Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • for Woppit – a matter of faith
  • yunki
    Free Member

I don’t have a great deal of faith in that which I can’t see, or drink, or laugh with or dance to..
    If I try to imagine something beyond our existence, it’s much more likely to be based in science or science fiction than it is in organised religion..

but this made me smile this morning.. 🙂

In a mother’s womb were two babies. One asked the other: “Do you believe in life after delivery?” The other replies, “why, of course. There has to be something after delivery. Maybe we are here to prepare ourselves for what we will be later. “Nonsense,” says the other. “There is no life after delivery. What would that life be?” “I don’t know, but there will be more light than here. Maybe we will walk with our legs and eat from our mouths.” The other says “This is absurd! Walking is impossible. And eat with our mouths? Ridiculous. The umbilical cord supplies nutrition. Life after delivery is to be excluded. The umbilical cord is too short.” “I think there is something and maybe it’s different than it is here.” the other replies, “No one has ever come back from there. Delivery is the end of life, and in the after-delivery it is nothing but darkness and anxiety and it takes us nowhere.” “Well, I don’t know,” says the other, “but certainly we will see mother and she will take care of us.” “Mother??” You believe in mother? Where is she now? “She is all around us. It is in her that we live. Without her there would not be this world.” “I don’t see her, so it’s only logical that she doesn’t exist.” To which the other replied, “sometimes when you’re in silence you can hear her, you can perceive her.” I believe there is a reality after delivery and we are here to prepare ourselves for that reality….

As a militant atheist …. I like that

molgrips
    Free Member

Nicely done.

I have often wondered if everything we see and know about is a dream that you have whilst you are still in the womb. Then one day you’re born, but you’d still remember everything and still be you. So delivery wards would be full of babies talking to each other about what they’d experienced. If everyone’s dream was sufficiently diverse that world would be a pretty crazy place..

Religion .. Still a load of tosh though

toys19
    Free Member

As a child in the womb there is a lot of evidence that mother is there, sounds, movement? If we are to suspend disbelief that the children can talk to each other then they would hear and understand mothers voice also, leaving them in no doubt.

I have yet to hear God’s voice.

Cougar

I appear to have accidentally logged in to Facebook.

molgrips
    Free Member

Er toys.. I don’t think you’re supposed to be trying to take the story apart. It’s simply an illustration, and a nice one too.

toys19
    Free Member

An illustration of what? Its religous propaganda. What I am supposed to do is surely up to me?

Cougar. 😆

If we take Yunkis point, that he only dreams in science, but this made him feel differently, it is a bit of tosh really as the babies would eb basing their belief on their observations, and how they interpreted them. So if they could talk and hear, they woudl hear mummys vocie talklign about when they come out.

yunki
    Free Member

I have yet to hear God’s voice.

you iz not takin enuff mushrooms blaad

cougar and toys – you are philistines, philosophy is obviously not your cuppa

I didn’t have a point, hence I stated that it made me smile.. it hasn’t changed my view, it just made me smile..

toys19
    Free Member

Yunki, this is not philosophy, I think you will find any skeptic rationalist such as me (and cougar I think) will have a firm grasp of philosophy. Do you even know what the word means?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have often wondered if everything we see and know about is a dream that you have whilst you are still in the womb

Really why did you do adegre ein physics then?
    quote]I don’t think you’re supposed to be trying to take the story apart. It’s simply an illustration, and a nice one too. [/quote][

Oh right so much like the Bible its not real then and doe snot stand up to actual analysis 😉

Nice story mind but religion is still bobbins

yunki
    Free Member

Do you even know what the word means?

oh piss off you mumpy eejut..

From wiki – Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.

skeptic rationalist such as me

you sound more like a petulant wee boy this morning… that can’t spell

toys19
    Free Member

Yunki from wikipedia (it had pictures so it must be true)

Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.Philosophy is distinguished from other ways of addressing such problems by its critical, generally systematic approach and its reliance on rational argument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skepticism

See here for how it is spelt.

And please try not to be rude, I was only joining the discussion. I think resorting to insult is a sign of frustration. Perhaps you would like to have a discussion?

camo16
    Free Member

Ah, so it’s an early start for the ritualistic weekly STW religion argument… I can already see the 800+ posts that lead absolutely nowhere. 😉

Love Yunki’s story though.

EDIT: Oh, and the Wiki definition of philosophy! How Plato, Rousseau and Heidegger managed to define themselves pre-Wiki I’ll never know.

Cougar

I have no issues with philosophy, it’s twaddle I’m not keen on.

oh piss off you mumpy eejut..

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to a couple of days off the forum. Play nicely.

yunki
    Free Member

its reliance on rational argument.

twaddle

meh..

rulebook schmulebook.. 🙄

fear

why are folk afraid to think abstractly..?

there’s some on here that get their knickers in a real twist about it.. even if it’s other folk doing it..

toys19 – Member
    Yunki, this is not philosophy, I think you will find any skeptic rationalist such as me (and cougar I think) will have a firm grasp of philosophy. Do you even know what the word means?

I’m a skeptic too so count me in. The only time I’ve ever believed way probably in the womb, soon as I’d matured to 3 years I dismissed the man made nonsense

toys19
    Free Member

rulebook schmulebook..

Kwality comeback, I’m beaten.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Cougar that’s brilliantly and hysterically satirical. 😀

johnners
    Free Member

Pretty mawkish stuff, and not even a good allegory for religious belief in life after death.

yunki
    Free Member

Toys – I’m not trying to beat you mate.. I have no interest in doing that..
    And I’m not trying to recruit people to a religious cult.. I’m as agnostic as the next man

I’m just posting an interesting and sentimental passage that I saw this morning (yes on facebook.. 🙄 )

I meant no offence, my heartfelt apologies go out to the sneering few.. 😀

toys19
    Free Member

yunki.
    Fair enough. I wasn’t trying to be miserable, I genuinely felt compelled to pull it apart as it really had no meaning.

I’m not sure I desrved to be insulted though?

Lifer
    Free Member

yunki – Member
    I’m just posting an interesting and sentimental passage that I saw this morning

What’s it sentimental about? It’s just an awful analogy attempting to make atheism look like an obviously flawed position. But it’s bobbins.

yunki
    Free Member

I just thought it was quite creative that’s all..

it made me grin, sorry that it made some angry
    not my intention at all..

toys19
    Free Member

Yunki, I havent got angry, so far the only anger I have seen is you getting angry with me.

yunki
    Free Member

do you even know what the word means?

I was quite insulted by that comment.. as I believe was your intention..

I think it snowballed from there
    I can’t help myself once the fur starts flying 😀

konabunny
    Free Member

lol

Hit like if you love your mother.

toys19
    Free Member

I think I was questioning why you thought philosphy is not my thing, when in fact it is what drives my skepticism. It convinced me that you do not know what it means. Which you patently don’t.

rulebook schmulebook..

MrNutt
    Free Member

we are all but yeast

Kahurangi

Funnily enough, another STW thread has decended into a tit-fot-tat battle between internet personas.

Nearly enough to make a grown man flounce.

SaxonRider

Cougar – Moderator

😆

Cougar

Nearly enough to make a grown man flounce.

Do we have any of those on here?

toys19
    Free Member

Not that I can see.

camo16
    Free Member

Not that I can see.

Blind faith. 😉

yunki
    Free Member

Which you patently don’t.

what is the correct word then, in your experience, for the considering of ideas..?

toys19
    Free Member

Oh camo16, its not blind faith, its lack of evidence. Not return to a thread is not a sign of a flounce, there could be myriad reasons to not return. Flouncing is announcing.

camo16
    Free Member

Flouncing is announcing.

Awesome – I love that!

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve done some research

theology would seem a word perhaps less likely to incur the jeering wraith of the disciples of anal

So is theology not your cuppa then toys..? 8)

toys19
    Free Member

I’ve done some research

theology would seem a word perhaps less likely to incur the jeering wraith of the disciples of anal

So is theology not your cuppa then toys..?

Bang on yunki. Theology is not my cuppa. Spit. (although intelligent theologists often end up atheists, so it cannot be all bad)
    On a pedantic spelling note “wrath” is probably the word you wanted, unless you were making a spiritual joke.

yunki
    Free Member

can I claim the Edinburgh defence regarding the spelling..?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘for Woppit – a matter of faith’ is closed to new replies.