• This topic has 23 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Ford C-MAX – new v old
  • mudshark
    Free Member

I’m planning to get one but not sure whether to get a low mileage 2nd hand one or a new one – 5 seater version. Anyone seen or driven the new one? The new one does look a lot better and like the sound of the Ecoboost version. I believe they are similar size inside though the new one looks smaller to me.

midlifecrashes

Went in to have a look at the 7 seater, but the back seats are tiny and have almost no leg room at all. Looks bigger in the flesh than the old one, to me anyway. I don’t get the idea of an MPV over a regular estate unless it has more than five seats.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Watch out for Turbo failures, best part of £900 to fix it. Quite a common problem as well.

theotherjonv

I don’t get the idea of an MPV over a regular estate unless it has more than five seats.

I’ve got a Toyota Verso which is a 5+2 seater as well rather than a 7 seater.

It has been useful but only on occasion; such as if me and the wife, our two and grandma and grandad want to go out somewhere locally (like town for something to eat) – than the littl’uns can go in the back and we can take one car.

I wouldn’t like to put them in there for a longer journey – I don’t think the seats are as confortable (no leg room even for our average height 6yo) and I’m very wary that if we were rear ended they are basically a rear windscreen away from the impact. A manageable risk for a 10 minute drive on 30mph roads but i wouldn’t do it on the m/way.

Passat Estate next time, I think……

geetee1972
    Free Member

Can’t comment on turbo failures but I can tell you that the diesel versions eat front tyres. My 2006 model (2.0tdi) needs new front tyres every 10-12,000 miles or so.

iainc

Wife has a nearly 3 yr old 1.8 Zetec petrol. Very good car, much better than teh Scenic it replaced. Crap economy though – averages 27mph although all short journeys, kids, heaters, stop start. On a longer drive at sensible speeds it will get high 30’s. Good kit, nice to drive. If you are doing sub 10k miles per annum the petrol ones are cheap as chips.

Had a look at new 5 seat one and would certainly consider when changing – too expensive at mo as not many preregistered ones around yet

mudshark
    Free Member

The reason I want a C-MAX is that I want a bit more space than a Focus but not a long, ugly estate car 😉 plus I like the flexibility of the seats. Want to be able to carry a bike in the boot with one seat folded down and one kid on the back seat. Am I being sensible?

iainc

mudshark – I can get my 17inch Rock Lobster in boot with only front wheel off and still have 1 seat up. Bit tight though. I don’t think the boot is any/much bigger than the Focus hatch though. The big benefit to us with the CMax (and other small mpv’s) is that the rear seata are individual, so can be tumbled seperately, also the kids booster seats don’t bump together etc and the kids themselves seem to have more room, sit higher, see out better etc

mudshark
    Free Member

Can you get luggage in as well? My idea is to have the bike down one side of the car, with one rear seat taken out/folded, and then luggage in the rest of the boot. Too much of a squeeze? Don’t really like carrying the bike outside the car but that would be the sensible option.

superfli
    Free Member

mudshark, you have the right idea, the C-Max has loads of space for bikes and people. Not too big like and MPV and if you get a diesel, the fuel economy is excellent+its very quick. Cam chain engine too, so should last a while longer before big service costs.
    We used to have one, but unfortunately the electrics let it down. Our fuse box got water in, frying the elecs and it cost £500. Also alternator went not long after buying (it was 3yrs old). Elecs were never the same and the odd light on dash coming on worried us, so we flogged it.

I’ve gone back to Honda now, as I’ve had 3 others and all been faultless. No Honda that size, so we got the permanent 6 seater FRV. Fuel eco is shocknig though.

GaryLake
    Free Member

2.0 TDCi first generation, lovely to drive but quite a bit’s gone wrong and it’s been pricey to fix.

midlifecrashes

There is quite a bit of height available to put a bike in upright with at least one wheel off, seatpost dropped or removed. The seats do fold easily, but you have to lift the seat base first. You’d still be able to use 3 seats and have good luggage space. We do use the extra seats in our Honda Stream regularly but they don’t import the current model so are looking at the S-Max next. Are you happy putting a mucky bike in a brand new car?

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Mudshark – I have a 05 C-Max for sale. If you want to send me an email (address in profile) I can give you all the details. If you’re interested. Sorry for the hijack. I’m right in the middle of something else just now, but I’ll be around all day tomorrow. Thanks.

theotherjonv

I want a bit more space than a Focus but not a long, ugly estate car plus I like the flexibility of the seats.

Me too actually – but if I was going to do that I’d get a proper MPV such as the S-Max. And the comparative price / spec / most important co car tax on the S-Max vs the Passat is chalk and cheese – £3900 / yr for the S-Max vs £2250 for the Passat (13% tax!). But that wasn’t your question…..

To answer yours, somewhat, if I was spending my money I don’t think I’d consider the new C-max, I’d be looking for a used S-Max instead and get the proper tool for the job.

mudshark
    Free Member

Ah well I think an S-Max might be a bit OTT given that we only have a 7mth old kid…. Really I think the C-MAX is too as will only need all the space occasionally, my Puma seems a bit on the small side now though!

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I had a 53 Plate 2.0TDCi and it was mega quick, got 20K off the front tyres and it did 60K in one year without a hiccup. My mate bought a late 10 model and they’re still a great car. I’d go for old version.

Ford do an accessory where you take the middle seat out and attach a QR mount and have your bike in between the rear two seats.

Good car.

iainc

mudshark – to answer your question about the upright bike idea – yea, it will fit, but you will need the seatpost out. There is a mount that can be bought to clamp the forks onto the metal bit where the single seat would click down, if you take that seat right out – I saw some pics of it on here and it looked neat, although OTT unless using all the time I’d have thought. We bought ours from a main dealer and it was exmotability, 6 months old and with less than 3k miles. It has now got about 25K on it and it has been very reliable. When we bought it end of 2008, we got it for just under 9K – a diesel with same spec and mileage was over 12K, so for us, doing less than 10K miles per annum and keeping teh car for around 4 yrs, it was a no brainer to buy the petrol one.

hora
    Free Member

Does it have to be a C-Max? I kinda think the whole sector/niche is filling a requirement that doesnt really exist…

For instance unless you need to carry SEVEN people 100% of the time why buy such a monstrosity?

Anyway, if you must why not also look at the Honda FRV?

rkk01
    Free Member

S Max is a great biking / outdoors car. We’ve had one for over 3 years.

It’s spacious without being huge, good fun to drive, economical… Front tyres can go quick if you’re not careful with the diesel torque, although current fronts have done over 20k and rears over 40k.

Sadly considering selling, as we’ve just had some big bills (tyres, brakes, exhaust). Classic car connundrum – just spent money on it so do we keep and recoup or sell while it’s all still good 🙁

hora
    Free Member

rkk01 thing is anycar would need new brakes or tyres at somepoint? (If your buying used next)

TatWink
    Free Member

We bought an 06 2.0 tdci with leather parking sensors 6 x cd etc etc and can say its been the best family car to date. 2 kids 2 large dogs no problem.
    Regularly get 48 mpg and very comfortable and surprisingly nimble to drive with the control blade rear suspension.
    Great cars. Go for it!

LS
    Free Member

The missus has had an 05 plate 1.6 petrol for 3 years and beyond routine servicing/tyres it’s needed a new power steering pump for about £250. She averages 37mpg over ~8k miles per year. It’s easy to drive, the seat arrangement is good and it swallows bikes easily – even with my daughter in the back my 64cm road bike goes in with both wheels attached.

Before getting a van for bike race duties I slept in the boot (all seats removed) at Mountain Mayhem. Remarkably comfortable 😀

mudshark
    Free Member

For instance unless you need to carry SEVEN people 100% of the time why buy such a monstrosity?

It ain’t much bigger than a Focus and the new one looks pretty good I reckon, drives well too I hear.

hora
    Free Member

It ain’t much bigger than a Focus and the new one looks pretty good I reckon

Its bigger though. Many cars out there that have 5 seats.

drives well too I hear.

For an MPV…

Still its still more useful than the Golf Plus! 😆

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Ford C-MAX – new v old’ is closed to new replies.