Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Fork musings
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

So it’s finally new bike time and I have a set of only 16 month old Pike forks. Ideally with whatever new bike I get I’d like to give some wider 2.5/2.6 tyres a go. I know I’m going to have no choice but to go Boost with the bike because all new bikes are that way inclined, however, I’m wondering if I can save money and stick with the forks I have and be none boost. Does anybody know whether a standard set of 27.5 2016 160mm Pikes will accommodate larger tyres? For the tiny difference I can’t see any reason at all to cost myself even more money immediately just to go Boost at the front, unless I’m missing something?

chiefgrooveguru

The newer Boost Pikes have way more clearance than my older ones. However I’m still running DHF & Shorty 2.5 in it with an under arch mudguard.

davewalsh
    Free Member

A 2.8 will just about fit in my 2015 non-boost pikes.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Earlier in the year when it was wet and muddy I was using a 2.5WT Shorty in some old, maybe 2015, non boost 27.5 Pikes with a Mudhugger.  I think most 2.6 tyres would be fine but 2.8 may be pushing it

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Do yourself a favour, have an actual look at the 2.6″ tyres on a bike, and see if you can justify the cost of a new fork for about a horseflies bawhair worth of extra width, if it’s even that. As above, you’ll fit 2.5s on a standard pike no probs anyway.

Spend some of that money on a Luftkappe instead. 🙂

Kahurangi

I’m running Maxxis 2.5″ (WT) tyres with a mudguard and have loads of room, so you’ll likely be fine with your existing forks.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Fab great news, now I just have to hope the steerer isn’t cut too short!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fork musings’ is closed to new replies.