Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • fork removal
  • meeeee
    Free Member

ummm probably a really obvious question this but…

i need to get my forks serviced so am sending them to TFT. Do i just loosen stem bolts, and remove headset bolt then they will just push out from the frame? or is there anything i need to do to the bottom part of the headset.

Anything special to do when i reinstall them?

scaredypants

Loosen & remove top cap & stem

Fork may then pull out but more likely need a whack or two with a rubber mallet/block of wood on the top of steerer to loosen the headset wedge thingy (Assuming here it’s an aheadset and ain’t made by Christaltips King). Once the steerer has pushed through a bit you can push it back up – the wedge should rise with it & be easily removable. Crown race can stay on the fork.

Be careful how you hold/brace the frame while whacking the steerer so you don’t scratch or dent it – best way, I think, is to invert frame & hit the steerer onto a lump of wood that’s on a bench (try to avoid poking yer eye out)

NB if you hit steerer hard enough I suppose the whole fork could shoot out & damage something but never happened to me – I guess you could “tie it on” with an inner tube or something if worried

Putting back – make sure you keep the headset bits in order (may well drop its (hopefully sealed unit!) bearings out when the fork comes out, so be careful & then use something (string, old inner tube, chicken entrails) tied through the head tube to hold it all together)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘fork removal’ is closed to new replies.