Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fork musings, Fox 32 29ers and/or…. well.. not sure.
  • weeksy

Having the usual winter debate I’ve had now for a while regarding my forks.

They’re a set of Fox32 float from a 2010 Giant XTC29er. Condition is good and all works well, rebound fine, lockout good etc etc.. Couple of lower station marks and a bit of sticker coming off, but pretty good. They’ve got a 267mm steerer and are tapered and 15mm.

So, the question I have is whether to sell them and buy a new set, or get them serviced. Have forks moved on that much in the past few years that a set of Manitou tower pro or a set of 2014 Reba SL’s are now arguably ‘better’ than the Fox’s I have (even if I service them).

The reason I ask is that due to steerer length of 267mm and overall stack height being 271mm i’m completely on the edge of any adjustment and can’t change/spacer it at all. Now, I don’t know if a spacer or two would make the bike better.. or indeed worse…But currently I don’t have the choice/option.

I rekon I could get £150+ for the Foxs ?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/manitou-tower-pro-forks-29-tapered-steerer-2013/rp-prod71593

Any thought appreciated.

LoCo
    Free Member

If the Floats have a FIT damper get them serviced as the performance will be better than the other two.
    If it’s an open bath damper I be looking at the new Rebas or some X Fusion slides 😀

mrjmt
    Free Member

I was going to get some of those tower pros, but 100mm out of stock in both colours.
    That might help your decision?!?

weeksy

I don’t believe they’re FIT type mate, they’re described as this on Giants website from that date

” Fox 32 F29 RL-100, 15mm thru-axle, tapered steerer fork”

LoCo
    Free Member

Open bath if rebound knob on top of crown. FIT is at bottom of leg

weeksy

mrjmt – Member

I was going to get some of those tower pros, but 100mm out of stock in both colours.
    That might help your decision?!?

If going for the Manitou I was actually debating throwing in a 120mm. Some have done it and are happy on the Spearfish.

weeksy

These are the REBA’s i’m watching for later

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151174954711?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

But there’s plenty of others on Ebay etc.

There’s also a pair of Recons for £150

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151174954711?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

LoCo
    Free Member

I’d maybe avoid the remote as they can be a bit faffy in the ‘slop’, a crown adjust also allows a little more adjustment on the compression too.
    You can swap the compression dampers over though.

weeksy

It’s all so very complex isn’t it. LOL

Any thoughts on top-of-head valuation on my Fox forks lads ?

mrjmt
    Free Member

I was looking at those rebas on eBay too, especially as I’m in York but they’re G2 geometry, don’t know how much of a difference that makes?

weeksy

You’ve surpassed my knowledge of forks… What’s G2 geometry ?

mrjmt
    Free Member

Think it means the dropouts are a bit further forward than normal. Designed for Gary Fisher frames. I think…

mrjmt
    Free Member

I think i’ve fried my brain on this.

This link explains it I think.

I’m looking for forks for my Dirty Harry, dont think I will want it to turn in any quicker as its quite a racey frame.

weeksy

Much appreciated mate… i’ll pass on them.

Spent the morning swapping my chainring stuff about to run a proper 1×10 setup, so not really looked much into the forks in all honesty. So I’ve removed that pair from my potential list.

Busy now searching to see if Charliethebikemonger has shipped out my small chainring bolts for Sat

mrjmt
    Free Member

no worries, hopefully we wont end up bidding against each other!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fork musings, Fox 32 29ers and/or…. well.. not sure.’ is closed to new replies.