Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • For those who think the Scottish property buying system is better
  • oldtennisshoes

Flat advertised as offers over £154,000
    Home report valuation of £175,000
    Sold stc for £220,000 in a silent auction
    The world (well that bit of Glasgow anyway 🤣 ) has officially gone mad.

uggski

How does a silent Auction work then?

joshvegas
    Free Member

I fail to see the issue there. People offering over is normal.

Compared to

On offer for 175k
    Accepted for 154k
    Seller gets a 220k offer day before handover, takes it, the entire chain falls through.

dyna-ti

Where was this flat, he asks out of interest and in relation to his own 🙂

oldtennisshoes

West end up against the boundary of Maryhill in Glasgow

oldtennisshoes

Seller gets a 220k offer day before handover, takes it, the entire chain falls through.

Which can and still does happen until missives are exchanged.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How does a silent Auction work then?

eBay is a slightly modified “silent auction”, you basically submit bids upto the closing date, but can submit as many bids as you like (ebay obviously just does the last bit for you). So ebay means the winner pays the 2nd highest price (plus a minimum increment), whereas a silent auction you pay whatever you bid.

On offer for 175k
    Accepted for 154k

Depends, unless the ‘seller’ isn’t also a ‘buyer’ then they’ve just collapsed their own sale too. So there’s a strong incentive on everyone to not be a dick.

BoardinBob

I fail to see the issue there. People offering over is normal.

Ah, you maybe dont understand the survey setup here in Scotland

Home report valuation of £175,000
    Sold stc for £220,000 in a silent auction

Up here, the survey is done by the seller before the house goes on the market, and the surveyor gives the valuation, in this case £175k. That means the lender will give the buyer a mortgage based on that valuation only.

The house actually sold for £220k. That means the buyer has to come up with a deposit based on whatever LTV mortgage they’re getting based on a valuation of £175k, plus find an additional £45k as the winning bid was £45k higher than the HR valuation.

In England the survey is done after the bid is accepted? Then you could have a word with the surveyor and ask if they can value it at, or close to what you’ve offered.

Under the Scottish system, it means people with loads of cash to play with, can massively outbid people who’ve just managed to save up enough for just a deposit based on X% of the home report valuation. It means those on low incomes and/or the young have even less chance of getting on the property ladder

oldtennisshoes

What @BoardinBob says, it’s brutal for first time buyers in particular.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Under the Scottish system, it means people with loads of cash to play with, can massively outbid people who’ve just managed to save up enough for just a deposit based on X% of the home report valuation. It means those on low incomes and/or the young have even less chance of getting on the property ladder

I’m really not sure I see that as any different. Here sure, that first time buyer can ask for a mortgage on 220k to buy a house valued at £170k but the lender likely says no, even if they say yes, they still need the additional 10k of deposit they don’t have because you only had enough for a 170k mortgage.

scotroutes

I’m not sure what folk are suggesting to “fix” this? That the property should go to the first buyer to come up with the HR valuation?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’m not sure what folk are suggesting to “fix” this? That the property should go to the first buyer to come up with the HR valuation?

Rock paper scissors in place of bidding I reckon.

BoardinBob

I’m really not sure I see that as any different. Here sure, that first time buyer can ask for a mortgage on 220k to buy a house valued at £170k but the lender likely says no, even if they say yes, they still need the additional 10k of deposit they don’t have because you only had enough for a 170k mortgage.

What lenders are doing mortgages over 100% LTV???

Prior to the Home Report being introduced in Scotland, the survey setup used to be the same as England. Make an offer, offer is accepted, you get a surveyor and the surveyor would usually speak to the estate agent to find out what the winning bid was, and unless it was insanely over the asking price, the surveyor would value it at the winning bid.

Now there’s a debate that the surveyors are undervaluing properties as the actual selling price is normally well over what they value it at.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

What lenders are doing mortgages over 100% LTV???

None that I know of, hence “lender likely says no”

joshvegas
    Free Member

Ah, you maybe dont understand the survey setup here in Scotland

Please tell me more about this strange system.

Yours sincerely

Joshvegas of Peebles

matt_outandabout

What do people suggest as an alternative?

(And we’ve just been bidding on houses that have all gone 25-30% over asking. It’s silly season imo.)

joshvegas
    Free Member

And we’ve just been bidding on houses that have all gone 25-30% over asking. It’s silly season imo

See I think this is what the OP is mistaking for a flaw in the system. Since covid people have just been going wild just to get a house they think they want and the dog and are prepared to risk their own wedge to secure it.

It’s a rock and hard place if someone wants or needs to move offer what the bank will support and not get it or offer over and get it and risk the price dropping because it sure of shit won’t be coming out of the banks cut.

argee

Last time i bought a house in Scotland it was horrific, was looking around Glasgow as well, up to Strathblane, sealed bidding made it a nightmare, we must have bid on about 6 properties and were blown out the water every time, as BoardinBob stated, you had to make up the difference on top of your deposit, by the time we gave up on anything offers over it took us a while to find a fixed price house that was decent, and that was just outside Bonnybridge!

I much prefer the English way, yes you can get gazumped, but i’ve never seen it myself, there’s a bit more security for the seller which is good, but the flip side is that the buyer has potential risks added, we were cash buyers in Scotland as well, but that didn’t mean much for those sealed bids, for the fixed it meant we had our offer accepted quickly and were in the house in no time.

oldtennisshoes

See I think this is what the OP is mistaking for a flaw in the system.

Nope, it’s the combination of valuations not being valuations and the sealed bid system that needs attention IMHO

mattyfez

The Scottish system sounds simmilar to the Canadian system, I don’t know too much about either, but it can drive prices up if you get into a bidding war.

But the thing with the canadian system is you can’t get ‘Gazzumped’ ..If you put in an offer and it wins, but the vendor then gets a better offer, and dismiss you as a buyer they basically have to pay you compensation.

poly
    Free Member

Prior to the Home Report being introduced in Scotland, the survey setup used to be the same as England. Make an offer, offer is accepted, you get a surveyor and the surveyor would usually speak to the estate agent to find out what the winning bid was, and unless it was insanely over the asking price, the surveyor would value it at the winning bid.

by the time home reports came about that was the case but only ten years before that offers subject to survey would have been dismissed as not committed and so if you wanted a survey you did it before you bid.  This meant you could pay survey fees on a lot of stuff you didn’t win.  It also meant that the surveyor might say 175k  but you wanted to offer more so have to talk him up.  But you will probably not get to 220k.  Another surveyor might have said 190k (since it’s subjective) and might be willing to round that up to 200k…  with a finite pool of surveyors you might also be talking to someone who is “advising” the competition.  A single survey paid for by the person profiting from the transaction is fairer.

really though the surveyor should be valuing it at the price the mortgage company can expect to get if they had to resell it tomorrow, that will always be less than the winning bidder – it could be the second place bidder but they only went that high because they knew the winning bidder might beat them – so it’s true value is probably around the 3rd place bid.  I believe surveyors and estate agents talk regularly so they will know if there were 8 bids all between 210 and 220 and they undervalued or if there were three bids around 175, one at 200 and a crazy at 220.

the odd thing to me is that a property is listed at o/o 154k if the home report is 175k and the market is Bouyant.  That sounds like estate agents playing silly buggers – advertise cheap to get people in and then boast you get 45% above asking rather than 25% above that the firm across the street achieves (from a more sensible asking!)

I’ve bought three houses in Scotland.  One was fixed price, one was offers over and the other was offers over but we made a quick but respectable offer that was accepted without going to closing.  We also made a number of offers which were unsuccessful at each stage.  We sold both houses with closing dates.   I think the system works ok, but has drawbacks.  I don’t think the alternative model used in England is any better.

im surprised that with interest rates comparatively high, more people returning to offices and lots of people complaining about financial pressure that property prices are still growing.

squirrelking
    Free Member

the odd thing to me is that a property is listed at o/o 154k if the home report is 175k and the market is Bouyant. That sounds like estate agents playing silly buggers – advertise cheap to get people in and then boast you get 45% above asking rather than 25% above that the firm across the street achieves (from a more sensible asking!)

I’ve seen this so many times recently, really nice houses listed for well below what you would expect to pay. It just makes a mockery of the whole thing tbh.

scotroutes

the odd thing to me is that a property is listed at o/o 154k if the home report is 175k and the market is Bouyant.

+1

only ten years before that offers subject to survey would have been dismissed as not committed and so if you wanted a survey you did it before you bid. This meant you could pay survey fees on a lot of stuff you didn’t win.

Also, this.

BoardinBob

ten years before that offers subject to survey would have been dismissed as not committed

Bought my first 2 flats in Shawlands in the early 2000s when the market was crazy and both times my offers were subject to survey and both were accepted by the seller

poly
    Free Member

Homebuyer reports were introduced in 2009. Premilenium an offer “subject to survey” would have been regarded as pretty meaningless.  The advantage of the Scottish system was supposed to be that an offer was binding.  Subject to survey left a get out clause.

matt_outandabout

The advantage of the Scottish system was supposed to be that an offer was binding.

Now this is one we have seen fail.
    Property ‘sold’ and then someone unable to complete.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

The offer is morally binding subject to successful completion of the missives. I often see properties coming back on to the market if something goes astray e.g. buyer unable to get a mortgage or the buyers own house sale falls through. It is only once the missives are completed and signed by both parties solicitors that it becomes legally binding. That can take three months or so.

matt_outandabout

I would also say, having bought in England too. Open auctions, best and final offers, gazumping and more were all experiences we had there.
    It also didn’t stop the rampant over-bidding in a heated market.

kimbers

I much prefer the English way, yes you can get gazumped,

You’ve obviously never been gazumped!

Throws everything into chaos, schools, chain falls apart, stuff in storage, absolute nightmare, even with a week’s notice

And (some) estate agents seem to be completely unregulated cowboys

So much of the stress seems to be a result of them playing silly buggers (they’re on comission so it’s almost built into the system)

thebunk

Yes not sure what you can do about people bidding over valuation, whether that’s a survey valuation (Scotland) or estate agent (England). Just means the house is in an area more people want to live in than available houses?

Having the survey and valuation carried out ahead of sale is the improvement over the English system. So much less stressful for sellers and buyers.

Akers

Isn’t the flaw in the Scottish system the valuation being made by the surveyor, before the property goes to market?
    How do you establish ‘value’ before any bids are placed?
    Is the value of a property not that which more than 1 buyer is prepared to pay?
    In this instance, if there were multiple offers above say £210,000, then that is the ‘value’ in the market at that time.

BoardinBob

Is the value of a property not that which more than 1 buyer is prepared to pay?
    In this instance, if there were multiple offers above say £210,000, then that is the ‘value’ in the market at that time.

This is the problem. There’s a huge disconnect between what people are willing to pay, and what surveyors think the property is worth.

rsl1
    Free Member

As a first time buyer in England I would say neither sound that different to each other on the price front. People who already own property have seen their asset rocket in value in the last few years whilst the money in the banks of savers has eroded. We had 20% deposit saved up and were still being outbid way above asking, either people must be taking crippling mortgage payments, or selling their own overinflated house is providing enormous deposits on the next

argee

It’s all about area and climate, in Scotland it was a nightmare looking around areas in the northeast of the city, like bearsden, milgavnie, strathblane, etc, so sealed bids were pretty much standard, we’d go 20-30% over and on one we lost by a huge margin, but move to the central belt and it was less of a margin over the price or fixed.

It’s the same down here now, go into an area that’s desirable, you can be up against a lot of folk with large savings, they can afford to add 20k if it’s getting them near what they want (work, schools, etc), most of us can’t do that and first time buyers are being pushed towards simpler, less desirable homes.

benpinnick

At the start of lockdown when the market was crap I considered buying a place in the valley as a second home/holiday let (Yes, I know, sorry). I soon found out how this was going to work, and that the offer price bore no correlation to the price it would sell at and soon walked away from the whole idea.

As above, the pricing the agents give it makes a mockery of the whole process.

BoardinBob

As above, the pricing the agents give it makes a mockery of the whole process.

It is daft. It’s supposed to get viewers through the door. That makes no sense though as everyone knows to look at the offers over figure and add 30/40% then decide if it’s affordable before viewing. I much prefer the English setup of “offers in the region of”.

There’s also bugger all negotiation here. Closing date of Friday lunchtime and it’s a complete lottery. We sold our flat in 2020 at closing date. Home report valuation was £145k, estate agent put it on at offers over £130k.

The actual winning bid was £165k and the half dozen or so bids ranged from £140k to £165k.

matt_outandabout

We have just had ours valued.
    Both agents suggested going in at their valuation – and that the Homebuyers report would probably reflect their valuation.
    But both went on to say “but you will get more” and suggested that if we keep the advert below £300k we get more interest and bids.
    I asked both why we don’t just say it is worth £320 (around what seems right to us) and then the Homebuyers is accurate and buyers can bid around that.
    Both were clear that is not the behaviour of buyers – apparently buyers love some bidding up action and FOMO of a Best and Final process…
    🤷‍♀️

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve seen this so many times recently, really nice houses listed for well below what you would expect to pay. It just makes a mockery of the whole thing tbh.

Surely it’s up to the seller to decide their ‘strategy’ for the sale, are you saying that you want some kind of control over them?

It’s the same down here now, go into an area that’s desirable, you can be up against a lot of folk with large savings, they can afford to add 20k if it’s getting them near what they want (work, schools, etc), most of us can’t do that and first time buyers are being pushed towards simpler, less desirable homes.

This has always occurred, for ever.

I hadn’t realised so many folk wanted us to move to a Controlled Economy – wonder how many of these folk would vote for this? 😉

spooky211
    Free Member

What Argee says. We’re on the southside of Glasgow in what is regarded as the best catchment in the country – prices are nuts and continually increasing. House round the corner (3-bed semi, extended) went on the market at offer over £365k, sold at closing a couple of days ago at £485k…13 offers I’m told. Crazy. We just sold our house, offers over £285k, HR £315K and it went for just under £340k. Interestingly when discussing the fee’s with the estate agent you could have it fixed or a %….without going into too much much detail he said that going with a % meant they’d try harder to get a higher price, how they’d do that I’m not sure but it definitely tells you that they’re at it.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

how they’d do that I’m not sure

“you’ll need to bid at least 20% above to stand a chance, it’s a very popular area/home”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.