Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fork Advice Please….do I pay £300 for a repair or buy new? If so which ones?
  • puffingbilly
    Free Member

I have a scott scale 30 which is a few years old and gets limited use as I am more road (anyway the last mtb race i did i ended with concussion so a bit less keen than I was) however my rockshock SIDs developed a fault (lockout failed) so I sent them off for a service, report back says there is corrosion on the stansions letting the oil by and therefore the only fix is new stansions all for £300.

Seems to me given the price of new forks that I may as well buy a new set? I am not sure the advantage of SiDs over the standard fork to be honest.

Merlin have some good deals like Reba RL for £270…

Has anyone any advice….if it matters I am a lightweight (65kg) and ride mainly trails with little rocky terrain.

Will the forks have any resale value for spares?

Any help gratefully received.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

For that price is definitely but new . Reba are great forks.

Scapegoat

Exactly that^^

Junkyard
    Free Member

new stanchions wont fix a lockout fail

Replace basically as it is just not worth it
    Value limited as internals and stanchions are goosed
    I would pay £40 tops on the off chance I could fix them /use on a winter hack??

core

Get Reba’s – As low as £240 for 2012 dual air’s from Merlin

LoCo
    Free Member

Corrosion on the inside of the stantions?! hmm, have you got any pictures? It’s usually a seal issue with lockout issues.

superstu
    Free Member

Sell your existing forks for spares on here or the Bay and get some Rebas.

tomaso
    Free Member

Flog old’uns as spares or repairs and enjoy the progress of new technology, a warranty and some plush new forks. New SIds or Rebas should fit the bill and there are plenty of deals around.

takisawa2

Corrosion…on a Ti-Nitrided alloy tube thats sealed inside & occasionally swished with oil…? 😉 😉

stumpy01

Sounds like they are pulling a fast one to me. The lockout normally fails when you lose damping oil.
    I’d be asking for some pics of said corrosion.

I bet if you stuck some new seals in and fresh oil they’d be fine.

puffingbilly
    Free Member

Thanks all…I have asked the LBS for a bit more info as I suspect SRAM or their service centre are chancing their arm.

Will probably go for new Rebas as they get good reviews and will be fine for the riding I do although its tempting to make the change to a niner…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fork Advice Please….do I pay £300 for a repair or buy new? If so which ones?’ is closed to new replies.