Ford CMax 1.6 tdi owners

• This topic has 33 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by  hora.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Ford CMax 1.6 tdi owners
  • poolman

Anyone got one? I just test drove a 12 month old one & looking to buy it. What are they like to live with? park in tight spots, motorway running noise, service costs etc.

Seems like a lot of car for the money, there’s loads about here in Spain so probably the class leader (or was).

anjs

Quite a few posts about re that engine, seems it can get quite carboned up and then the turbo can fail due to a blockage in the oil feeder pipe

cultsdave

Do not buy a 1.6 diesel ford. Do a google of the amount of engine failures as to why!

I have a 2.0 55 plate focus estate diesel and touch wood it has not missed a beat.

poolman

thanks anjs – I read on here but there must be 100000s out there. The dealer told me he had seen 1 issue. I was going to buy the 5 yr warranty to cover it.

Premier Icon slowoldgit

IIUR it’s not only a problem in Fords, Citroen use a similar engine

I had one and did nearly 100k on it with no trouble. It was so good we bought another one. We still have that one and its been trouble free.

Get it and get a warranty for peace of mind, and I reckon you’ll be ok.

jet26

Have a focus 1.6tdci and yes the turbo went (renowned problem).

It cost 1000 quid to sort.

That said have had the car six years and done 120k miles so far and (touch wood!) apart from servicing that is only expense.

It is thus still a relative bargain in terms of value for money…

poolman

Thanks codybrennan – I am just reading reviews of engine issues on another forum. There must be 100000s out there but you only read about the bad ones.

hora

chrisdiesel (from here) came across a 1.6 diesel in for a regular service at his garage with over 400,000miles on (airport courier van).

jet26

Bobbins. Was hoping mine would only make it to 200k then I could have a new car!

260k miles to go.

😯

hora

jet26 how/who does your servicing on it? Seems what you are doing since is the right way.

anjs

Well i have seen it now in two of my friends Focus’s Each time dealer quote was for a whole new engine at around 5K

Rscott

Mines a 2006 focus 1.6tdci it has 283000 miles on the clock.only replaced suspension, cam-belt and bearings, other than usual service stuff. It does drink fuel now after hydro locking the engine last year.it does need a fair bit of work doing for its next mot.

my turbo pipe came off and broke the retention clip at 62000 ands been held on with zip ties since.

it gets serviced at the usual 12500 miles as that’s what comes first for me.

the engine is a made by pugeot, and used by ford pugeot, citreon, mazda and a believe renult, volvo and mini.

ransos

Ours has been very good, now on 96k. Needed a new turbo pipe last year but wasn’t too expensive IIRC.

As above, that engine is used by loads of different makes, and appears to be fairly reliable on average.

The lack of power does show up when loaded with bikes and camping gear, but it’s not too catastrophic.

jet26

Hora – been done once by main dealer. Since rules changed on warranties done by independent cheapie garage ever since.

They are good guys!

Ours developed the injector leak that leads to “the black death” at 56K. Got rid of it.

iolo

I had a works 60 plate 1.6tdci. Did 100k in 15 months. Its went like a dream but was serviced as per book.
    Titanium spec had lots of toys.
    It’s surprisingly large inside.

That thing about “black death” and injector leaks (its always number 3 cylinder)- if anyone gets it, all thats needed to shift the gunge is Cillit Bang left overnight on the crud and it will shift no bother.

From there, fit the upgraded seal kit. Its a very easy fix.

BrickMan

Another DO NOT bother with the 1.6 comment.

Volvo use them in a few car’s and they are plagued with issues, mostly injector, DMF, EGR and regenerating convertor thing. Issues that many other modern diesels can suffer from, but with that unit, they are much more common place, and often just the cost of diagnosing exactly which (or selection of) problems it is, is enough!

they are much more common place

Proof?

My 0.02p- they’re generally reliable, but suffer from bad press due to:

a)the sheer volume of units out there
    b)failure to detect the blow-by on cylinder 3 on units that were affected by it (gone now)
    c)some problems with oil starvation to the turbo caused by a bad sump pick-up- again, now solved

Mud sticks of course, and my own experience is that they can be trusted. ALL modern TDs have issues with:
    a)DPFs- now almost seen as consumable
    b)EGRs- harder to fix now they’re cooled

hora

Now solved? You mean later units? Which years?

(see my thread many moons ago on what can go wrong on that most modern of TDs, the new VAG 1.6TDI)

Hora- yes. The upgraded seals kit have definitely been fitted since 2008/9; I don’t know when the pick-up was changed, but its a new design.

If you go into a dealership/parts place tomorrow and get a seal kit to fix the blow-by issue, do a side by side and you’ll see the difference. Its a thicker seal with a wider base, and there are better instructions for torqueing it down.

I do take Brickman’s issue about diagnostics- they were one of the earlier CR units and most dealership techs just had no clue. The knowledge is out there now though and the guys I know who do this stuff say they’re easy enough to put right. The trick as always is identifying who can do it and who can’t-

FWIW, I think the VAG 1.9TDI PD130 was the pinnacle of turbodiesel evolution and its all been downhill since 🙂

Just an EGR, no DPF, simple cat, that lovely PD design….so little to go wrong, and what did go wrong was easily fixable.

We’ll never see the likes of that again.

Premier Icon nickdavies
    Subscriber

I wouldn’t – my engines never missed a beat but it’s the worst I’ve ever had on fuel and it’s woefully underpowered in a focus.
    At 12 months old you wouldn’t be paying much more for the 1.8/2.0?

Dolcered

My 1.6 d Volvo is sitting on 98k, 75 of them mine. Egr replaced under warranty a month after I got it. Dpf removed 2 years ago( still passes mot) I’ve not seen the issues I’ve often read about. Now that I’ve given it the kiss of death I shall start saving for the replacement.

I had a Audi 1.9d plenty of trouble with that but not half as much bother as the Audi 2.0 litre petrol that followed it. Once it was 5 it spent more time in the garage than on the road. Wee Indy garage man told me to get shot of it.

I have no luck with cars it seems.

hora

Another dpf remover.

Great another ‘cyclist’ who contributes to us all breathing in your dirty additional diesel fumes.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

FWIW, I think the VAG 1.9TDI PD130 was the pinnacle of turbodiesel evolution

Downsides were noise and all the torque in one big lump.

Personally I’m much more excited by the thought of a BMW 3.0 V6… 🙂

I_Ache

I have a 62 plate cmax so just a little older than yours. And has done 25000 trouble free miles.

Good points
    Its reasonably big but not massive.
    It can easily handle the family holiday without feeling full
    Its a pleasant place to be.
    Comfortable
    Handles fine for a tall car.
    High driving position
    Happily cruises at 70-90 on the motorway.
    The back seats come out so you have a small van
    Torque

Bad points
    Despite being big its a bit of a pain to get to get bikes in
    High driving position
    Acceleration
    Horsepower
    Where do you put the bloody seats!?

It is a good car but I can’t wait to get rid of mine. Sounds daft but my wife chose it for her and I ended up with it. I much prefer a lower down more powerful petrol car. If your not interested in that it will be a fine car for you.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

I’ve a 1.6 petrol

Good points
    Its reasonably big but not massive.
    It can easily handle the family holiday without feeling full
    Its a pleasant place to be.
    Comfortable
    Handles fine for a tall car.
    High driving position
    Happily cruises at 70-90 on the motorway.
    The back seats come out so you have a small van
    Torque

Bad points
    Despite being big its a bit of a pain to get to get bikes in
    High driving position
    Acceleration
    Horsepower
    Where do you put the bloody seats!?

Is all true (well, less torque in the petrol, but probably not my much). It happily tows the boat at 60-70 on the motorway with the car full of other shit and the surfboard on the roof.

Seats are a PITA as unlike vauxhal crap advertised by those annoying fat kids they don’t fold into the floor and have to be removed completely or just left folded behind the front seats. But if you’ve a garage or spare room to put them is it is very small van like, and I suppose the floor is probably lower than the vauxhall as a result. With the seats out a 25l water tank fits behind the drivers seat and makes a 6ft long bed which is great for biking weekends.

Handling is good, not as flat as a focus, but not as rolly as most other middle of the road saloons/hatches/estates. If pushed it just under steers, nothing surprising or dramatic, it just doesn’t go round the corner.

Everyone comments on how nice the driving position and seats are, it is nicer sat in the back being so high with loads of headroom, compared to having to bend down to get into most cars and headroom being non existent in the back of anything smaller than a mondeo estate.

hora

Xsara Picasso- hideously ugly, 38mpg petrol and practical

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Ford CMax 1.6 tdi owners’ is closed to new replies.