• This topic has 23 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by jeffl.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Forerunner 255S or Fenix 6S Pro
  • Kip

Morning…
    I’m looking at getting one or the other for running and general exercise (I have a computer for the bike) but want to know if:

1. I’ll get hacked off not having full maps for routes (pre planned runs in unfamiliar areas) if I buy the FR255.
    2. The breadcrumb and turn by turn routing works well as a navigation aid (again, in unfamiliar places with pre-planned routes).
    3. The size/weight will be uncomfortable if I buy the F6S Pro (my wrist diameter is 147mm).
    4. The HR and GPS just isn’t as good on the F6S Pro.

I’ve done shed loads of research and read/watched/given up large parts of my life to DC Rainmaker’s reviews si know it’s a toss up between these.
    I need the longer battery life as I’m planning on some long events over the year so the Venu/Vivo/others are out.
    I’m not made of money so the Fenix 7 or FR945 are out.

Surely there’s some people here who have experience of both can give some advice.

mrsheen
    Free Member

Fenix owner – I’ve found the maps really good if I’m not following a loaded route and I’ve used the return to start a few times when out in wilds. The points of interest function is handy too. I don’t find it heavy and have thinnish wrists.

Flaperon

I have a Fenix 6 Pro and ladylike wrists. It’s fine for running, but you do know that it’s a chunky watch. The 6S felt too small / tight for me, which I didn’t expect. Maps are exceptionally useful when running in a new area, but you’ll have to get used to adding your own if you go abroad.

For what it’s worth you can’t rely on either for heart rate when running, as in anything other than perfect conditions the HRM will latch onto cadence. The 245 will be marginally better, I think, because it’s lighter.

Turn by turn doesn’t work properly on a Garmin watch unless the turn cues are embedded in the course. It can do it, but it takes so long to calculate it’s not worth it. Navigation to a waypoint with turn-by-turn is OK though.

The Forerunner 945 came out at the same time as the Fenix 6, and is basically the same thing but in a plastic case. Did you mean waiting for the 965? That’s a 955 with an AMOLED screen like the Epix. There used to be some software differences between the two but I think Garmin has merged the teams now.

If I was buying again for myself I’d try to grab a 945 while they’re cheap(ish).

nickjb
    Free Member

+1 for not finding the 6s heavy. It’s a lot smaller than the 6 and the 6x. Does make the maps a bit hard to read with old eyes but the maps are useful. The GPS on the 6s is super precise, probably more than is really needed.

cookeaa

I’ve Not used either, but on the breadcrumb mapping thing I have occasionally tried it on other Garmin watches.

It kinda works as in the watch alerts you to going off course, and if you check it whenever a fork comes up you tend to stay on course, but without the context of a map you can end up blindly following a line on a dinky screen and that in itself sort of ruins the flow of a run for me.

scotroutes

For what it’s worth you can’t rely on either for heart rate when running, as in anything other than perfect conditions the HRM will latch onto cadence

Not my experience with the 6 at all. And believe me, I’d know as the two statistics are quite far apart in my case 😂

Kip

How does it latch onto cadence? I don’t use a foot pod (I accept I may have missed that in the reviews). I’ll also probably use a chest strap still as I find them more accurate for the most part.

It’s mapping that’s my biggest concern for sure.

I use an edge 810 with OS mapping for riding and that is faultless for turn by turn so don’t want to feel I’m constantly comparing the two.

The FR94x range are out regardless as they are too big and will overhang my tiny wrists. I did know that but forgot that was the other reason I’d discounted them.

austy
    Free Member

I have a Garmin edge 810 with OS maps and a fenix 6 pro solar.

Love them both but the edge is showing its age a bit now.

With regards to the mapping took both to ride in the peaks and couldn’t get it in the edge, so used the fenix and it worked great with turn by turn on the maps. Took a paper map too as I was from out the area, and I love maps.

Used the fenix for a bit of running and felt the HR was quite accurate and also later used a Garmin HRM strap too.

The amount of info it can provide is astounding, from stride length, stride cadence to the breathing rate.

I wouldn’t say I have large wrists and the size is perfect for me and the screen size is great for quite a few data fields on it and mapping.

Flaperon

How does it latch onto cadence? I don’t use a foot pod (I accept I may have missed that in the reviews). I’ll also probably use a chest strap still as I find them more accurate for the most part.

It’s looking for a pattern in light absorption/reflection in the flesh under the sensor. This happens with each heartbeat, but you can also get a similar pattern when you run. The watch doesn’t know which, and in cold weather in particular when blood is diverted from the skin, it picks whatever seems about right.

Might be better if you have a high heart rate / low cadence, but it’s the other way around for me. I do use an optical sensor for running (Polar OH1), but around my forearm and it’s correct 99% of the time. For day-to-day tracking it’s absolutely spot on.

Navigation will be easier with the Fenix compared to the Edge 810, even with the smaller screen, because it uses the magnetic compass to orient the map.

Flaperon

The FR94x range are out regardless as they are too big and will overhang my tiny wrists.

The FR945 and FR255 are almost identical sizes (1.4mm different).

alpin
    Free Member

Have the F6s Pro Solar. First smartwatch, so can’t really compare to anything else.

Having said that….
    It’s a smaller than the standard F6, but the screen isn’t much smaller. Most of the bulk of the F6 is the bezel.

Heart rate monitor seems to work.

Altitude function can sometimes be way off.

The barometer triggered “Storm Warning” often pings at the bottom of a long descent.

The steps function I’m not so sure about. Went for a 16km hike the other day with 550m of elevation up and down and it only recorded 22,000 steps. Yesterday it recorded 12,000 despite just pottering around.

The solar adds approx another day to a full charge. Having said that it’s still a little too chilly for full on shorts and t-shirt weather despite being in Spain. I expect the solar thingy will improve as it warms up. Although it’ll charge from almost 0% to 100% in 30 mins. Not sure I would bother with the solar aspect again.

Battery life takes a dive if using the GPS /tracking. Although it is very accurate. More so than my S21 phone.

Loads of other functions I’ve not used nor played with.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ve never used watch for navigation, just get my phone out if needed so can’t comment on that.

The 255 wrist HRM is streets ahead of previous models, I find it really works well, very occasional glitches. I really like mine overall as a running/cycling watch. Great battery life too. Connectivity, smart features etc are all a nice step up from 245.

Kip

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it. There’s so much both watches can do I’m really torn and suspect it will come down to which I can get at a price I can afford (it’ll have to be second hand regardless).

If I find the mapping on the 255S annoying then I’ll probably sell and upgrade to the F6S Pro or maybe even an F7S if prices have dropped enough.

My pal has just bought an F6S Pro so will get a chance to try one on later in the week which I think will really help.

Oh, and the 255S is 41mm, enough smaller to make a difference, but the 945 and 955 don’t come in an S spec.

ta11pau1

FYI the forerunner 265 and 965 are due to be released very soon if all the leaks are correct.

AMOLED screen amongst other improvements.

Kip

Hmmm, but will the price of the 255S drop considerably? Oh for a crystal ball!

Anyone here know the retailer markup on Garmin watches?

mogrim

Breadcrumb navigation is fine if you’re in an area without too many forks in the trail. When it forks keep an eye on the watch, and be prepared to do a 100m backtrack to get back on track.

I had a Fenix 5 and while it was a big watch, you soon get used to it. I’ve got an Instinct 2 now and it’s smaller – which is a pain as my aging eyes can’t always make out the screen 🙁

Having said that it’s still a little too chilly for full on shorts and t-shirt weather despite being in Spain.

Lol, what were you expecting? We have minimum -3 and max 6 here today, and there’s a ski resort just up the road…

andrewhbws
    Free Member

Got both here in the household. Fenix 6S Pro wins for the mapping.

alpin
    Free Member

Lol, what were you expecting? We have minimum -3 and max 6 here today, and there’s a ski resort just up the road…

In the hills to the west of Valencia city….. 15°C during the day… -5°C at night.

I’m heading further south.

Although last week was much warmer.

neila

Or my 245 Music in the Classifieds 😉

Kip

In case anyone cares, I went for a new Fenix 6S Pro Solar as the price was reduced enough to make it worth the extra for the guarantee (I hope that makes sense).

I love it! I got used to the size and weight really quickly and wear it day and night (to get my HRV stats at the moment). So glad I went for the mapping too as it makes for easy viewing when following a route.

All in all very happy with it.

boblo
    Free Member

Now buy the 255 just for running, it’s much more comfortable.

I use its earlier cousin the 245 for running and a 6x pro for general knocking about.

The 245 is A1 but I use a strap for HRM and rarely nav by it. When I’ve used the breadcrumb trail with a pucka GPX file, it’s been fine but I’ve always had a paper map as back up.

The 6x is good for nav with a GPX and reasonably good whilst skiing, more for stats than nav but it’s a big old beast. If I use it running, I use a strap as I don’t find the onboard measurements accurate or responsive enough on either watch.

Kip

That’s interesting about the responsiveness. I always used a HRM strap when running or riding but when I first got this I did a comparison of the Fenix v s Strava on my phone. They were within a beat of each other pretty much throughout.

If I really want accurate readings I’ll pair the strap with the Fenix andxaee how it goes, but I’m happy with what I’m gettin gat the moment.

As for the size, the S is waaaay smaller than the X and I really am surprised at how quickly I got used to it and rarely notice it now.

I did get a screen protector though as I wear it on my right wrist and have been close to knocking it on things as I’m also right handed!

butcher

I have a Fenix 6x. It’s heavy but you get used to it. HR isn’t responsive at all in my experience, it’ll usually get up to a relatively accurate measurement eventually but not always – it’s not something I would rely on. I also notice the GPS seems to drop out under tree cover, or at least my pace will show as slowing, then it compensates with a higher pace when I come out into the open again. Despite the imperfections it’s a really good bit of kit. I upgraded from an Instinct and its way better in every way, aside from the weight.

jeffl

Just to add to the thread, I had a Vivoactive 3 for a few years but upgraded to the Fenix 6 Pro Solar when it was on offer at John Lewis a couple of weeks back.

Soon got used to the size and extra weight, it’s really not a big deal and I have thin wrists. Did some interval training and the HRM is accurate enough for my needs so I’m happy.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.