Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Fork Oil weights
  • richmtb

Hi Folks

Has anyone experimented with different weight damping oil in RS forks?

As I understand it there is no such thing as a standard 5wt oil (or any other weight for that matter)

I was planning on using Motul 5wt for servicing my damper anyone tried any other weights or brands?

Ta

Rich

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you have a search for Peter Verdone, you’ll find some interesting stuff regarding suspension oil weights etc on there.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I use the correct weight oil but buy from my local motorbike shop as the bottles are bigger, cost less and do exactly the same job.

richmtb

A bit of googling and I found this:

Fork Oil Weights

Not all fork oil weights are created equally.

For example is you used Motul 5wt oil (available from you local motorbike factors) in place of RS 5wt its actually a fair bit thicker

ndthornton
    Free Member

….then just turn the red knob back a bit 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve run 10wt in my Revelations, with a corresponding drop in spring pressure and they felt pretty inert, but they gripped like poo to a blanket.

I’ve since swapped back to 5wt, which has made the fork much more active and divey, plus the spring pressures have had to be increased significantly. Grip-wise they’re still pretty good though, so perhaps I’ve got the rebound dialed.

I’ll be refilling with 7.5wt very soon as I don’t like the front end too active.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Fork Oil weights’ is closed to new replies.