Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ford S-Max owners….
  • adi66
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting a new family wagon, it’s got to be a decent looker (no seat altaer XM or VW sharan then lol) and the smax is the only one I like.

So

What are they like to own ? Do they chew tyres ? Etc

I’m looking at a titanium x sport with either a 2ltr Eco boost 240bhp petrol engine or a 2.2ltr 197bhp diesel engine

If you own one, what are they like or real wold driving?
    ( I ride my bike everywhere, and the Mrs has the car, for a commute through town and the school run)

Burger

Hi – I think you will find most of your questions answered here.
    I posted on that topic as an owner and still have the S-Max, now up to 65k miles.
    In brief, decent to drive on the open road, but big and a bit cumbersome in car parks. Plenty of room inside. Can present you with a big bill (£1k +) for the dual mass flywheel, but this is true for many cars nowadays. I’d imagine the engine choices you are looking at could end up chewing through tyres at a rate that will please your local Kwik-Fit.
    Post back with specific questions.

phlemo

I have the 2.2 TDCI titanium. Great car. Can chew tyres if the geometry gets knocked out slightly and with the car using run-flats replacements are £200 a corner. Generally seem to get around 15K from tyres though which for such a big car isn’t bad. Economy from the 2.2 is okay on long runs but will be low 30’s around town and for short trips. Family tour of France last year with roof box we got 40mpg. That said our car is the 2008 model and not the newer 2010 models with better economy!

Car is nice to drive and easy to use and live with. I’m looking at changing ours this year for a 2.0 tdci with the newer engine.

midlifecrashes

2.0 TDCI Zetec here, it’s a good car. Like Burger says, great for the open road, need to pick your spaces in the car parks. Mrsmidlife pranged ours, despite the sensors (side wheel arch, fencepost in car park). Not great in snow with normal tyres, but better than low profiled BMWs. Mine is due it’s first set of tyres at 17000 (still tread but feel them going off). Carried three big 1800mm radiators in the back the other day, could have squeezed a bit longer with front seats forwards

djflexure

We had one and it was good but changed to a Galaxy for more height in the boot. S max better to drive, Galaxy better for 3 kids, dog and all the kit that entails.

growinglad
    Free Member

Good comfy car. On long drives fuel is okay. Through town not great. I’d go for a 7 seater if you already have 3 kids. I’ve got a 2006 one with 5 speed box. It needs 6. Parking sensors come in very handy. I don’t have much choice on cars as I need 3 kids seats. But it’s not too bad a car to drive. Comes in its element on long runs. Drove from CH to UK and back at Christmas and arrived both times pretty fresh.

MoreCashThanDash

A friend has one, loves it, it’s great to drive.

We were a bit surprised that with the rear seats down the usable boot space in the S Max seemed a lot worse than our Octavia estate. If I was after a 7 seater, I’d get a Galaxy/Alhambra/Sharron – you can’t see how ugly they are once you are inside.

midlifecrashes

Srsly?

midlifecrashes

Octavia

DickBarton

We had a 2.0 TDCI Titanium…very good car but unless you ride a monkey bike or just want to carry one bike, you need to remove a lot of bits to get the bike in upright – the roof slopes considerably inside and the seat folding seems to rob the floor height of about 3″ – comparing it to the Vauxhall Zafira, the Zafira seems to drop the seats down so you don’t lose headroom, the S-Max folds into an enormous space but seems to then lose a bit of headroom height.

My wife’s Specialized FSR D4W bike would go in no probs with front wheel off – size small. I had to remove front wheel and saddle to get my Large Mount Vision (18.75″ frame) into it.

Very comfy to drive and seemed to be very reliable. As we got rid of it, the engine was doing something funny – driving along and it would suddenly cut out – happened to my wife several times but never to me.

Tyres seemed to be ok, had to replace all 4 in the 4 years of ownership but that was to be expected. It took about £90 diesel to fill to the top from empty and would get us around 700 miles on a tank.

The petrol version will be very thirsty…

We got rid as we didn’t need the size/space, but I’d seriously consider another as I really liked it.

Burger

And the two back seats in the S-Max can be unbolted in 5-10 minutes to create a 5 seater with a truly vast boot. Only done that for summer holiday trips to France to create a bit more space for wine & beers on the return leg.

angryratio
    Free Member

I use them all the time at work.
    The 2.0 140 diesel would be my pick if you are buying a later car.
    Avoid the daft titx sport with its wings and skirts, plus the larger wheels ruin the ride.
    Be sensible and go for a standard titanium model. Try find somewhere who has some pre reg, or ford direct stock.

iainc

I looked at them in great detail a few months ago as my company car gets replaced in march. I was looking at the 2.0 diesel with titanium spec. Really nice place to be in and a good drive. Unfortunately it came up a bit costly tax wise and I have gone for a 520d tourer which is marginally cheaper as a company car and a lot more space, especially in the boot.

MoreCashThanDash

I meant just the rear two seats folded, so yes, the S Max seemd to us to have less usable boot space in it’s normal 5 seat configuration.

DickBarton

It does have a massive boot in 5-seat mode…even bigger if you slide the rear seats forward…depends what you need to cart around in it I guess.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ford S-Max owners….’ is closed to new replies.