Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Forest of Dean
  • ready

Mrs Ready is spending Saturday at FOD with some friends, and I’m tagging along but will be doing my own thing. Whilst I’m quite happy to do the Blue and Red loops, I think I’d rather do some of the Off Piste (if there is any of course…)
    How easy is it to find? Is there anything I should be aware of, apart from the Boars?

Northwind

The easiest option if you want something more than the red would be to ride the sallowvallets downhill stuff- super easy to find and navigate and there’s even a map. (well… It’s a little tricky to find the exact trail you want, sometimes. But it’s easy to find trails)

Akers

Had my own first visit last week. Blue is not worth the effort IMO. Red Freeminers trail is OK, the downhills trails are good. If there is space available I’d book the uplift to get the most out of it. Trailforks app has a lot of the off piste stuff on there but there is some good stuff that isn’t on there either. If you explore south of the downhill trails you’ll find plenty.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Just around the cycle centre? There is a FOD enduro trail…

FOD Map

Going slightly further afield there is loads of off-piste but local knowledge needed.

tetrode
    Free Member

There’s a Canyon demo weekend on at FoD this weekend so it’ll be a lot busier than usual at the cycle centre just so you know!

ready

I haven’t been for a few years but seem to remember enjoying the blue more than the red? I’ll be giving the downhills a blast too, can you still PAYG? or is it all prebook?

Bushwacked – That looks good, do you know how long it is? And is it signposted?

tetrode – I was aware of that, but only after I’d booked the AirB&B…

Thanks for the replies!

PrinceJohn

Love the blue at the Forest of Dean – not so much the red.

If you use the push up track there are plenty of DH runs off there or you can just do the best bits of the blue.

joebristol

I think I prefer the red to the blue at FOD. I’d be tempted to do a lap of the red then do a load of the downhill trails by cycling up the fireroad then just diving off it near the top down various trails. I do need to explore the offpiste stuff all round the area but I think having someone with local knowledge would make for a better day.

impatientbull

When I’m looking to explore a new area I find cross referencing the Strava heatmap with a normal map is the easiest way to find out where off piste trails are. This will work well in FoD.

Does anyone know how the trails are running after the recent rain?

P-Jay
    Free Member

The blue is cool, it’s as hard or easy as you want to make it with the proper application of speed, Enjoy the red too.

Some great DH tracks there.

Last time I went I rode, skills park – blue to the bottom of the push-up path, 2 runs on launch pad (upper and lower) and then into the final loop of the red.

meatsupreme
    Free Member

If you get bored with the main trail centre DH stuff or it’s too busy ask for directions to Worcester lodge , it’s right next door to the main trail centre and has at least 4 really good descents. (Y2K, Elephant man, Vape and the left fork off Vape that I don’t think has a name yet)

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Just use trailforks. There are other areas, some of which are only 15 minutes ride away which are much better riding 🙂

russyh
    Free Member

Trail forks only works when you have signal and FOD ain’t great for that!!

IdleJon

Yes. I like that the parking machines will take cash or you can phone and pay, but no card. There’s barely any phone signal, so cash only then. One kind man offered to pay for my parking a few months ago. (Just as I found a tree to climb that gave me signal..)

ready

Quick Update: Mrs Ready went off to do her thing, whilst I did the 2 loops and had a play on the DH runs and the new to me skills area – which was excellent. Well thought out, and perfect to build up confidence.
    Despite the Canyon demo day (the carpark was rammed). There was also the Mini Fodders (cute!), and the Ladies group but the trails weren’t busy at all. Friendly staff, decent food, and an excellent vibe about the place. Whoever is in charge and has led the turnaround all need pats on the back, because the last time I visited it was a bit…….. tired.
    As you can tell I was impressed, and can’t wait to go back again soon!

pjm60
    Free Member

Just download the area and no signal needed!

CheesybeanZ

Ready, if you want a guide next time I’m sure myself or one of the other Fod regulars would happily show you some of the off piste trails.

jimster01

We’re going down there today, for the first time in three years or so, really looking forward to it. Will probably just do the verderers trail as I’m on my rigid single speed.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

ooo How long has the FOD enduro trail been open?
    Also is it signposted and what sort of distance is it?
    Take it be good singletrack etc.
    Feel a trip to FOD is needed!

russyh
    Free Member

It’s been there for bloody years! It’s not Enduro in the modern sense it’s the old Enduro XC look. Parts of it are now included in freeminers. Nice little loop but can’t remember it ever being sign posted albeit it was on an old map.

jimster01

Pretty sure the enduro loop isn’t signposted, looking at the map in the cafe it’s shown as a proposed extension.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Forest of Dean’ is closed to new replies.