Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Forgive me, non boost Pike 29″, Minion DHF WT, 25mm rim. Pro/cons?🤔
  • Poopscoop

Pikes a 2016/17 29er, non boost as above.

Rims are only 25mm internal.

Currently running the “standard” size Minion DHF.

Anyone done similar, worth the change?

Any info appreciated as always guys.

chiefgrooveguru

Yes, all the same apart from 27.5” and it fits fine though there isn’t a ton of mud clearance with one of those bent flat plastic mudguards. It does need leaning enough to engage the side knobs on the 25mm rim.

I haven’t used the smaller DHF but I suspect the 2.5WT is a good choice if you want more grip and better abilities in mud/loose conditions (the knobs are bigger and more widely spaced).

I’m in the small minority that’s not the biggest fan of the DHF because I’m happy to sacrifice some rolling speed and turning grip on harder trails for more braking grip full-stop and turning grip in loose ground – I like a front tyre that feels like you’ve dropped anchor when you haul on the brakes. I’ve got a Magic Mary 2.35 on there now (which is about the same size).

mjsmke

I have the standard 2.3 DHF on a 25mm rim and the 2.5 WT on a 30mm rim.

I had a 2.3 on the 30mm rim first and it didn’t feel as good as on the narrower rim. Not tried the wider tire on the narrower rim but I dont think it would work as well. The 2.3 on a 25mm rim feels great and a little faster than the wider tire.

BillOddie

Firstly, the 2.5 WT version really does need a 30mm to get the profile right IMHO. Rolls too much on narrower.

I also have a 29er non-boost pike of that era.

25mm rim (old stans flow) + 2.3 minion DHF = loads of room.

25mm rim + 2.5 minion DHF (not WT) = bit less room but no dramas bit rolly

30mm + 2.5 minion DHF WT = Brilliant ! But less room again and some mudguards won’t work.  The RRP Enduroguard works fine, but a the Muckynuts full face fender wouldn’t.

As an aside I found non-WT minion SS 2.3 to flatten out too much on 30mm rims, you ended up riding on the side lugs too much, a 2.3 minion dhf was fine as you have the centre lugs too. So I ran a 30mm im upfront and 25mm out back, which worked well.

Poopscoop

Cheers for all the info guys! Much appreciated.

@BillOddie

2.5 minion DHF (not WT)

Bear with my stupidity here mate.lol I assumed the 2.5 was inherently a WT? Is that not the case then?

BillOddie

They used to do a 2.5 non-WT. I don’t think they make them anymore. The side lugs are further up the sidewall as it was designed around a 25mm rim back when that was was “wide”.

Poopscoop

Ah, I see mate, cheers!

Might take a punt on the 2.5at. I’m sure I can sell it on if it’s a bit too much for the 25mm rims…

breadcrumb

I have the same year of Pike, 25mm rims and DHR 2.4 WT, no issues. I don’t even notice the tyre, which is exactly what I want from a tyre!

Poopscoop

Blimey, they did a lot of widths don’t they! Not even noticed the 2.4.lol

Can’t be much wider than the 2.3 I already have though?

chiefgrooveguru

That’s the DHR2 that’s a 2.3 or a 2.4” – and although they sound so close in size that they must be near identical, the 2.4 is a big knobbly thing like the DHF 2.5 but with a bit less air volume and a slightly squarer profile, which I felt worked a lot better on a 25mm rim.

And the best thing about it is that the side blocks are like the DHF’s so it corners well but it also has big braking blocks down the centre, which have massive stopping power. It’s a great front tyre. Also great on the back for gnarlier riding but I go for the 2.3 version for the rear because it rolls a lot faster and isn’t short of grip.

Poopscoop

Thanks Chief!

I’ll probably stick with the DHF I think in 2.5 and see good I get on.

breadcrumb

Yeah I’m running the DHR2 in 2.3 on the rear, never felt under-tyred.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Forgive me, non boost Pike 29″, Minion DHF WT, 25mm rim. Pro/cons?🤔’ is closed to new replies.