Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • Forgotten helmet when arriving at trail head, do you…
  • ibnchris

A) go ahead without helmet and ride as usual
    B) go ahead without helmet and take it a little easier
    C) drive 1 hour home and get your helmet
    D) drive 20 mins to bike shop and buy new one

Onzadog
    Free Member

Last time this happened to us, the wife used my helmet, gloves and glasses. I rode, as normal, without.

Theory being, I don’t normally/often come off. If I do something differently, I can’t rely on that pattern. For that occasion, it worked.

ctk
    Free Member

Depends where but either b) or d)

weeksy

A or D

Probably A

Splash-man
    Free Member

This, i like to change my helmet on a regular basis anyway.
    Or should I say, it normally needs changing one acregular basis due to ‘contacts’…..

iainc

No helmet, No ride.

So C or D.

thegreatape
    Free Member

E) Borrow one of TJ’s spares.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’d start with B but drift to A.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

A

People did used to ride bikes before the helmet gestapo arrived. Some of them survived.

JoB
    Free Member

A

statistically you’re more likely to suffer a head injury on the drive to the trailhead (and doing C or D is only going to make this worse), so if you’ve survived the car journey you’ll probably be ok on the ride

(lights blue touch-paper and retires)

bencooper
    Free Member

A, because I never wear a helmet anyway.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Happened to me twice, 1st I bought the ugliest helmet I’ve ever seen from the bargain bin.

2nd whist I forgot my trail lid I had my FF in the boot so I used that and sweated half to death.

kayla1
    Free Member

I’d like to think B but it’d turn to A pretty quickly. It does feel weird riding without a lid now though.

Bregante

This happened years ago with a group I used to ride with occasionally.

One lad (decent rider but prone to crashing) forgot his helmet for a ride at llandegla. We suggested he fork out for a new one from the chaps at the shop but he point blank refused despite them having some decent helmets on sale for not a lot of money. Two of the other lads got really annoyed and refused to ride with him without one. He dug his heels in so they shot off without him, leaving me – a relative newcomer to their group to plod round with him. Not surprisingly he got several “where’s your lid?” comments and I was a bit embarrassed for him.

Looking back – *he was a bit of a dick.

So, er D.

Edit: *and I’ve got a feeling that he used to be on here 😳

z1ppy

A1 – Just ride and feel bloody weird and unprepared to do anything daft.

Well that what happened the one and only time I’ve done it.

jam-bo

On one of the early stw/mleh rides, treemagnet left his helmet at home, bought a new one and then left that behind in the car park.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Even. Though I have a spare skidlid in the boot, I’d still opt for A, as rode for years without one..

leffeboy

If I’m riding with pals ask them if they are comfy with B, otherwise D

CheesybeanZ

Will they price match the tinternet and have they got the latest enduro gnarlid in a gulf racing colorway …

hodgynd
    Free Member

I wouldn’t ride without a helmet …

Junkyard
    Free Member

A or B

andy4d

I did B last summer when it happened to me. Considered C but went B. It turned out to be a steady bimble hoping no one would see me and pass judgment on my riding lidless. I don’t think it is clever to ride without a lid…..but I did, don’t judge me.

kerley
    Free Member

A, because I never wear a helmet anyway.

+1

pitduck
    Free Member

B trailing in to A

hamishthecat
    Free Member

B trailing in to A

^^ This probably. I did it at CyB a couple of years ago when I took my bike on a work site visit and forgot helmet and gloves. Had a great ride only slightly spoiled by the expectation someone would comment, which irritated me in advance – although no one did!

hatter

In years gone by it’s have been B but now we have kids in tow and have to set a good example it’ll be C or D.

Or even better…

E: Ask nicely to borrow one from the bike hire place at the trail centre, grovel or bribe with cake if required.

nedrapier

B trailing in to A

here too, although the question might just as well be “You get 5 minutes from your house and realise the reason why everything feels so airy and free and pleasant is that you’ve forgotten your helment. Do you…”

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

For me, C or D. Only cos I’ve smashed 2 by bashing me napper.

sirromj

You get 5 minutes from your house and realise the reason why everything feels so airy and free and pleasant is that you’ve forgotten your helment. Do you..

A) turn round and get helmet. Because it felt weird and OH would be cross.

km79
    Free Member

A if the trails are of the tame xc type or fireroads/estate tracks
    B if the trails are a bit more technical singletrack
    C only if I was away for a few days
    D likely if I was planning on riding some more technical tracks or doing an uplift day

iainc

Would be interesting to know how many who are opting for A or B have previously had serious crashes that involved smashing their helmets to bits.

Jerome
    Free Member

Definately B.
    In a similar vain, Found myself with no minipump at trial centre last xmas.
    Got a few strange looks as i cycled around with a track pump bungied to my camelbak.

singlespeedstu

I’d go for E if it was cold and just ride with a woolly hat like I did BITD.
    Or F it was hot and stick some TLD stickers on my bald bonce and pretend I had my skin coloured Enduro lid on.

tomhoward

I had a similar dilemma, having forgotten knee pads. Picked A.

Was in theatre the next day, having spent the night in hospital, getting my knee cleaned out with dettol and a wire brush. Left with 10 stitches.

So not A.

simondbarnes

Wouldn’t bother me in the slightest, I’d just ride. Helmets just encourage people to ride beyond their abilities which is why you see so many broken ones.

kayak23

Depends if I was doing aggressive xc or hard Enduro. If the latter,
    I’d strap one knee pad to me head.

sl80
    Free Member

E) hire one from a shop for a few £s

Did this a few years ago from Blazing Bikes in Shropshire when I turned up without a helmet, i wouldn’t ride without one so buying a new one was an option until I found out I could hire one.

pitduck
    Free Member

(previously had serious crashes that involved smashing their helmets to bits)no never not in the 24ish years riding my mountain bike mostly in the peak,perhaps your clumsy.. 😀

singlespeedstu

Not G though
    G = Ride like Shaun Burns.

simmy
    Free Member

D )

I am so used to riding with a helmet. I think the last time I rode without was just up our street whilst checking the gears were indexing correctly.

When on Bikeabiliity, we obviously have to wear helmets all the time as we have to set an example to the kids. We are allowed to take them off if it’s hot weather and we are off the bike teaching the kids, but we can’t pedal a millimetre without wearing a helmet.

On our annual training day, we even have to sign a consent form to do the practical part and we are only on the back streets near the office.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Forgotten helmet when arriving at trail head, do you…’ is closed to new replies.