Viewing 13 posts - 121 through 133 (of 133 total)
  • For your consideration – campaign to "Release an Unfairly Jailed War Hero"
  • piemonster

That’s about the sum of it.

martinhutch

The evidence makes clear that at some point in 2011, he came back to his accommodation and moved the gun and ammunition (which was in a clear perspex case) before going on operations. The suggestion that he’d forgotten it was there just doesn’t wash. In his interview with police, he told them he just hadn’t got around to sorting it out.

His mate got 2 years for similar offences, including having a hand grenade. He’s done alright in comparison due to his brain injury and exemplary service. If he’s not careful, appealing the sentence could see it increased.

I missed this bit first time round;

From the support message; “None of it was Danny’s, but the search also uncovered the “war trophy” pistol…”
    From the court transcript; “…you were found to be in possession of a Glock automatic pistol along with a substantial amount of 9mm ammunition as well as armour piercing rounds…”

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crankboy
    Free Member

I got the sentence wrong when i commented a few days ago, shows you should not trust what the family/media publish as accurate. I believed he got an 18 month prison sentence.
    “in relation to Charge 1 the court sentences you to 18 months detention. In relation to Charge 2 the court sentences you to 6 months detention; these sentences to run concurrently”
    Detention is not prison, from what I read it is not fun but the regiem is considered to fall well short of prison and attracts 1/3 remission.

It is going to be very interesting to see what the Court of Appeal make of the case on thursday .

It is also note worthy that for all the debate and publicity not one media outlet would appear to have gone to the trouble of finding and publishing the actual facts of the case rather than regurgitate the defence/family statements .

rkk01
    Free Member

Interesting…

I think the Judge Advocate has done a very credible job in balancing the various factors here.

The family (and the unscrupulous media) should be ashamed for bending the truth to suit their own agenda.

Anyone who legally holds a firearm / shotgun knows the mandatory 5 year sentence for “forgetting” their renewal. It certainly focuses the mind

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Some folk believe he should get off because he’s SAS and that qualifies him as a hero.

Some other folk don’t believe he should get off, and don’t believe that being SAS qualifies him as a hero.

no, some people believe that whether or not he is a hero is totally irrelevant to the fact he committed a serious crime by being in possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes that

Whether he is a war hero or a gangster hoodlum he is not legally allowed to have that firearm or the ammunition in his possession

the law should be applied equally to all and he has got a very very lenient sentence based on who is rather than what he did.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Anyone who legally holds a firearm / shotgun knows the mandatory 5 year sentence for “forgetting” their renewal. It certainly focuses the mind

Unless you throw a child in the river then pull them out and get your name in the papers for being a hero. Then holding an illegal firearm is ok. Apparently.

piemonster

no, some people believe that whether or not he is a hero is totally irrelevant to the fact he committed a serious crime by being in possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition

Indeed, but I only had two minutes.

deluded
    Free Member

He’s been released on appeal with a suspended sentence then. Seems sensible in the circumstances.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20547557

wrecker
    Free Member

Happy days!

anonymouse
    Free Member

Free Barabas!

Sandwich

Soft on crime, soft on the causes of crime….

Viewing 13 posts - 121 through 133 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘For your consideration – campaign to "Release an Unfairly Jailed War Hero"’ is closed to new replies.