Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Ford car advert pronunciation
  • Premier Icon dawson

Just saw an advert on TV for a new Ford.

The voice said Echo-sport.

The words said Eco-sport.

Surely the whole point of calling it that is to go big on the Eco-thing

Arrgghh!

Premier Icon CountZero

Just had the exact same conversation with my g/f, she does the rolly-eye thing and says, does it matter, what a bunch of sad people writing about this, just let it go.  LET IT GO? Of course it bloody matters, the future of civilised human behaviour depends on getting such things right, dammit!

Aaaaaaand breath. I feel better for getting that off my chest, thank you for allowing me to share. 😬

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Free Member

So .. A pile of Marketing horse crap about some pikey car gets you in a tizz… ?

How did you react to the “mammajammers” Vauxhall advert for a baby sick carrier ??

Premier Icon IdleJon

I’ve done the same. Wife did the same as above. Yes it is important. Because!

Premier Icon sirromj
    Free Member

Anti-intellectualism is gaining a wider scope.

Premier Icon dawson

Glad it’s not just me!

Bikebouy – mamma-jamma is fine as it is obviously a made-up word  whereas Echo-sport is just wrong! 😉

Premier Icon nickdavies
    Free Member

It’s got a thread on STW, that it wouldn’t have got if it had pronounced it eco. Think you just fell for the marketing…

Premier Icon joat

They’ve got form.

Ka anyone?

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

You’re talking about a company that made the cougar and the kuga.

Premier Icon retro83
    Free Member

So is the correct pronounciation of economical not echo-nomical then? 🙂

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

So it’s not pronounced as ‘shite’ then? Who knew…?

Premier Icon maccruiskeen

I worked on that. Not as the voice over artist though.

Premier Icon lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

My brother says eck-a-nomical instead of ee-co-nomical. Oooh it gets to me, it really does. At least he now corrects himself and says bushes instead of bushings.. I live with an American and manage to speak English, sorta.

Tag-line of my local bakery; “Confectionery at it’s best”… don’t get me started.

Premier Icon aP
    Free Member

If I wanted a tall boxy Fiesta with less room inside than a Fiesta then I might care. But I don’t. And I don’t.

Tag-line of my local bakery; “Confectionery at it’s best”… don’t get me started.

A local haulier company has ‘Delivering the goods’. Thats not a boast, thats a minimum requirement. Same as ‘Does exactly what it says on the tin’ – Basic trades description stuff that.

Premier Icon hodgynd
    Free Member

Definitely eeco..but although it matters I fear you are fighting a losing battle ..

For years I have been appalled that southerners have an inability to pronounce castle correctly ..as in Newcastle ..which becomes Newcarstle ( ffs)

Marshmallow ..to ..Marshmellow

And let’s not start the scone debate 😁

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Free Member

It is scone (as in stone..) not scone (as in gone)

💡🔨

Also, didn’t Ford produce a car called and STD? Or is that an urban myth?

Premier Icon thejesmonddingo

Oh,someone just couldn’t resist the temptation .

It’s scone as in goon.

Also, didn’t Ford produce a car called and STD? Or is that an urban myth?

You’re thinking of the Golf UTi

Premier Icon RustySpanner

Yup. Had a starring role in Herpes Goes To Monte Carlo.

Premier Icon CountZero

Yup. Had a starring role in Herpes Goes To Monte Carlo.

👏🏻🤣

It’s got a thread on STW, that it wouldn’t have got if it had pronounced it eco. Think you just fell for the marketing…

Nah, if I’d fallen for the marketing, I’d seriously consider buying one. Having actually driven one, I wouldn’t go near it. The top-end Kuga, however, isn’t a bad car to drive. Still wouldn’t buy one, though. My heart’s set on a Mazda CX-5. And that based on driving one, not the marketing.

Premier Icon Edukator
    Free Member

FFS an honest car add and people don’t like it. If they said “eeco” which it clearly isn’t as there’s not an ecological thought in it’s design you’d be right to be upset. But they say something that sounds short for economical which it is, it’s cheap tat.

Premier Icon scotroutes

Surely it’s eco as in eco-logy?

Premier Icon thepurist

My heart’s set on a Mazda CX-5.

I’m just about to get rid of one because of the crap ownership experience – lousy dealer, terrible customer service, have had to escalate things twice to mazda UK, needs an oil change every 6 months (diesel) etc etc.

Anyhow eeeco or ecko, like scoane or sgone innit

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thats not a boast, thats a minimum requirement. Same as ‘Does exactly what it says on the tin’ – Basic trades description stuff that.

It’s actually a bit more than that, it’s not offering some life changing event, meeting the love of your life or becoming taller etc. It’s just exactly what you want to do a job and get on with life. No nonsense good value (what they hope you will think) products

Premier Icon chestrockwell

What bothers me more is how the Eco Sport name does not align itself to any other car in the Ford range.

Fiesta, Focus, Kuga, all going reasonably well. Mondeo, fine but then Eco Sport? WTF?

In fact, you can add Ka+ to that list. Where’s the standard Ka? At least the ‘Max’ range designates a certain vehicle style.

Aaaargh!

Premier Icon RustySpanner

Wow, Ford snobs.

I didn’t know that was still a thing……

Premier Icon hodgynd
    Free Member

That is the name of the vehicle ..Ecosport ..its a stand alone name

Just like a Mondeo is a  Mondeo..a Fiesta is a Fiesta ..an Ecosport is an Ecosport..

It’s a pretty crap name mind you..but there you go ..

Premier Icon breadcrumb

I think we’re concentrating too much on the eco/echo part. There ain’t nothing sporty about that Ford.

Premier Icon jimjam
    Free Member

hodgynd

It’s a pretty crap name mind you..but there you go ..

It did make me raise an eyebrow when I heard the advert, however this thread has made me think about just how bad most car manufacturers are at naming their products.

VW have some real clangers – Tiguan, Touraeg, T-Roc, Arteon…. Renault – Kadjar, Kaptur, Koleos. Skoda Karoq? Crock? Seriously. Even manufacturers who used to have clear, logical numerical nomenclature like BMW for example now have so much clutter in their range that it’s just a quagmire of numbers and letters.

Premier Icon hodgynd
    Free Member

Here’s another one for you ..as seen on Top Gear last night ..the new Renault produced Alpine ..

Alpeen ?

Naff off …!!

Premier Icon psling
    Free Member

Wonder if it comes with Continental tyres as standard?

Premier Icon IdleJon

Here’s another one for you ..as seen on Top Gear last night ..the new Renault produced Alpine ..

Alpeen ?

It’s always been pronounced Alpeen because it’s a French brand. Do you pronounce Renault ‘Renaught’?

Premier Icon hodgynd
    Free Member

Do you pronounce Paris ..Paree?

Premier Icon DickBarton

It won’t be Eco so they can’t say it as it will be misleading…

Premier Icon cheers_drive

I think the Ecosport is primarily for the US market but Ford Europe have decided to sell in here too.

I don’t know if that explains the name and why it’s supposedly not a good car (Fords are generally pretty good)

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Free Member

Wow, Ford snobs.

I didn’t know that was still a thing…

Sure is, Four Doors and a Board my father used to call them.. ok, that was back in the 80’s.. so ok, was. Yet the FiL is looking for a new car for the farm, we’ve had a ranger for 2.5years and the only thing that’s gone wrong with it is we’ve smashed it into submission.. but he’s adamant he’s not buying another Ford 🍩🧐🤡

Premier Icon DezB
    Free Member

VW have some real clangers – Tiguan, Touraeg, T-Roc, Arteon…. Renault – Kadjar, Kaptur, Koleos. Skoda Karoq? Crock?

They’ve done well with the new Kia … the Stonic. I laughed quite literally, out loud, when I first heard that.

Stonic!

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Just don’t ask the Scots to pronounce Peugeot…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Ford car advert pronunciation’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.