Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Forget lock on's….
  • monkeyboyjc

ESI is where its at….

After reading a few rave reviews and hearing about the hype around them at sea otter i bought a set of ESI racers edge a couple of weeks back as the ones that came my new canyon were very cheap uncomfy rubber jobs. They turned up yesterday (imported from US as it was a few quid cheaper than UK) installed with a bit of alcohol – your better off using 70% rubbing alcohol, but i only had 100% proof so had to do it really quick.
    1st ride today and they are amazing! really grippy when needed, super comfy compaired to the stock old school slip on ones that came with the Canyon and for non lock on grips, super firm to the bars – not a bit of slipage……

If you need/want a new set of grips – these are great (only have slight reservations about them in a crash – lock on’s protect the bar end alot better). They also come in a funky range of colours – but i went for black as i’m dull.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Been eyeing some of these up for a while. I think ESI would sell a whole lot more (= make more profit) if they sorted out pricing and availability in the UK.

mamadirt
    Free Member
    monkeyboyjc

they are avalible in the UK – its just a little cheaper through US ebay, (with two week delivery time).

I have to say they are great and you wont regret it – but use rubbing alcohol, window cleaner, compressed air to install as i only just got mine on with isopropal as it evaporated a little too quickly (the last 1/2 inch was done with a fair bit of a wrestle).

Northwind

Any good tricks for getting them back off?

In a similiar vein, I like the Renthal ones- I’d fully expected them to slip around but they stay almost perfectly in place. Mind you I’m not a bar-wringer.

MussEd
    Free Member

Got mine off Charlie…LIKE!

vorlich
    Free Member

You haven’t really explained why they’re better than lock-ons? Weight?

tazzymtb

got them on all my bikes, my LBS sells them. Winner

nickjb
    Free Member

You haven’t really explained why they’re better than lock-ons?

I was wondering that. They sound as much of a faff as old school grips and hairspray/wd40/etc.

monkeyboyjc

You haven’t really explained why they’re better than lock-ons? Weight?

approx half the weight = 50g for the pair… but its the silicon compound it the winner for me, ‘normal’ grips use a rubber that isnt really that grippy, these are a whole lot better.

Any good tricks for getting them back off?

not had to get them off again yet (only been on for 24hrs), but i was going to use some alcohol hand gel – squeeze a few blobs under and see how it goes….

bawbag
    Free Member

Agreed they are very comfortable but they do get slippy. I misjudged a puddle (to the hilarity of my mates) and went over the bars only avoiding a dunking by putting my hand wrist deep in mud. After that my glove wouldn’t grip on the smooth surface the same as the Rogue’s I had on previously.

Other than that though they were very good.

allthepies
    Free Member

So lockons are a doddle to get off and these may come off with some chemicals but might not…..

Mmmmkay…

skywalker
    Free Member

Not as good as decent lock-ons then, except saving a measly 50g.

smiff
    Free Member

maybe nice for racing, but i like the shape of my ergons.. there’s a lot of different lockon grips out there, hard to generalise.
    if they made this material as a lockon, maybe i’d try it 🙂 no way i’m going back to that hassle.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmmm…they sounds like regular non lock on grips?

monkeyboyjc

Not as good as decent lock-ons then, except saving a measly 50g.

and providing better grip – which is a grips primary purpose – not how you get it on and off the bar.
    with most stems, brakes and some shifters haveing a clamp on stystem now days, having to remove grips is a rare thing, maybe once a year? – well it is for me anyway.
    dont get me wrong – for a DH or all mountain bike they may not be for you, but for long xc rides they seem very comfortable and grippy.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

OP — where do you get rubbing alcohol? I’m an American living in these parts, can’t ever find it. . . got some alcohol -y antiseptic wipes but they’re crap

somouk
    Free Member

Had mine for some time and they are indeed excellent long lasting comfy grips!

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I’ve tried loads of grips over the years but always ended up going back to ruffians. Saying that, the day Renthal make a kevlar lockon is the day all other grips will be instantly obsolete 🙂

monkeyboyjc

OP — where do you get rubbing alcohol? I’m an American living in these parts, can’t ever find it. . . got some alcohol -y antiseptic wipes but they’re crap

most chemist’s (phamacy’s) sell it in the uk (or ebay)…

nathaneddy
    Free Member

thanks, will keep looking. . .

GW
    Free Member

don’t think I’ll be forgetting about Lock-on’s anytime soon. best product you can fit to a bike IMO.

ESI grips are not more grippy than lock-ons, but even if they were more grip’s not a lot of use when they spin on the bars.

monkeyboyjc

ESI grips are not more grippy than lock-ons, but even if they were more grip’s not a lot of use when they spin on the bars.

have you tried them?

Tom83

I take mine off by using a wooden kebab skewer to get under them, pour a little bit of water down the gap, grab a tea towel and twist. Always put them on with water too, best grips I’ve had.

skywalker
    Free Member

and providing better grip – which is a grips primary purpose – not how you get it on and off the bar.

Ahhh, because lock-ons aren’t grippy.

with most stems, brakes and some shifters haveing a clamp on stystem now days, having to remove grips is a rare thing, maybe once a year?

All Shimano shifters need to be slid off the bars don’t they?

tony24
    Free Member

If you have not tried them dont slate them they are the best grip i have ever used. I had lizard skin peaty before an i would take these any day.

On long rides you get no hand numbness and you have no end cap for your hand to lean on when you hold the edge of the bars. Once installed and dried these do not spin rode in wales in 2 days inconstant rain around afan and they did not move once.

Worth every penny imo.

RustySpanner

GW – Member

don’t think I’ll be forgetting about Lock-on’s anytime soon.

Why, can’t you fit ordinary grips properly? 🙂

best product you can fit to a bike IMO.

Better than disc brakes or suspension forks?

Ritchey WCS foam grips are light, comfy, don’t slip and just peel off when worn.

Lock ons are a solution in search of a problem, IMO – unecessary complication and a total waste of cash, unless you’re a journo who changes your bars every week.

GW
    Free Member

Monkey – Yes, I’ve tried them, have you? seeing as you’re giving them a rather glowing review having only just fitted the things – plenty of fashion whores I know use them.

Spanner –

Yes, it’s not exactly difficult.

Yes, far better than brakes or suspension forks

foam grips do slip

Lock-on’s solve the problem* they set out to fix perfectly.

* for the hard of understanding, that’s ordinary grips moving under hard use and poor weather conditions.

RustySpanner

GW – Member

Yes, far better than brakes or suspension forks
    Ok. Your views differ from mine, that’s fine.

foam grips do slip

Mine don’t.

Lock-on’s solve the problem* they set out to fix perfectly.

* for the hard of understanding, that’s ordinary grips moving under hard use and poor weather conditions.
    Like I say, I’ve never, ever suffered from Ritchey foam grips slipping, even on big days out in bad conditions.
    Are you sure you know how to fit them properly? 😀

Oh, and you haven’t said whether you’ve ever tried Ritchey foam grips or ESI’s.
    Well, have you?

monkeyboyjc

Ahhh, because lock-ons aren’t grippy.

after 20+ years of riding, not had a better set of grips – only thing that comes close in comfort is a set of old school AME mountain grips i had back in 1996ish, but like all rubber non lock on grips they slid about when wet and required wireing on for best use. ESI’s are silicon and as such dont/shouldnt have the same issues as rubber grips.

All Shimano shifters need to be slid off the bars don’t they?

yes – but how often do you need to do that!

Yes, I’ve tried them, have you? seeing as you’re giving them a rather glowing review having only just fitted the things – plenty of fashion whores I know use them.

Sheesh, no reason to get so worked up. True – only had one ride so far, but they were good enough for me to come on here and recomend them. They may not be to everyones taste, yes lock ons dont budge (when fitted corectly), but i’ve always had issue with comfort with them – the rubber is generally thiner as the plastic sleeve is bonded to takes up room. I’ve tried thicker lock ons, but i’ve small hands (hense going for racers edge over the thicker version). I very sorry for poo pooing lock on grips, however there is an alternative and its good just for a different reason. its an opinion thats all.

momo

I haven’t tried the esi grips, but I have recently switched to renthal kevlars. I like thin grips, and have always struggled to find thin lock on grips which don’t make my hands numb after a couple of hours, the renthals are perfect, nice and squishy, yet still nice and thin, the downside is that they are a far to fit. I won’t be going back to lock ones any time soon though.

skywalker
    Free Member

Foam grips! No wonder you think these “grippy” grips are a revelation.

Why the **** would you want foam grips?

RustySpanner

Because they’re comfy, cheap, light, simple and grippy.
    Pretty much perfect really.

I’ve never tried ESI’s, nor have I claimed to.

GW
    Free Member

One ride in 2 weeks? and you feel the need to tell others to forget Lock-on’s?

Rusty – yes, tried both many times, infact I’ve had a shot of both in the last month.

grips aren’t for comfort, they’re for control.

RustySpanner

Rusty – yes, tried both many times, infact I’ve had a shot of both in the last month.

How did you fit them?
    Did they slip?

grips aren’t for comfort, they’re for control.

Sorry you’re really going to have to justify that one.

If your’re grips don’t move and offer sufficient grip, then you will have the same amount of control in the short term whatever they’re made of.
    In the longer term, the comfier grips will be less noticeable, less distracting and therefore give you MORE control.

Comfier grips will give you more control, as they leave you free to concentrate on what you’re doing, rather than how much your hands hurt.

loddrik
    Free Member

They’re grips, they won’t change the way you ride and they won’t help you change the world…

RustySpanner

Comfy grips (and a comfy saddle, clothing and riding position) means you’re more likely to ride your bike more.

Comfort is very underrated. 😀

GW
    Free Member

no it doesn’t! it does mean you’ll be more likely to sit down while you ride tho. be careful you don’t get too comfy you may fall asleep. 😉

monkeyboyjc

GW – no ones forcing you to use them, its just a recomendation. You obivously dont have a problem with the grips your currently uising, so i’d stick with lock ons you’ve got if i were you. You say you’ve tried ESI’s and not got on with them, thats fine, but there are plenty of others on here who have also tried them and think that they are great. All contact areas are a personal thing.
    On a ride of any length of time (longer than a standard UK 2min DH run) – grips that are comfortable are important. As said previously, comfortable grips provide less fatigue and a better riding experiance.

Wally

ESI grips on all bikes – awesome.

Remove with GT85 and screwdriver to lift and squirt underneath.

Install with a light squirt of Picture Mount Adhesive.
    I have removed and reinstalled many times – they really last well and never rotate.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Forget lock on's….’ is closed to new replies.