Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Ford Mustang coming to Europe at last…
  • bravohotel8er
    Free Member

http://www.clickondetroit.com/money/automotive/Ford-Mustang-finally-going-to-Europe/-/2318858/16510168/-/11ujij9z/-/index.html

Sure, the insurance will be £10K per annum and you’ll need to refuel daily, but anyone fancy trading in their Mondeo for one?

molgrips
    Free Member

Cool, now all the wannabee Americans can have RHD ones.

atlaz
    Free Member

Surely everyone who wants one got an LHD model then went bankrupt because of the fuel costs?

brakes
    Free Member

what a heap of crap

spw3

I hired one of these for five days in the States a couple years ago. It really surprised me. 30ish mile per (smaller American) gallon, super comfy cruiser. Might be a bit big for some UK streets but that hasn’t stopped lots of people buying other big cars. Wasn’t that fast either so maybe the insurance class wouldn’t be as high as expected?

molgrips
    Free Member

It really surprised me. 30ish mile per (smaller American) gallon,

There are lots of versions of it afaik. Some cheap ones for American wannabees who are actually American, and some for horsepower fetishists which are very very fast.

I would imagine the one you hired was the former 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Didnt Shelby do a version of it that was supercharged? GT500??

sam_underhill

There’s a black, rag top one I keep seeing around Godalming. In fact I ran past it last night, it sounds awesome. Looks like a cheap cr*p american car though.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I’ve had these as rentals a couple of times in the US and they’re not bad…..

Unless you do floor them the mpg isn’t bad. If you do floor them they make nice noises. And they’re not badly screwed together.

They’re cheap in the US too. The basic one (which is still good fun) is just over $20k.

The main problem, as said above, is they’re pretty big cars. And everyone will think you live in a caravan if you get seen driving one.

jota180
    Free Member

Have they still got leaf spring rear suspension?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

There is/was a V6 version. Mate had the V8 GT and it was a huge whale of a car. That said, it sounded awesome (was used by Milltek as the test bed for them to start knocking up Mustang exhausts…) and it flew (whilst the back end was sliding all over the place). Also had a luminous boot release handle in the boot in case someone got gangsta and locked you in it. Which I tried – it worked.

He owned it for about a year before it nearly consumed every penny he had – sold it and got a diesel Pug 306.

Did seem to be a very nice, well built car though. Whether theres a market in Europe at the moment for a V8 muscle car remains to be seen. Suspect most of the wannabe yanks who wanted one would have sucked it up and got a left hooker by now (or done the right thing and got a Camaro instead!).

molgrips
    Free Member

Also had a luminous boot release handle in the boot in case someone got gangsta and locked you in it

My Passat has one of those..

bigyinn
    Free Member

Doesnt make it cool by association tho molly. 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I love my Passat. I suspect the reasons are complex, as they are for anyone who loves their car.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I fully understand. Still miss my 1990 Mk 2 sierra ghia estate!

djglover
    Free Member

I love my Passat. I suspect the reasons are complex, as they are for anyone who loves their car.

Sorry, but how can you love a Passat.

It’s like loving a fridge.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s taken my family on many great adventures, it’s been a part of my life through all sorts of ups and downs – this makes me attached to it. As a car, it’s quiet, comfortable, and I enjoy driving it.

Life’s not all about driving thrills, not for everyone anyway 🙂

ojom
    Free Member

I love my left hooker 1990 CRV but i want a mustang. Just to leave a massive 11 up my street.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s like loving a fridge.

Superb!

jota180
    Free Member

If I had one [a Mustang, not a [strike]fridge[/strike] Passat] I’d park it upside down

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/01-2012-boss-302-underside.jpg

molgrips
    Free Member

Fridges don’t do anything fun.

Passats take you around the country, you get to see the woods, the countryside, the mountains, you get to go places and have fun. This is the nice association. Even when I drive down the M3 to work, I crest those hills and see the rolling woods all green or orange under a blue sky, and I feel happy as I purr along.

Yes it rolls a bit, but that also makes it comfortable. Depends which way round you look at things doesn’t it?

jota180
    Free Member

higgo
    Free Member

It’s like loving a fridge

I love my fridge.
    It looks after my cheese.

Taff
    Free Member

We had one out in America too as well as a Camaro, both flew and were surprisingly good on fuel. Just as good as a focus anyway. Build quality was about the same too really 🙄

jonahtonto
    Free Member

my ex’s bloke has one of these. kept up with him through the lanes in my sprinter but then he has the little engined one – the exhaust is like a pea shooter….all mouth and no trousers 😉 every sports car should have a solid rear axle surely 🙄

CountZero

The Camaro ZL-1 is pretty awesome for handling. It uses the latest gen magnetic fluid dampers, as well as being fully set up for European roads.
    From what I’ve read, the Camaro, at least, is a very well built car, it’s only the slightly cheap plastic on the interior that reveals the lower cost of the car. A 6.3 litre, supercharged V8, putting out 550hp for around £35k is pretty damned good.
    I love the way it looks, too:

benz
    Free Member

Hired one (well work did) when I was in California earlier this year. Was a pretty high spec one. However seemed a decent honest simple car.

Felt a bit of a coq parking up in work car park until expat mate pitched up in his Camaro. We stood out in comparison to the majority of jap cars and big pick ups.

Actually thought it was not that big and was great at getting off the line at lights. Sad but true….

Took a drive up Mt Diablo as it started raining…..oh Lordy! Switch the traction control off and it scared me at times.

Sounded good when you put the foot down!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mustang felt super cheap inside but then it was the model with baby 3.5v6

Everytime you gripped the auto lever to put it into d it felt like you were going to crush it.

The dodge charger we had the next trip was comfy as owt well built and coule seat 4 adults comfortably.

( plus it was red and had a confederate flag in the rear window)

TooTall
    Free Member

I had to laugh when they launched the new 2011 model in the US. Check the advert out for the crappiest subliminal messaging ever. You can tell these are different times when a classic muscle car is sold on mpg

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAX550biM7c[/video]

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Ford Mustang coming to Europe at last…’ is closed to new replies.