Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • fork steerer – reassure or depress me
  • moraycup

Discovered my forks looked like this tonight. Reba’s about 3 yrs old. Seems mainly superficial rubbing with slight edge/lip at the bottom. What do you think, will they be ok? Will they fail and kill me!

Not sure what has caused it. Loose headset at some point. All feels fine inside.

Thanks

letmetalktomark

My 2009 Rebas have similar scoring albeit not as severe. Mine now reside off of the bike just to be sure. 🙁

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I’d ride those, no worries.

takisawa2

Wouldn’t bother me.
    You could run one of those headlock things with the long bolt that goes right through the steerer if your worried. If it does go at least its unlikely to drop apart.

sparkuk
    Free Member

It’d even be dangerous to keep those in the house….. I’ll send you a postage paid jiffy bag 🙂

Joking aside they’ll be fine, you could smooth the lip off if you wanted to be really sure.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Perfectly fine.

Frankers
    Free Member

Chris King headset……. tis normal

moraycup

Many thanks, suitably reassured now. 🙂

Almost a pity, there are some nice prices around at the moment on new rock shox!

hora
    Free Member

Question, I’ve got CK line-scoring from my top cup. Is there a homemade solution or something on the market now that I can buy/add to stop this? I read somewhere that CK didn’t do this before as it’d mean paying a patent fee.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Chris King have now changed the design as the patent they refused to pay has run out. So they now do a split compression ring like Cane Creek. You should be able to fit the kit to your old King headset. No more wobbly steerer scoring headset.

beanieripper
    Free Member

you need a chris king griplok, 20 quid from aspire velotech, fitted one to mine

Northwind

ChunkyMTB – Member

Chris King have now changed the design as the patent they refused to pay has run out.

No no no, they definately made them that way because of some performance benefit, remember? 😆

Absolute joke that they’re charging for the parts to fix their poor design though.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I solved my Scoring Chris King Headset by selling mine and replacing it with Acros 6 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘fork steerer – reassure or depress me’ is closed to new replies.