Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Ford Focus TDdi/Endura EGR woes
  • oldnick

Calling all Ford experts, my ’52 plate Focus recently lost power and started putting out a bit of grey smoke, and the exhaust pipe is very sooty, and oily soot at that.
    Fearing the turbo had given up I had the local garage give it a quick once over, all that showed up was an EGR fault.
    On this car the EGR is integral to the inlet manifold, oh good I thought, that’ll be easy to get off…
    According to Haynes I need the remove the exhaust manifold first before I can remove the inlet, is this true or can it be removed leaving the exhaust manifold in place?
    Lastly, if the exhaust manifold does need to come off how do I check the health of the turbo whilst I’m in there?
    Thanks in advance 🙂

Northwind

I never had to do it on mine but the intake and exhaust manifolds do run close together… Had a look at some schematics just now and it seems possible that it might be necessary, just to access the bolts on the intake. That’ll be a nontrivial job tbh.

There’s quite a lot online about cleaning the EGR just by removing the boost hose and spraying cleaner directly into the EGR. Can’t say I’m crazy about this idea but it’s a lot quicker!

One thing I heard often with the tddi is that the fault reporting’s not very good- certainly I never got any useful codes out of the bloody thing when it had its crank sensor fault. Also, people almost universally give advice for the tdci not realising how different they are (I got recommended about 50000 times to replace the cam sensor it doesn’t have, frinstance)

ampthill

I don’t work on my own car but….

But the garage had to remove a drive shaft to replace the EGR on my Scenic. Th cost of a clever body shape

mc
    Free Member

If it is the EGR, it’s a complete PITA job.
    Been a few years since I last done one, but IIRC it’s about a 3-4hour job, as it shares bolts with the exhaust manifold/turbo, and involves dropping the exhaust/cat to get access.

Don’t try unbolting the EGR valve from the inlet manifold, as it won’t go back together and work properly (I never personally tried, but it was one of the first things the ford parts guy said, so I suspect they’d obviously seen somebody try it).

Are you sure it is the EGR though. They were prone for the throttle valve actuator (part of the inlet manifold!) wearing/falling of which would lead to lots of smoke and failing to rev above a couple thousand. Cable tie would solve that problem though.
    One way to rule out the EGR would be to unbolt the flexipipe from the cooler onto the inlet manifold, and see if the smoke clears.

oldnick

Todays smoke was black, I think I may have selected the next pope by accident.
    Going to have a poke about under the bonnet later today, praying its a split pipe but getting resigned to losing next Sunday to it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Ford Focus TDdi/Endura EGR woes’ is closed to new replies.