Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Ford grand torneo connect as bike lugger
  • mav12
    Free Member

any one have one, can you get a mtb in without taking the wheel off, dont think there is anything bigger without resorting to a van, also hoping to sleep the odd night in it

cheers

Tracey

We went with the Tourneo Connect rather than the Grand as it seemed to have more room with the seats folded. Our daughter fetched three bikes back from Uni a couple of weeks ago without taking wheels off. 29er Enduro, a gravel and a jump bike. She has also slept in it a few times. The 1.6 Ecoboost Auto isn’t economical at all.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Depends how long, low and slack your bike is.

tourneo

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

It’s a van based people carrier. The obvious other ones to look at are the VW Caddy Maxi Life (which i have now) or a Renault Kangoo/Pug Rifter

Trying to work out what our next vehicle will be. Still looking like the Caddy (despite being a bit long in the tooth) as it’s got a proper flat floor and removeabled seats (rather than fold flat seats you carry when you’re not using them). Need to go have a look at the ford and see how it workds

Tracey

The seats can be taken out of the Connect to make the back like a van.

rOcKeTdOg

I can get 3 29ers with wheels in in my transit connect SWB so should be easy in the LWB

felltop

Heading off to France in ours on Thursday. It easily swallows 2 full suss 29ers, 2 road bikes and far more other stuff than we really need! Most people (us included) who use them to carry bikes unbolt the 3rd row of seats. We do re-fit them occasionally, to create a massive level platform for sleeping in the vehicle.

mattbee

“I can get 3 29ers with wheels in in my transit connect SWB so should be easy in the LWB”

Is this with both wheels on? Was thinking about getting a Connect and it would be cool if the SWB can do that as it ticks all my other boxes.

tthew

Van version here. Bikes in the back with loads of room to spare, even with the bulkhead which is a bit intrusive into the space. I’m sure the SWB would fit them as it’s only about 6 inches shorter and no bulkhead.

5 bikes, no dismantling plus 5 lots of generous luggage, tools, food etc. etc. in mine last weekend as the Tour of Flanders luggage van with room to spare. 800 miles in easy comfort, it’s a belter.

pyranha

We’ve got one and can get the tandem in whole, albeit at a bit of an angle. We can easily transport 3 people and bikes (combo of tandem/road/MTB) and luggage inside.

In the Grand (ie LWB) version, you can unbolt and remove the rearmost seats,but the second row fold “flat” – that is flat if you also have the third row, otherwise it’s a few inches step between the real floor and the seat backs. In the SWB one, I believe, the second row seats roll forward to give a flat load area. The third row aren’t really made to be removed and replaced (star headed bolts they are quite awkward to carry), so it’s not something you want to do too often – by contrast, our previous car was a Pug 308SW in which the two rear rows were designed for this.

I got the Tourneo because my wife baulked at the full van look, but the downsides include the seats situation, lack of flat load space, lots of interior trim to get tatty chucking bikes in the back and finding ways the secure bikes. On the upside, the seats are quite comfortable, I’m told, and it’s a bit more car like – probably quieter given the carpeting etc.

jamesoz

“I can get 3 29ers with wheels in in my transit connect SWB so should be easy in the LWB”

Is this with both wheels on? Was thinking about getting a Connect and it would be cool if the SWB can do that as it ticks all my other boxes.

Diagonally maybe but I’m currently using a 2019 L2 Connect (long wheelbase). A 650b trail bike fits ok with the wheels on in a straight line.
    Am I the only one that has no clue where the nose ends? Also my leg up against the centre console drives me nuts. They must have used all the (lowest possible quality) plastic in the world to make the dash, it’s massive.

tthew

Unless they have hugely changed the dash design in the last facelift, (mine is 2016) I think it’s OK. Tops of the doorcards are nasty hard things, but the colour and pattern matches other trim, so I can’t get that exercised by it. Not noticed the other things, but I might now! 😤 😂

jamesoz

Not sure of the trim level, it’s got alloy wheels, air con, heated seats etc. For some reason it doesn’t have front parking sensors but does have rear ones. I know where the rear is, it’s square. I’ve Driven loads of different cars/vans and it’s the only one i’ve Struggled with. Probably due to the short bonnet long dash messing with my head.

With my foot on the rest next to the clutch my calf constantly rubs on the humongous rock hard plastic dash it winds me up. Aside from that it’s a great little vehicle.

5lab

I looked at these before but found them oddly expensive – the cheapest ones are still £10k which is more than an equivalent smax or galaxy (both of which would be much nicer inside). Make a lot of sense new, but vfm compared with a berlingo or similar on the second hand market is poor

willstaffs
    Free Member

Been thinking of one for our next family car as we have not long had our first child. With the SWB ones can one seat be removed? So 2 seats in the back with space for bikes,dog,luggage etc in the boot/missing seat space? Wheels on or off?

mav12
    Free Member

thanks for the input, they do seem expensive , will have a look atthe vw caddy max ,will also have a look at the connect van , but these arejust as espensive as the car veraion if you go for the high spec version

tthew

alloy wheels, air con, heated seats etc

That’s the Limited spec, top of the range. Another thing they don’t have as standard is tyre pressure monitoring, (TPMS) because it’s a type approval requirement for cars and trucks, but not vans. Found that out the hard way!

Tracey

We bought ours second hand with 2000 miles on the clock, its an ex mobility one. Its the Titanium and the previous owner had all the extras fitted. Got it at a very good price as it had been with the local garage for quite some time. The sales guy said that there wasn’t much of a market for the 150hp Ecoboost auto engine in that model and the price reflected that. Not sure why its Eco as it does use a lot of petrol.

You can fold or remove one seat and leave the two seat. Fold or take out the two seat and leave the one. Fold or remove all three seats. The rear door opens up so a great advantage in the rain.

rOcKeTdOg

yes, van type, no rear seats obviously. front wheels turned to one side bikes all in the same orientation

sharkattack

Does anyone have any pictures of their Connect loaded with bikes?

We were parked next to a new shape SWB today and it looked great. Same basic shape as the Panda but we only need 2 seats and I’m sick of carrying bikes on the roof.

I just can’t see my bike going in the back of SWB with the wheels on. Maybe diagonally taking up the whole space. LWB isn’t out of the question, but neither is popping my front wheel off. I’d just be glad of the extra security.

I really need to test drive one but it might be frowned upon if I turn up with a Geometron and try to wedge it in the back.

Tracey

We turned up with a 29 Enduro to make sure it would fit. Also got them to bring it to the house to make sure it would go in the garage.
    Abigale has had the Enduro, a jump and a gravel bike all in at the same time with the wheels on plus a load of other stuff when she came home from Uni.

sharkattack

You’ve got the Tourneo right? That’s the size of the lwb van and I’d be looking at the short version initially. I’d prefer the smaller one, but my bike is comically long.

Tracey

Yes we have the Tourneo Connect not the Grand. It the same as the SWB van in dimensions.

sharkattack

Ah, cool. If I spot one in a local dealer I’ll drop in with my bike!

rOcKeTdOg

with 2 fat bikes in which take up a lot more space than 29ers or gravel bikes!
    2019-04-21_03-15-48

mattbee

Cheers for that pic. SWB with bulkhead?

I usually only carry one bike but also need space for work stuff etc or dogs too, looks like that will work.

Two bikes is rarer but still looks like there’s a bit of room to the side for ‘stuff’.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Ford grand torneo connect as bike lugger’ is closed to new replies.