes they replaced.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The 34 is a 140/150/160 mm fork with internal spacers (mine certainly is) and the first ones were apparently 650b compatible or you could check the A2C on the 650b specific one and run it with 26 – same with the Pike.
    The Pike also comes in 150 or 160 (probably a spacer but worth checking) in 26 & 650b.

I changed from a fox 140 32 rl to a 36 but sha&ed up the handling at 160 so put 20 spaces in and works a treat now !
    + it climbs better now as well some how !!!!!

jairaj

The new RS solo air fork travel cannot be adjusted by use of spacers you need a different length air spring.

I agree with Rickon, ride what you got until you are ready to buy the new bike. Or get a 650 fork and just run it with a 26″ wheel for now.

Some new RS Revs for trail and light AM riding, Pikes if you like to get proper gnarly. Or set of X fusion

maxtorque

The std RL fork on the zesty is the bikes weakest point imo. I ditched mine (well handed down to another of my bikes 😉 for a 150rlc and the abbility to tune the low speed compression has completely transformed the front of the bike. I can now get full travel in extemis, yet not have it respond like a soft sponge at low speeds.

The only problem with that upgrade? Afterwards i felt the back of the bike was then the weak link, so that got upgraded too……

goyawave
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, I certainly have more ideas than this time yesterday. Currently considering running 26″ on X Fusion Sweep set at 150mm, which I believe is possible. Need to get my head round the effect of geometry change on the Zesty.
    Otherwise, I’ll stick with what I’ve got as no point in compromising my next bike which will probably be a Nicolai or Liteville. However, at 80+ kg I can’t help thinking a stiffer fork would be a good upgrade.

yathers
    Free Member

Ive got a 2010 zesty and never felt happy with the flexy forks on it. Bought a set of lyriks, 160mm and it really transformed the ride. Stiff, and great to drop the travel on long climbs. I know people will say it messes up the geometry, but honestly I could only notice the better angles for dh and general xc riding.

jswain90
    Free Member

I have a 2010 Lapierre Zesty I have upgraded for quality rather than quantity of travel. Just put on my bike a set of 2014 Fox Float FIT CTD’s 140mm’s with the CTD damper and kashima coating, they also have a 15mm bolt thru to stiffen up the front axle.

I have come to the limitations of my current Fox Float RL Forks, they seem rather flexy and there is no high speed damping adjustment.

goyawave
    Free Member

So the upgrade is worth it then for the Zesty. The Sweep (sounds like a hand puppet!!) I am considering is 27.5 specific version of the Slant. Has anyone got a view on using a 26″ wheel on a 27.5″ specific fork?

goyawave
    Free Member

So the upgrade is worth it then for the Zesty. The Sweep (sounds like a hand puppet!!) I am considering is 27.5 specific version of the Slant. Has anyone got a view on using a 26″ wheel on a 27.5″ specific fork?

goyawave
    Free Member

Just ot follow-up, I ordered a set of X-fusion Sweep with DLA… just have to wait until next year!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fork upgrade for Zesty’ is closed to new replies.