Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Forefoot running – wtf is that all about then?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What’s with the fashion of forefoot running all of a sudden?

Anyone care to give the benefits of it?

druidh
    Free Member

Pose Mode??

Been thinking about it for a while as I have heel issues which prevent me from running at all.

http://www.posetech.com/library/dr-02-05-007.html

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

I’ve seen this mentioned by several magazines recently. I’ve yet to see much convincing evidence that it’s more than just a fad but from what I hear it’s supposed to stop you getting shin-splints and make you a more efficient runner as your calf is always ‘tense’ which gives you more natural ‘spring’.

I’ve tried doing a few running drills with it and it seems to do something…whether or not it’s a good thing remains to be seen!

kudos100
    Free Member

Try running down the road barefoot on your heels and see how far you get 😉

Cushioned running shoes were invented by Nike in the 70’s to sell more shoes. Before that no-one ran with a heel strike. Modern cushioned shoes have done nothing to prevent running injuries, if anything they have made the situation worse.

Running with a forefoot or midfoot strike is the natural way to run and is how the body is designed to function.

Here is some reading if you are interested: http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Kudos – “FUNDING DISCLAIMER: Research presented on this site was funded by Harvard University and, in part, by Vibram USA®.” There’s the problem with that research right there.

kudos100
    Free Member

Regardless of who it was funded by, try my experiment and see how far you get. Your heel is bone, no cushioning whatsoever. The ball and the arch are the foots natural cushioning mechanism.

Cushioned running shoes have been around for about 40 years, human’s have been on the earth for what, about 200’000 years? Seems strange that cushioned running shoes have done nothing at all to prevent injuries (in some cases made them worse) and we were running fine without them for thousands of years.

IanMunro
    Free Member

When you need to run in zoo to deck a potential kiddy fidler, you can get there disturbing less dust.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

IanMunro – eh?

mustard
    Free Member

SBZ – try this http://www.williamsichel.co.uk/documents/Running_Fast_and_Injury_Free.pdf

It’s an interesting read and he’s got a bit of pedigree in the sport. If nothing else it’ll while away a bit of time while you heal.

I’m giving it a go as I get pretty bad shinsplints. I’ve entered The Mighty Deerstalker and my mate (10 years my senior) won’t let me live it down if he beats me again!

lookmanohands
    Free Member

kudos100…..ah someone talking sense for once – am trying this barefoot thing at the mo, feels kinda nice not to be pounding the pavement. what have i got to loose? what have i got to gain..? never having to buy (and throw away) expensive running shoes ever again 😀

sc-xc

IanMunro – Member

When you need to run in zoo to deck a potential kiddy fidler, you can get there disturbing less dust.

lol

C’mon Smee..you have to admit that was quite funny

nicko74

I’ve seen people doing it, and it looks like it makes more sense and is less effort than my full-foot-roll gait. However, I’ve tried it and can’t get the hang of it.
    Plus, running marathons like that must give you epic cramp in your calves.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

IanMunro – Member

Is this an ‘in’ joke, or has Mr Munro been at the sherry again?

kudos100
    Free Member

kudos100…..ah someone talking sense for once – am trying this barefoot thing at the mo, feels kinda nice not to be pounding the pavement. what have i got to loose? what have i got to gain..? never having to buy (and throw away) expensive running shoes ever again

Yep running shoe companies say you should replace your shoes every 300-500 miles, I’ve heard of people putting 10’000 miles on a cheap pair of old school running shoes!

I tried the barefoot thing, but got frustrated as you have to go so slowly. Vibram and all the special minimialist shoes are nice but too expensive for my liking. I run in ten quid aqua socks 😀 At the moment I keep getting IT band problems so have been focusing on mtb’ing.

kudos100
    Free Member

It’s an interesting read and he’s got a bit of pedigree in the sport. If nothing else it’ll while away a bit of time while you heal.

Great book Mustard, it was one of the first ones I read when I started getting interested in running 🙂

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Yep running shoe companies say you should replace your shoes every 300-500 miles, I’ve heard of people putting 10’000 miles on a cheap pair of old school running shoes!

I tried the barefoot thing, but got frustrated as you have to go so slowly. Vibram and all the special minimialist shoes are nice but too expensive for my liking. I run in ten quid aqua socks At the moment I keep getting IT band problems so have been focusing on mtb’ing.

Tell me about it, ive gone from 20 mpw down to 2-3 mpw. got some vff’s but over did it so i’m going bf all the way.

kudos100
    Free Member

Tell me about it, ive gone from 20 mpw down to 2-3 mpw. got some vff’s but over did it so i’m going bf all the way.

I may well be joining you, seems like it is the only way I can build up slowly and not injure myself. It was really strange going out for a barefoot run for the first time!

lookmanohands
    Free Member

one word….COLD! 😯

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

human’s have been on the earth for what, about 200’000 years?

more like 2 million as recognisable humans, ~ about 4.6Ma as hominids.

kudos100
    Free Member

It was cold when I started in summer! Christ knows what it is going to be like now 😯

A large dose of MTFU to go for a short run in winter I reckon 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Well it was like this last winter 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Forefoot running – wtf is that all about then?’ is closed to new replies.