Forgotten albums

• This topic has 70 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 4 months ago by  DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Forgotten albums
  • Was listening to some music last night and heard Feed the Tree by Belly. It was bugging me where I knew this from and after some searching came across a 1993 compilation album called Loaded which I had on cassette and had completely forgotten about. After listening to all the tracks the memories came flooding back – I must have been 18 and I bought it at Manchester airport on the way to holiday and played it death on my Walkman. It made me feel young and sent me down a rabbit hole of forgotten tracks e.g. I’d forgotten how good Jesus Jones were…

loaded front cover

loaded rear cover

It always amazes me how music can bring back such strong memories and emotions

Anyone else have this album, or any other albums you played to death but had forgotten about, only to discover again?

I’ve recently dug this out from the CDs in the attic…

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Sitting in the back of my mates car the other day and he put this on..

It’s been decades since I last heard it.. it was actually really rather good.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Funnnnnillly enough, was decorating the other day, stereo was disconnected, so shoved a DVD of music I found in the DVD player to play through the telly. Not that any of that is relevant, but the album from Simian “We Are Your Friends” was on there. 2002, apparently. Was a good album. Wonder what happened to em. Apart from the big remix of this by Justice, they disappeared…

Ps. Strange how old music makes people “feel young”. Always makes me feel old… 2002 was 17 years ago!

locum76

Tango n vective by Mu-ziq reared it’s pretty head this week. That compilation looks ace.

redmex

Bikebouy seeing as your mate likes Jean does he have a stash of Klaus Wonderlich 8 track tapes under the seat? Jarre best left to the French folk

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

Well, I have an album on MiniDisc that i recorded 20 years ago.   I sensibly labelled it ‘We’, so trying to google it or find it later was very hard, after I lost the disc itself.

Untll i found it last year in a shoebox of photos. It’s utterly brilliant and its classification is not easy. They call it illbient apparently, but it’s mainlyy jungle and ambient weirdness

‘We As Is’ is the album , and I now know DJ OLive was member

Premier Icon fingerbang
    Subscriber

South

I’ve got ‘from here on in’ and ‘with the tides’

Both really good albums from early noughties.

Colours in waves is just a great song

Can’t believe they weren’t any bigger to be honest, I think they got disillusioned with it all. Worked with James Lavelle IIRC

Hard band name to Google though

Also The Rain Band. Saw them supporting John squire in 2003 and they had a pretty strong debut album but then disappeared. ‘the runaways’ off that album is well worth listening if you can find it anywhere

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

I sensibly labelled it ‘We’, so trying to google it or find it later was very hard
    Great track that.

Why didn’t these people realise someone was going to try to google them one day!?

Another favourite for this was

@DezB I know what you mean, ‘made me feel young’ wasn’t quite what I meant, more ‘reminded me of my youth’, which is something quite different…

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

‘made me feel young’ wasn’t quite what I meant, more ‘reminded me of my youth’, which is something quite different…

Yeah, makes more sense! Not like one of these “School disco” women: dressing up in ill-fitting school uniform and getting hammered to 80s music makes em feel young! 😆

IHN

Not so much forgotten, but just listened to after a looooooong time, and remembered how brilliant it is

IHN

Effing shonky forum.

Anyway, Train a’Comin by Steve Earle

Premier Icon The Pinkster
    Subscriber

Listened to New Boots & Panties the other day for the first time in decades. Forgotten just how good it is.

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber

I especially like this song on LRD’s Darkdancer!

aweeshoe

I had that Loaded album! Bit of a blast from the past.
    I thought Bran Van 3000 showed loads of potential with this album but it was a hard act to follow

gauss1777

The lyric
    “Just because you’re better than me
    Doesn’t mean I’m lazy
    Just because you’re going forwards
    Doesn’t mean I’m going backwards”
    came to mind a couple of days ago.

Premier Icon fingerbang
    Subscriber

Good subject for a thread:

Hardest band names to Google

We
    Them
    The the
    South
    The music
    The sound
    Vietnam (remember ‘welcome to my room’ from earthed 5- this is a mountain bike website after all)
    Stupid c_nt

razorrazoo

I had that Loaded album too, a lot of the albums those singles come off I went out and bought and are great to go back to:

Sugar – Copper Blue
    Lemonheads – It’s a Shame About Ray
    Therapy? (I thinks it’s on some foreign release album)
    Radiohead – Pablo Honey
    Suede – Suede
    etc

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Stupid c_nt

Unaware of these fellas then
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/276341

(don’t click if offended by rude words 😀 )

Premier Icon teethgrinder
    Subscriber

The OP album is what got me into Belly’s first album Star. Borrowed in on CD from the local library and promptly copied it to tape. Been trying to find a track list of it for years with no success.

Distinctly remember going to see Belly at Newcastle Uni in 95 just after the second album came out – loved it. Then last night just found they released a third album in 2018.

A. Or Live.

nicko74

The Bees – kinda in a similar time/ space to the Zutons

sofaking

good thread and it reminded me that driving along the other day i remembered this cd that i have somewhere.
    listening to it now

locum76

Fingerbang: were South on MoWax?

mariner

Anything by Cowboy Junkies.

fasthaggis

Good shout nicko ,this popped up on my playlist this morning.

Saw them live ,very talented musicians

Ah…indie compilations…from the OP. 😆

I realise compilations are a mortal sin – but I remember having a few copies of Shine compilations – some bought, some recorded from mates. Anybody remember those? Definitely helped me see, by way of introduction to Do You Remember The First Time that His ‘n’ Hers was better than Different Class, and introduced me to The Wannadies through Might Be Stars long before You And Me Song was ruined by the film. Happy days.

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Come back to this every so often, and it gets better every time. A proper ‘lost’ classic.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Ah…indie compilations…from the OP

I was putting my CDs back after decorating and this disc fell out, dunno where the box is –

Madchester

Make it bang, combinating with slang
    Manchester the dance capital of England 😀

eddiebaby

Dan Reed Network: Slam.

Oh wait. It wasn’t forgotten, just the opposite so nobody ever went there again.

Re discovered one of my The Dickies (The Punk Singles) at the weekend.

Still love these guys. I heard their version of Paranoid long before I knew it was a cover version. When I eventually heard the Black Sabbath version, I thought it was awful in comparison.

As a result of these guys my interest in ‘current’ rock music scene is restricted to The Hives and The Datsuns. I find much else a bit self indulgent.

EDIT – there should be a link at the top of this post but it disappears once I post.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

my interest in ‘current’ rock music scene is restricted to The Hives and The Datsuns. I find much else a bit self indulgent

You mean you haven’t been arsed to look for anything since 2000 😉

Yup, probably about right.

First love is Electro / Hip Hop and its influences (Funk and Soul etc). When I fancy something a bit more raucous, these still do it for me plenty.

trumpton

My bloody Valentine – Loveless. Very good cd from the 1990’s indie scene. The full album is on youtube now too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.