Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Fork offset? 51 or 42
  • renton
    Free Member

Im about to buy some forks for my Bfe max and am not sure what offset I need or if it matters?

Found some 150mm pikes in 42mm offset?

Would these be ok or do I need 51mm

Thanks

mudfish

I switched to short offset forks in 2015.
    It suite long slack bikes IMO.
    Is your Befe a 29er, long and slack (ish)? –
    I prefer 42mm / 160 / 29er Lyric on my XL Geometron 62 degree head angle approx.

Back in 2015 I had 650B Float 36 on, I preferred 37 offset (or was it 36) – basically using the Fox 36 26″ CSU and 27.5 lowers.

When I first went to 27.5/29 [mixed wheel sizes], I tried 51mm offset / 29er 160 forks and felt I had to push the bike over too far in corners for singletrack compatibility. It felt too slack. The 42 offset Lyric fixed that.

Shorter offset = more trail, so more stability. calm. I think that will be. nice touch on a rowdy hardtail.

Shorter offset also meant that the bars needed turning a bit more when steering the through slow Singletrack – that helps thread my 820 bar between the trees.
    The one disadvantage, I’m told, is at high speed on a tight track riding blind – the bike will not change direction quite as fast. I’m not fast enough to notice that but it partly explains why the DH guys run longer offset [although a few are going shorter in the WC arena with the Mojo MORC – and differences in dual crown fork flex lead too different actual trail too, so there numbers can’t be compared directly with SC forks].

The upside is shorter offset (more trail) feels more “calm”

According to Honda testing with Minnaar back in the day resulted in the decision that stem length should be less than offset. Interesting.

neilB

TheGhost
    Free Member

I also switchewd to short offset.

I was running a 29er 150mm Pike 51mm
    I switched to a 29er 150mm lyrik 42mm

On the same bike, with a 65 degree head angle and 32mm stem, the difference was very noticable. More linear in steering feel and more controlled. I wouldn’t go back to 51mm now.

There is a reason all the 51mm forks are on sale, and that nobody is specing them on their modern LLS trail bikes anymore.

scandal42
    Free Member

Just picked up some 42mm for my bfe max.

Can’t tell you if it’s any different to 51mm as they are in a van somewhere.

I wanted a more stable feeling bike so this combined with longer stays should help.

Onzadog
    Free Member

When I bought my medium Vanquish frame, the manufacturer recommended 51mm offset. I fitted the 44 instead and it rides just fine.

However, my large Ibis HD3 came with 42mm offset as standard for its 650b wheels. I’ll not be putting short offset on that one.

renton
    Free Member

Cheers all.

Ive just spoke with Paul at Cotic and he advised on the shorter offset. 42mm Pike select on its way!

scandal42
    Free Member

Renton, why did he advise on the shorter offset? Just curious.

My 42mm Pike arrived this morning

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fork offset? 51 or 42’ is closed to new replies.