Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ford Kuga
  • mjsmke

Anyone own a Ford Kuga?

Can you fit a bike inside easily? Ideally upright with the front wheel off.

submarined
    Free Member

Yu, mk2. Deceptively small inside, focus platform.
    Might be able to fit in a road one with the wheel off, I had to take mine to bits (and got chain grease on the roof liner)

julians
    Free Member

yes you can, we have a 2018 kuga, and it fits my size large 160mm travel 29er ebike (orbea wild fs) in the boot ,upright with the front wheel off, back wheel on, dropper post in the dropped position.

we have the version of the kuga with the panoramic glass roof which lowers the head room by an inch or two as well – but it still fits fine.

mjsmke

Test drove one last weekend and quite liked it. (1.5 Petrol 150ps)

But what on earth is that horizontal slot at the top of the dash above the screen? Surely not a CD player?

boombang
    Free Member

Yes a CD player.

The 180bhp diesel is a far nicer drive than any of the petrols if you can find one. If it does tickle your fancy (think is auto only) then make sure you confirm which box it has as earlier ones are fragile if not service regularly.

We’ve had ours for over 3 years now, planned to swap it in the last 12 months but liked nothing we tried as much (XC40 especially, but other similar cars like Tiguan etc.)

jimdubleyou

But what on earth is that horizontal slot at the top of the dash above the screen? Surely not a CD player?

Our 8 year old model has a CD player (mk1) . It doesn’t fit either of my bikes (29er FS & HT) in it upright with one wheel on.

We’re getting a new one soon (the hybrid), so hopefully that will.

mjsmke

I’d need a petrol as do lots of 10 – 20 min journeys for work. Would only go for another automatic if it was a torque converter style. Lost all faith in dual clutch setups with their costly repairs.

Can the CD player be changed for anything else? I’ll never use it and will keep staring at it wondering why its on a car in 2018/2019.

the-muffin-man

Can the CD player be changed for anything else? I’ll never use it and will keep staring at it wondering why its on a car in 2018/2019.

If it’s got Ford’s Sync 3 Audio system you have access to Apple Car Play and Android Auto anyway. Not sure what you’d replace it with – a MiniDisc player!? 🙂

I picked up a 2017 Kuga a couple of weeks ago so still playing with it. I went for 180bhp Diesel, 4WD and manual box.

julians
    Free Member

The 180bhp diesel is a far nicer drive than any of the petrols if you can find one. If it does tickle your fancy (think is auto only) then make sure you confirm which box it has as earlier ones are fragile if not service regularly.

The 180bhp diesel is not only available in auto – we have one (4wd) and its manual.

You wouldnt replace the stereo- its all integrated – it’ll do android auto etc or just play mp3’s , so just ignore the cd player slot.

mjsmke

Tempted by the 180bhp petrol now.

julians
    Free Member

Tempted by the 180bhp petrol now.

There isnt a 180bhp petrol is there?- just the 180bhp diesel.

edit I’m wrong – there is one, its just very slow.

We have the diesel and the vast majority of the trips it does are 3 miles to school and back, with the occasional long run when I go biking, and its been fine, no problems with the DPF, or anything else from the short journies.

doomanic

yes you can, we have a 2018 kuga, and it fits my size large 160mm travel 29er ebike (orbea wild fs) in the boot ,upright with the front wheel off, back wheel on, dropper post in the dropped position.

What do you use to keep the bike upright and protect the interior?

chestrockwell

We had a 2014 with the bigger diesel engine from new until a year or so ago. Could easily fit my 29″ XL Orange with rear wheel if laid down. From memory it would fit standing up but the wheel would scuff the roof liner easily which made a mess so I stopped doing it.

As for the Kuga itself, perfectly capable thing with no real problems but also nothing that makes me miss it. Did it’s job, that’s about it.

That reminds me, anyone after Thule roof bars for one? Mine are in the garage and don’t fit either of our current cars.

mjsmke

I’ll probably remove one of the rear seats to give more height and space for the bike. I know I could just get a van but until someone makes a van as well speced as a car at a similar price I’ll keep looking at small SUVs

the-muffin-man

As for the Kuga itself, perfectly capable thing with no real problems but also nothing that makes me miss it. Did it’s job, that’s about it.

I’m of the same opinion of mine – does everything perfectly fine, just doesn’t feel special or excite in any way.

We bought ours to do a job (tow a horsebox), and we wanted something newish with 3yrs of Ford Warranty. Done the old 4×4 thing and sick of repairs.

Hopefully it will be reliable and dull! 🙂

mjsmke

Not really fussed about the manufacturers warranty anymore. After my experience with Skoda and having to prove which part is at fault every time, it’s less stressful to buy something less complicated or just pay a proper garage to fix it.

julians
    Free Member

What do you use to keep the bike upright and protect the interior?

I used a boot liner from my old 1 series BMW that seems to roughly fit to protect the interior.

To keep the bike upright, there are anchor points on either side of the boot, so I put a webbing strap like this (https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-black-cambuckle-tie-down-strap-l-2-5m/1536343_BQ.prd) through the anchor points and then round the frame to hold it upright against the side of the car. You only need one strap and one side of the seats folded down.

julians
    Free Member

Hopefully it will be reliable and dull!

yes – so far ours has been reliable and dull – exactly what was required.

boombang
    Free Member

Reliable, dull and seriously comfortable sums it up pretty well (ours has electric seats for maximum base titling comfort)

The third factor is the winner for me and the main reason we still have it.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Ford Kuga’ is closed to new replies.