Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • FORK STICTION PROBLEM
  • therealhoops
    Free Member

A chum has bought some 2nd hand Rebas for his 29er. They look in good condition but they ain’t working. They’ve got stiction issues and lockout when the front brake is on. They work fine though when the front brake is on and the bike is being pushed backwards.
    I thought it was a lube issue so I stripped them. On closer inspection the damper was leaking and it looks like the previous owner attempted to disassemble the damper, causing the leak in the process. There was also zero oil in the spring side and the crush washers had been over tightened.
    I’ve replaced the damper, oil and crush washers but it’s still sticking even with compression damper removed.
    It must be either the bushes or something in the spring side. Before we chuck anymore money at them could anyone offer some clues?

Love and kisses TRH

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Sounds like the bushes are worn and are binding.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I had loads of stiction on some 26er Rebas. Was the o rings on the air piston that caused it. Soon as I bought the seal kit off ebay and resealed it, it was nice and plush again. I think the seals had swelled slightly which had caused the stickiness, however much I changed the oil in stripping them down made no difference.

therealhoops
    Free Member

I did ponder a sticking seal but the problem feels more ‘mechanical’. Works one way but not the other consistently. I’m 99% it’s the bushes.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The only reason seasons would have swollen would have been if the wrong oil was used.

jamcorse

it doesn’t sound good but if the bushes are binding, you might notice the play? For the cost of a pair of circlip pliers and some patience, it is worth stripping down the air spring to see and giving it a full service. Even if you find that it is the bushes, all you then need is a new lower and then you’ve got a great fork and the new-found knowledge to keep it in top shape. Between my wife and I we’ve got 4 reba/Sids in 29 flavour, I service and tweak them and they are excellent forks.

BlobOnAStick

I had a pair of Recons doing similar, but they were virtually new. Plenty of poking and prodding lead me to realising that the bushing on one side had been installed too deep and was beyond the recess it was supposed to sit in. This made the bush compressed at the base and slightly conical.

New bush inserted and Bob’s your uncle; smooth and plush travel was restored.

devash
    Free Member

Sounds like a problem with the bushings. My 26″ Rebas came like that brand new. Went back for warranty, came back the same. I need to send them back off again now you mention it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘FORK STICTION PROBLEM’ is closed to new replies.